London - Brighton Screenshots

Discussion in 'Creation Centre' started by Hypz, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Being playing some London Brighton on my laptop (not the best graphics) and I took a load of screenshots just wondering if I can have some feedback on them!

Thx

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Just remember to take the FPS off the screen when screenshotting ;)
    Looks like a gloomy day in the South

3. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Yeah, just realised that. Makes me look stupid running on a work laptop with no graphics card at 15fps lol

4. ARuscoe

I started out on a microsoft surface running at a locked 15fps... Even when I moved to PC I locked it at 30fps to stop the processor trying to push FPS rather than allowing the game to run at 1:1 speed
    I prefer to have a 30 minute scenario actually last that long rather than try to push 80FPS but run at much slower than real time

5. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

On my Xbox One S im always locked at 30 or more if there aren't mounds of layers but I'm hoping to get a decent PC some time in the future

6. ARuscoe

This is Train Simulator rather than TSW
    I don't know (or care) what framerate TSW runs at because it does run at realtime no matter what I've got running on my second screen
    TSx slows down to a crawl trying to pump frames from what I've seen

7. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

Sorry, going off topic lol. I experienced that as well, but I did see abt 18-20 fps so im happy with it a bit.

8. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

If you use the Steam options way to put up FPS, it doesn't appear in screenshots, so you don't have to keep toggling it on and off.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Errr.... frame rate doesn't actually speed up, or slow down how long a scenario lasts, or how fast the trains actually travel :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

What button is it to show the steam frame rate I know shift and z is the TS frame rate

11. ARuscoe

This was a few years back in 32 bit mode, don't know if it's lessened nowadays...
    The CPU was trying to push frames meaning it spent time trying to push info to the GPU rather than keeping 1:1 time. I proved this (to myself if nobody else) by limiting the framerate to 15 on the laptop and then it ran 1:1 most places bar London terminals.
    If you have evidence to the contrary by all means state it, but I know what happened back then

12. Pookeyhead

Distance travelled, or speed/time is not altered by frame rate, and never has been.

13. ARuscoe

In game time vs real time
    If you start at 09:00 in game and 09:00 in real life but the in game clock lags to ½ a second per real second while trying to push out 60fps then the game take twice as long to play
    So yes, the CPU trying to push info has a direct correlation to the in game time frame, and TSx is very much dependent on CPU single core capability rather than just about any other factor

14. Pookeyhead

So are you seriously suggesting that at 30fps a scenario will actually last longer than if it 40fps? yes or no :)

15. ARuscoe

I'm saying that the machine trying to push out 40 frames (and failing) will slow down the clock more than it would trying to push 30 frames, so on a very "potato" machine (such as a microsoft surface) limiting the framerate means that the machine will keep better time than otherwise (so the opposite of your sarcasm above)
    So limiting the framerate in certain circumstances will mean that a 30 minute scenario may well last 30 minutes where otherwise it will not.
    Don't believe me? Take out half your RAM and offboard GPU forcing the machine to run on the inbuilt GPU, don't limit frames and then run a full run from GLM - VIC (with AI included) and time it. You'll find a discrepency between "game time" and real time with game time being slower

16. Pookeyhead

I don't have an inbuilt GPU, and I'd still have 8GB if I took half out. Who runs TS on a Surface?

17. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

I run on a Lenovo ThinkPad on 4GB of RAM it’s yukk quality

18. Pookeyhead

Still better than a MS Surface probably.

19. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

if you Shift Tab, at the very bottom middle of the overlay, is settings and in one of the options, there’s a display frame rate.

Doing it this way, it can be very unobtrusive in the top right corner, plus it doesn’t appear in screenshots.

Also in those options, you can deselect ‘play a sound’ for screenshots. Something I did with a day or two if buying it, was driving me potty!

20. ARuscoe

I used to. So what were you saying abotu the time dilation issue because you were so insistent and now seem to be sidestepping

21. Pookeyhead

No. No matter what fps I'm running at here, their is no change in the actual time the scenario runs for. The comment on the Surface was an aside because I'm amazed you even tried. It must have been a horrible experience.

22. Hypz

Hypz Active Member

True, at least surfaces run on 8Gig of RAM

23. ARuscoe

Jittery, but then I don't really care about smoothness etc, but having a 45 minute scenario take over an hour to play was annoying

24. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

There are some things about the clocks - check Technical Reports section - but it doesn't matter too much.

As for the screenies. The colors are fine, might not work well in a bright setting, but bright enough to enjoy and moody.
    1. Appreciate the attempt for framing and the diagonal, but it's a very bland spot, emphasized by lack of detail due to zoom.
      Might possibly work with some heavy cropping.
    2. Me likey. Good composition.
    3. Could work, but the signal is obstructing it. Moving a bit to the right could have possibly salvaged it (1/3 rule or otherwise).
    4. Fairly standard, but nice shot.
    FPS is Shift+Z (or maybe Y on English keyboard, qwertz here). It's funny because if you press Alt+Z or Ctrl+Z, those don't exist so it will be treated as Z and turn off (or on) your engine. ;-)

25. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I play TS 2021 on a Decade old MacBook from 2010 that I bootcamped

Some routes are playable
    Others not so much (ECMLS: L2P being a prime example)