New Patch To Make Ts2021 Load Faster.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trev123, Mar 2, 2021.

1. trev123

trev123 Active Member

2. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

It's possible that - because it's a 3rd Party built route (non-DTG) - that it doesn't use .AP files, most 3rd Party content doesn't.

If it doesn't use AP files, then you won't see an improvement, as this patch is purely to improve the loading times for routes that have assets packed into AP files.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trev123

trev123 Active Member

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

5. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

It's a real shame TS doesn't have a utility available like MSFS 2000 where you can choose the craft and scenery you're going to use rather than load the entire file for use. It's made a huge difference to MSFS load times.

6. DPSimulation

DPSimulation Active Member

However, you could pack them into an .ap yourself if you wanted to in order to take advantage of the new core improvements.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. RailRoadEngineer

RailRoadEngineer Member

there is always a _.sbn and _.sbn.MD5 they include in .ap files but I don't know its meaning.

8. DPSimulation

DPSimulation Active Member

I believe they are some sort of checksum file. They certainly aren't needed to make an .ap file work with custom content, I created one on my own route yesterday and the reduction in loading times was dramatic. Instructions on how to create them were in post #19 of the announcement thread yesterday.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RailRoadEngineer

RailRoadEngineer Member

10. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. ceejay#9369

ceejay#9369 New Member

I noticed that, when I bought the route. I happen to know how to create .ap files, They are not really a secret. There just needs to be an easy to use tool to painlessly create them from your third party assets/scenarios/routes, and make all our third party stuff load faster. (and keep our Train Simulator folders tidy too)

HINT HINT DTG: that "Utilities" program is long overdue for an overhaul and 64 bit, maybe add that facility, the creation of .ap files to it?.

12. ceejay#9369

ceejay#9369 New Member

Totally correct. They are just checksums for DTG to use for the verification, And I was going to post a bit of an instruction on how to create the .ap files, And what they really are, but thanks to someone above, its already explained, so I don't have to. I must make a tool for doing that or something, I can program too.

13. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I think that lots of people now use 7Zip to extract RWP files now. The only downside is that you cannot uninstall an RWP file easily by using 7Zip like you can with Utilities.