PlayStation Sandbox Mode / Just Shunt Trains?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by borg#1850, Feb 25, 2021.

1. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Morning Group

I was just wondering if there is anything like a sandbox mode, where you can create your own stuff track / yards? Put in a track plan of your home layout?

Also if there is a way of just shunting wagons/ coaches about, say with the 08 or a 20? So not in a game mode, just forming trains up.

Chris

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

no way for making track, and that will never come as the unreal engine is not user friendly. Currently there are some services and scenarios. In sand patch grade there is a free roam around the yard as a scenario i believe but i can check for you.
    Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 2
  3. borg#1850

Thanks Alex look forward to your comments. Sand Patch Grade is a USA place if my old memory serves me correctly

4. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

yep!

5. box215

box215 Active Member

Both SPG and OSD have free roam scenarios where you have access to an entire yard to shunt to you hearts content

SPG scenario is called Cumberland Switchback. You have free access to Cumberland Yard
    OSD scenario is called Hamilton Explorer. You have free access to the Hamilton Industrial Zone

I formed a train that was 1.3 miles long in Cumberland Switchback, good fun
    fcf9cd4b-1855-4d11-ab20-76e7b831cd98.png
    Hope you enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  6. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

On PS4? Got 5 fps with a 1.3 miles long train? ;)

7. box215

box215 Active Member

That was on Xbox One X
    The frame rate wasnt great but it was more than 5 lol

One day I'll try again on my Series X, but it honestly took several hours and a couple of saves

• Like Like x 2
  8. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for spamming but I just can't contain myself.
    OSD sounds like a mental disorder if said it out loud.

Anyway, regarding the topic, you can use NTP and MSB as well for shunting and those services are also playable in timetable mode, that basically is free roaming across the route.

• Like Like x 2
  9. borg#1850

Thanks Guys
    I worked out what SPG = Sandpatch Grade
    But what is NTP or MSB?
    My PS4 is downstairs and my laptop upstairs.

Sorry I am an Old Fart (64 Years Young) LOL, text speak I have not used since the first days of mobile phones where you only had 144 characters per text for you 10p!

Thanks for your responses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Northern Trans Pennine and Main Spessart Bahn respectively

• Like Like x 1
  11. borg#1850

Thanks Kenny, I will have to write down what I have in long form and then do the translation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

What's OSD?

Obviously SPG is Vivian's Hamster from Young ones (ok, I know I'm probably the only in person to know the name of the hamster!)

• Like Like x 2
  13. borg#1850

Please note this is for a PS4 as sometimes I see people make comments that seemingly are for a PC.

I have just checked and I do not have SPG (Sand Patch Grade) :( The Version I have is TSW 2020 for a PS4.
    I have these routes
    OS Oakville Subdivision
    ES East Coast Way
    PC Peninsula Corridor
    TVL Tees Valley Line
    MSB Main-Spessart Bahn
    NTP Northern Trans-Pennine
    LIRR Long Island Rail Road
    RSN Ruhr-Sieg Nord
    WSR West Somerset Railway
    RT Rapid Transit
    GWE Great Western Express
    NNY NEC New York

I also do not have the extra's
    Creative Tools
    Livery Designer
    Scenario Planner
    SimuGraph

I note that I could Buy one of three choices in Sony Store, from the in game icon
    TSW2
    TSW Digital Deluxe Edition
    TSW Collectors Edition
    If I was to buy one does it just upgrade my version or install a new one. Do I have to start all over again :|.

It would mean I would duplicate a few routes that I already have or have bought.

Varying prices for the above one with 35% off.

What would people recommend or what can you advise me.
    Thanks again in advance.
    Chris

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, TSW2 is a different game, so it would be a new install. TSW2020 is no longer being developed for, all new routes will only come out for TSW2.

The routes you already have will carry over from TSW2020 to TSW2, they are called the Preserved Collection, they're all accessible from TSW2 once you download them, so no need to buy them again.

As for which to buy, the deluxe edition currently looks best as it's £17.99. If you particularly want Haupstrecke Rhein-Ruhr (which is the only route in the preserved collection you'd gain by going for the Collector's edition but that is £54.99) then that also is currently on sale as a route for £13.74.

I think the Deluxe edition is a no-brainer in your case at the current Sale price, but I don't know how long it will be that price for!

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

They have said in the past that they want to continue to update the scenario planner based on the communities feedback, although they obviously have some more important, overdue updates under way (such as bug fixes for Preserved routes from TSW) I know a lot of community has been asking for the ability to create shunting scenarios in a more Sandbox manner. I would actually love to see something like a consist editor that lets us take locomotives and wagons in the game and individually place them in a train set, and adding the ability to place trains on any siding or track on a route. This would be a great update to have in with TSW2’s core yearly game update, assuming that will continue to happen like with TSW!

• Like Like x 1
  16. borg#1850

Thanks Simon.
    I also have bought some locos (Class 33, 20, 52, might have bought something else to, a USA switcher I know for certain) so presume they will also just be available as down loads for free. I will make sure I have a full list of what I have and start the routes again. I am sure I have something I bought for TSW2 (By accident) which is stuck in downloads on my PS4 at present.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

FYI the NEC NY Route and its accompanying loco DLC (SW1000R/Keystone cabcar and CSX GP40-2) are not playable in TSW2. You might want to hold off on deleting your copy of TSW2020 if you still want to play it. Also, not sure if you know, but that route also includes a "free switching" scenario (CSX portion only)- forget what it's called but shouldn't be hard to find.

Edit: forgot to answer your question lol. Yes, except for what i mentioned above, all owned TSW2020 content will be available to install in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. borg#1850

Hello All
    I went for the Train Sim World Collectors Edition as it was on Special at £29.24. Gave me the extra route HRR Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr saved £24.99 or £21.49 from the other versions.
    I actually have to say that compared to some other games I have played on my PS4 / PC / Tablet, TSW is value for money. considering the amount of gameplay I get from it for my £ per hour I play it. :):D

• Like Like x 3