Other Another German Issue: A Major One

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by solicitr, Feb 26, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The HUD incorrectly represents the upcoming signal. For some reason, the HUD currently believes that any German signal that isn't red is green. This is HIGHLY misleading; a yellow-green often (usually) means "Slow to 40 km/h"- that can be hard braking even started on time. Flashing greens under Ks mean speed reductions, as well, often dramatic ones. (Double yellows only appear on Vorsignals which the HUD ignores, so in effect there are NO cautions displayed on German routes!)

PLEASE, Adam, alter this so that the HUD shows a yellow caution for anything that isn't a plain green Proceed signal.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Green yellow red seems too simplistic for the German systems so maybe something different would be beneficial
    Maybe the down arrow with a number in it for cautionary speeds rather than a simple yellow?

3. RotorHed

RotorHed Member

I’d like the hud to show a mini version of the actual signal head (on all routes - not just German) rather than the current interpretation of what’s there.

I imagine it as a little “picture in picture” version just showing the entire signal head in a zoomed window. If this could be done with signs too - including Morpeth - even better.

Probably too tricky to implement but I’d prefer to read the signals for myself rather than have the sim do it for me. Unfortunately it’s difficult to look at trackside signals and signage because the game doesn’t offer the draw distance or resolution of “real life”.

So a zoom window with the real signal in would be a nice compromise.

• Like Like x 3
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve never found this a problem as the German signals are usually easy to see. Distant signals stand out giving advance notice of main signals. For consistency though, they probably should show a yellow for anything that’s not an actual clear green or red as that’s what all other signalling systems do in the game. Not everybody is fully up to speed on signalling systems or the difference between distant and main signals and the HUD should be there to help and a yellow aspect would do that.

5. solicitr

The thing is, what you are talking about there is a new feature, an upgrade added to the existing route (actually, probably to the core) What I'm asking for is nothing more than changing the colour on the existing display- a much, much smaller item.

6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree. I never use pzb on the ice because when your doing 155 miles per hour, it's hard to see the color of the signals so I do think that the colors for the hud signals for all german routes need to be changed which seems like a simple request

7. solicitr

The thing is, by the time you have reached the Vorsignal it may well be too late (it doesn't help that on some of the German routes, signals don't render until you're within ~400 meters compared to real-life visibility of over a kilometer, not to mention the ones hidden behind a curve). And from the time you hit the VS you have 23 seconds to drop to PZB max- not gonna happen at 160 if you don't start braking early.

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

Operating under PZB over 165 km/h is illegal. That's what LZB is for-- and for that very reason.

9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I have that issue a lot even on the slower german routes. That's why when I use trains like the 422, 423 and 425, I don't have pzb on. I just have sifa on

10. RotorHed

RotorHed Member

Oh yeah I totally understand - I’m just piggy backing on your annoyance of this issue.

Actually though it might not be that hard if they’re going to look at changing the icon, to just change it to be a pixel based depiction of the actual signal rather than a green, yellow or red blob.

The “problem” is how DTG has implemented logic to interpret what a complex German signal means as a simple green, yellow or red circle.

They could ditch that logic altogether and put a graphic there that shows exactly what the signal looks like and let the driver do the logic. After all there are only a small number of valid signal combinations - the “head” itself is one of about 3 shapes and then it’s just a case of lighting the relevant lights with green, yellow or red lights (and white maybe) based on the signal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think you are too. The signals have to be read by the HUD display system and then "do something" so whether that thing is show two yellows, one yellow, a speed or something else, the HUD is having to interpret what that signal is an act accordingly