Route Suggestion: Chicago & Northwestern / Union Pacific | Geneva Subdivision | Updated!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ingenzone, Nov 30, 2020.

?
  1. Chicago & Northwestern - Classic

60.0%
  2. Union Pacific - Modern

14.0%
  3. Metra UP West line - 1984 to Present

26.0%
  1. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

It has been a while since this route suggestion has gotten some attention, so I've decided to shed some light on it again. This time, I am covering a revised version of the route map. This map is specific to the Chicago and Northwestern era. If there's enough demand, I'll work on the modern Union Pacific and Metra routes.

Let me know if the map has some issues appearing. Sometimes, it appears fine on my screen, but on my other computer, it does not show up. If this is the case, I'll try to repost the photo.

CNW Map Revision 1
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.12.31 PM.png My next revision will focus on scenic markers along the route, such as the various rivers, airports, bridges, forests, farms, and cities.

Map Legend:
    1 - Proviso Yard
    2 - West Chicago Yard
    3 - DeKalb, IL.
    4 - Nelson, IL.
    5 - Sterling Steel Plant
    6 - Clinton Railroad Bridge
    7 - ADM Plant
    The yellow line represents a portion containing Union Pacific Global II. This wasn't built at the time of CNW, so disregard it in the photo.

For an explanation on why the map looks like this, please read my previous replies and my main post. In short, these lines are select portions of the entire route. This is to make the route shorter while containing all of the necessary portions.

As I continue work on the Route Map, I may attach photos of all of the markers to help better visualize the route and era. These would probably be found in the replies.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

Here is a poll where we can all vote on it properly. Note- You can not vote if you have a VPN- You will have to disable it.
    Link- https://strawpoll.com/h1wkxo36h

3. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Didn’t know the “el” was an option, but that gets my vote. I’m honestly surprised we don’t see many suggestions for the “el” on here. It would really be a unique one for them, since they’ve never done something like that before.

4. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

It is, there is actually a thread- https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/chicago-l.33008/#post-261527

5. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

If DTG made an 'L' route, I would happily purchase it. However, I'm still skeptical on the whole idea because I can't see DTG doing an entire city like Chicago. I mean, for a route like that, you'd have to make a super accurate (not to mention, massive) city because of the way the L's are built. TSW has great graphics, but to keep to that high standard for something like this may put DTG to the test. I'd definitely be impressed if they pull it off though!

Thanks for keeping my post alive!

(p.s. "el" is actually written as "L" but I know plenty of people who write it both ways so it doesn't really matter)

• Like Like x 2
  6. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

Hey all! I thought it was time to make a quick update here. I recently met an engineer who worked for CNW on the Geneva Subdivision at the time. He proof-read through my suggestion and most of it is accurate, so that was neat! Corrections will be made to the main document over the next few days.

In the meantime, here's some more photos of the route. Like always, please let me know if images do not appear.

[​IMG]
    CNW EMD F7 and GP30s cross the Fox River Bridge - Circa 1980

The photo above shows an older style of autoracks (I'm not sure what the type is). This would be cool to add to the route for its old-school style and rarity in modern times.

[​IMG]
    CNW GP50s pass the Nelson coaling tower in Nelson, IL.

[​IMG]
    I wanted to show an example of a CNW caboose appropriate for the era. The bay window caboose was used from the 70s, up until the merge in 1995. This also shows some common car types (and style) in CNW manifests. I believe this photo was taken at Rochelle, IL.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

It's time for another batch of photos. Today, I'm focusing on the city of DeKalb. The town is fairly well known for having Northern Illinois University and a small GA airport. It also sees plenty of railroad activity each day.

[​IMG]
    A view taken from atop of the coaling tower. This shows a good chunk of the town and the many industries that made for some great railroad activity. (Circa 1979)

[​IMG]
    Here is a view of said coaling tower. Towards the left is where the airport is located. (Circa 1997 - Post Merger)

Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 3.50.33 PM.png
    An eastbound Falcon Service train, with a GP50 leading. Note the UP power. Since only two locomotives were painted in FC liveries, most Falcon Services looked like this. (Circa 1984)

There is definitely some potential with a few good services in this area; ones that we haven't seen before. If DTG wants to experiment with some more local freight services in the future, this is a good starting point.

I'll keep posting more photos in this area along with our regularly unscheduled programming in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

Would love to see some C&NW! My Dad worked in their main office from I think 1965 or ‘66 (held his job when he was sent to Vietnam) until they merged with UP in I think ‘95 or ‘96.

I would love to see any love for Chicago railroading for that matter. I purchased TS just for the Racetrack Aurora to Chicago route. While the chance of that is nil due to complications with BNSF licensing, I hope they could work separate with Metra and/or UP on another route. Not sure if DTG was explicitly shot down by Metra for licensing or if they only dealt with BNSF over Racetrack.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they were denied the Metra License, DTG doesn't have a very good track record for licensing for Commuter Railroads in TS21 (Aside from Caltrain, Metro-North, and NJT), as the Metra Stock is unbranded for both the US and Worldwide versions of the route.

10. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

Like I said, not sure if Metra flat out told them no or if they (or the third party that made the route) only dealt with BNSF. Once the whole “US licensing only” came out, they may not have bothered with it.

In a recent stream (I cannot remember which, it may’ve been a Clinchfield preview), someone asked about Metra and Sam said they would love to do Metra (prior to his stock “put it in the suggestion forum” reply ) without acknowledging anything suggesting that Metra ever said no. He could’ve just been being mum about the issue though.