Other German Doors Open Wrongly

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by solicitr, Feb 26, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Or rather, doors on German trains open, full stop.

Since Adam and the Preserved team will be turning to German routes soon, I thought I would point this out. Actually there was a very knowledgeable post about this some time back, with pictures and German technical terms, but I can't find it now.

Here is the problem: the driver does not open the doors. He unlocks them; it is up to the passenger to push the button and open the door. Passengers can close them too, if they like, but if they don't then the doors auto-close on a timer. On locomotives like the TRAXXes, only the door-selector rotary switch is normally used; it unlocks and locks the doors. The white toggle found on either end of the desk is an override, not used except in exceptional situations.

Also, the rotary selector switch operates backwards: the long end of the handle is the indicator, not the short end.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I also noticed on the Talent that you get all the beeping, then the door opens while the gap bridging thing extends. Usually, the gap bridge would move first while the door is beeping and staying shut, and only once in place would the door then open.

3. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

This is the same in the UK too apart from London Underground. Drivers release or enable doors not open yet all doors open in TSW. Maybe they should program it so only some doors open where passengers are alighting/boarding rather than every door.

Again, the auto-close feature is in the UK too for modern traction such as the Class 395s. The way the auto-close function works is that the door close sequence is slowed down considerably to prevent someone falling over. E.g. When driver/guard closes doors from panel, let’s say there is 2 seconds of hustle alarm followed by 3 seconds of door physically closing. With auto-close feature, this might be slowed down to 4 seconds of hustle alarm followed by 6 seconds of door physically closing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I get your point and you are right, the usual behavior (train stops, passangers open doors after unlock) is as you describe but on some occasions the train driver does it TSW-style. This happened often to me when arriving at big stations with lot of changover traffic (Frankfurt Süd, Frankfurt Hbf, Offenbach Ost, Hanau Hbf). The train stops and all doors jump open instead of just unlocking. Seems to be faster (passangers getting out and in). In summertime when a train waits at the begin/end of a route, usually the doors are all open, too (especially when the air condition is not working again)

• Like Like x 1