Remove Platform Specific Forums

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RotorHed, Feb 26, 2021.

1. RotorHed

RotorHed Member

Hi,

It seems to me that having PC, PS and Xbox discussions is leading to a lot of duplicated discussions and information. Particularly for tech issues but not only.

Another example is that if someone wants to discuss a technical aspect of a loco then they only post to part of the audience and reduce the chance of getting a good discussion going.

Can we perhaps merge the PC, PS and Xbox sub forums into one general discussion, use the PC, PS and Xbox tags for threads specific to a platform and push platform specific technical problems into the tech forum?

It seems to me that since content, use of Unreal sim fidelity and even control schemes are very similar across platforms now, there isn’t much value in keeping them separate.

The main differentiator seems to be PC mods - discussion of those could be put in their own sub forum or tagged in a general discussion.

I think this would make getting a more inclusive and less redundant discussion easier and make it simpler for DTG to keep tabs on things across platforms.

Thanks

• Like Like x 12
  2. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

I fully agree! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The more general discussions there are that are not platform specific, such as the many opinion based reactions to new routes, locos, announcements etc, and people asking for advice or info on certain aspects of the trains or the gameplay, the more it becomes necessary to have a single place to discuss them. With everyone having equal access to the whole player base. There are some very knowledgeable people in each subforum that could help those people who never stray from their own motherboard specific safe space. Let the players mingle and make this community less divided and more engaged.

There are some discussions that are platform specific but the rest would gain so much from not being pegged into a box based on hardware.

It’ll give Sam something to do, he loves a good reshuffle.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I think these platforms should stay , as they enable people to discuss things like bugs , games etc. on one certain platform

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If the post was tagged on a specific platform you still could. You would get people going "I don't get that on PC" but they'd soon be told...

• Like Like x 1
  6. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I like this suggestion. I also recall Sam mentioning it as a possibility in a stream some time ago.

In many of the platform sub-forums, the majority of posts don't seem to be specific to that platform. The ability to add an optional tag if it is platform specific would be ideal.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I'm reading all sub-forums specifically because almost no threads are platform-specific. I think getting a general sub-forum would be really good to pool the knowledge of people who might not read other sub-forums or be willing to reply to a post in a sub-forum not belonging to their platform. Granted, PC mods are the only number of big platform-specific threads which are regularly posted. Maybe they could get their own sub-forum?

The platform-specific sub-forums could stay for the odd thread that does talk about exclusive things, or we could get one platform-specific sub-forum where posts are tagged with the platform like in technical reports.

Anyway, I'm really tired of writing platform-specific and sub-forum now :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

Sam will get his bulldozer out lol

9. RotorHed

RotorHed Member

Actually identifying bugs that are specific to a platform vs across multiple platforms are a good reason to have a single sub forum. Also having one place to visit would let people identify if they had an existing issue quicker and find all the discussion on the topic.

UE is effectively the platform now - yes there can still be platform specific issues but they’re greatly reduced by sharing the same underlying engine.