PlayStation Train Sim World 2 - Ps5

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Having played Train Sim World 2 for a while on PS5, particularly SEHS, here are my initial thoughts.
    1. Load times are significantly reduced, which makes a huge, very noticeable difference.
    2. The constant, higher frame rate makes everything feel silky smooth. There is no judder to the motion of trains and there are no noticeable sound cut outs.
    3. There is no change to the amount of scenery loading in. You can still see scenery loading in quite noticeably along the route, though this does to load in faster and smoother. This suggests that certain parts of the route are being told when to appear by the coding rather than limitations to the hardware. I suspect this is to ensure the original PS4 and Xbox can cope by limiting what is loaded and when. Hopefully as more people switch to the PS5 and new Xbox, the more scenery can be loaded into the game at once without affecting frame rates etc.
    4. The PS5 is absolutely silent. No fan noise whatsoever and I have mine in a closed cabinet with an opening at the rear for wires etc.
    5. Once DTG begin to optimise the game for PS5 and the new Xbox, I am excited to see how much better the game can run. It is blatantly obvious the original PS4 and Xbox are holding the game back somewhat.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Just a couple of notes here:

1: It does make a huge difference. Even loading from an external HDD is quicker thanks to USB 3.0.
    2: The frame rate is really good with only the occasional drop (usually the older routes when there's other traffic)
    3: It is a bit smoother but still annoying with the pop in.
    4: Yep, it is quiet and when the fan does kick in, it's usually only for a few seconds and is still quieter than the PS4/PS4 pro.
    I wouldn't recommend running the PS5 in a closed cabinet. The PS5 still needs airflow and there has been a few cases where units have overheated and broken due to lack of airflow in a closed cabinet. Even having a hole in the back of a cabinet does not give enough airflow
    5: I really do hope for optimisation for the newer consoles but I suspect this will be a long way off as PS4 support by Sony won't end until 2023 at the earliest.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Yep, I thought it sounds a bit risky having it in a closed cabinet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Nowhere else to place the PS5 without buying a new cabinet. It has the whole side of the cabinet to itself with plenty of space all round it and the opening in the back of the cabinet is relatively substantial. It has plenty of room to breath anyway.

If the PS4 Pro was in position instead, its fans would be roaring, even on a fan plinth with extra fans blowing air into the vents. Always had to keep the cabinet open for it to survive.

It’s night and day different.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Your PS5 will end up the same way if left to run in an enclosed space.

The PS4 had a few issues that resulted in its noise issue, however one of the big contributors was the fact that it’s vent space for intake was ridiculously limited.

Don’t repeat Sony’s mistake for them by keeping it in a cupboard.

• Like Like x 3
  6. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

You wait till you get 'coil whine', I've only noticed it once while I left it on the home screen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I get this too in a couple of places but hopefully the issue doesn’t become worse.

Having had my PS5 for a few months now I am becoming a little worried about what it’s going to sound like in a couple of years running a demanding PS5 title.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve heard of coil whine, but don’t fully understand it.

9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Simply put there are coils within the power supply unit that induct electricity, so as the system demands more power, the coils ‘whine’, the issue seems to exist because Sony cheaped out on them.

The issue isn’t a consistent one either, some people have the noise that is very loud, others have it quiet, some don’t have it at all.

If you experience it then you can try putting the console in the opposite position and seeing if that helps.

In the end the PS5 was designed to run cool, not silent, and while excessive coil whine is down to a defect from the manufacturing process, some coil noise is normal considering the parts used within the PS5.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. dan5324

dan5324 Active Member

Yep just played it on the ps5 for the first time. And wow. Wow indeed. Fantastic frame rate. Sounds are somehow better I guess due to the ps5 new audio tech. Much deeper colours thanks to HDR for every game on ps5 plus lovely 4K textures which make the class 395 look absolutely beautiful makes the cab so much clearer. Just makes you wonder how good and advanced they could make this if they focused on next gen only...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

Ha ha, I fired up the PS4 pro tonight (It has TSW2 on it), it sounded like a harrier jump jet trying to take off! Never realised how noisey the game is on it, fan is on full blast trying to cool down constantly.
    I think that because my PS5 is behind the TV i can hardly hear it, I'm actually enjoying the game more on the PS5 now.

• Like Like x 2
  12. danistarwars

danistarwars Active Member

Just a question, I just got a chance to order mine. But do you need to start all over again? Like with level and 100% a route?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You don’t have to. You can copy your save file over using PS Plus or a USB Drive, but I chose to start again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dan5324

dan5324 Active Member

Nope. Can transfer over either via the cloud or via external storage like a hard drive or usb drive.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

I tend to go for the USB method much easier in my view

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I managed to bag a PS5 at the weekend and just last night I tried TSW2 on it and wow is all I can say. I'm coming from a screaming PS4 Pro to a silent PS5. The games is so smooth and fast to load. The colours, textures and sound are all improved. The improved frame rate is fantastic and the cab details as so much easier to see and read.

PS5 really transforms this game for the better, I can only imagine an optimised version of the game for next gen would be like.

I'm really itching for the PC only layers for HMA now.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Yes, for those of you not as lucky as us to have it on PS5 yet I am hoping the stock situation gets better soon and you can pick one up if you intend to. Coming from the base PS4 to the PS5 it is a massive change in quality and I can see so much more detail that was always there but not as defined as it is in 4k.
    Loading times are faster too. I also play Battlefield 5 on my PS5 and this is still only a PS4 title. When going into the lobby I arrive a full 20 seconds before my friends do who are still on PS4

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cleggy001

Cleggy001 New Member

I am recently new to the TSW 2 community having only joined before Christmas last year. I enjoyed the game on the PS4 and have recently managed to get hold of a PS5, I agree the load times and the colours are far superior, can’t wait for a fully optimised PS5 next generation version.

• Like Like x 1
  19. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Probably no good for us plebs still using an HD Plasma tv though apart from the faster load times and perhaps smoother running. I Love my 3D plasma though. It might not be 4K but it’s colours are so much more natural to me than 4k which I personally find far too sharp and bright and not as natural looking if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

I seriously wish I could find a PS5, if only to silence my poor PS4 Pro. Every time I start up TSW2 the wife comes around the corner asking if I've gotten really ambitious and decided to do some vacuuming (I haven't).

• Like Like x 3
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's because UE4 employs tile loading; basically as you approach a new "square" of scenery the system loads it into RAM. On PC this can be disabled by console commands or the engine.ini file, but I don't think you can rummage around under the hood on Playstation.

• Like Like x 1
  22. gittes#8304

gittes#8304 New Member

Haha, I feel you, my wife says she can't sleep (in a different room) when I'm playing TSW2 at night! PS5s are becoming slightly more available now (in Poland), but it's almost impossible to buy just the console, they always come in bundles and you have to pay at least a 100 dollars / euros over the list price, which I am not willing to do just yet.

• Like Like x 1