Class 73

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Feb 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Is it me or do I actually prefer the version with the coupler out?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Post #20

• Like Like x 1
  3. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Still struggling to find them.

I’ll looked under Career and Standard Scenarios - I’ve got one VP73 scenario now appearing in Standard that wasn’t there five minutes ago, but only two pre-existing 73 scenarios under career.

Even the paper train scenario I was originally playing that led me to post about the 73 has gone from my list.

There’s no scenarios for the 73 listed in either the MKS manual or on the Steam store page that I can get a name to search for.

I’ve cleared the cache and restarted twice, but no joy. Hopefully it’ll sort things out in due course....

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you look on the DTG Gatwick Express page it says
    Scenarios
    Three scenarios for the London-Brighton route:
    • A Crowded Space (Class 489)
    • Outbound Express (Class 73)
    • Return Diversion (Class 489)
    The VP Class 73 Reskins are just that
    They do not come with a pile of scenarios
    They do not come with Quick Drive

So find a scenario that uses something and swap it for something else - 5 min job

There is a very nice scenario for a Network Rail Test Train from Peterborough to Finsbury Park
    I have cloned that scenario and used other locos on it - like this
    Screenshot_ECML London - Peterborough_51.61463--0.14378_16-07-22.jpg
    Find a scenario and swap locos

5. inversnecky

This is the scenario I started with, double headed 73s pulling a parcels/newspapers train on the Chatham Mainline out of Victoria.

Screenshot_Chatham Main Line_51.46376--0.11885_05-42-43.jpg

That scenario seems to have gone for some reason. Was going to replace them with the new MKS 73s.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You do seem to like those crap DTG 73's instead of the MKS version

7. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Yes, because the MKS models all have the high intensity light Peter, I wanted one without the headlight so I can use it on older routes to make it look more authentic. Nobody else besides DTG have developed such a model, so, MKS for new liveries, DTG for old, that's all we have in the game.

Cheerz. Steve.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

ex-railwayman I replied to somebody else's post and you reply with this statement?

9. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Why jump down someone's throat if their opinion differs from yours? You made a sweeping statement on this forum as to why folks like inversnecky, and many others of us including me, drive these, in your words, CRAP DTG 73s, I gave an answer as to why I do it, and it's probably why inversnecky does it, as well, it might be a crap model to you, but, not to us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I'm not jumping down your throat
    I was asking why you replied to me when I replied to inversnecky

If you like the DTG 73 that is fine - as you say it does not have a High Intensity Headlight
    And I'm not having a go at you or anyone else

I don't like the way you get an Emergency Brake Application if you overload the loco which is totally unrealistic
    But DTG could not be bothered to fix it which is why I don't like it and the MKS loco is so much better

11. inversnecky

How do you add the VP reskins, in TS Tools? Hitherto I've always seen variants available in the new consist options, but they don't seem to appear.

That Paper Run route kept jinxing me - was running it with the MKS73, had to save and return, then found the windscreen wiper wouldn't work, so had to drive half the route looking out the window as the screen was covered with rain.

12. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

I personally don't use TS Tools for the VP reskins, I have found using their recommended install option works for me.
    There is usually an automated exe file in the zip file that you download from VP. (The Class 73 pack certainly does)
    1. Extract the files from the Zip file using 7-Zip or equivalent.
    2. Open the folder you just extracted and Right Click the app / exe file and choose the Run as Administrator option from the menu.
    That's it.
    This has always worked for me up to now, hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  13. inversnecky

Can someone help me out here - is the MKS73 just something you can swap in via TS Tools? I can't find an MKS 73 in my list of trains for a QD.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It comes under 73 -pick that and you will be given the option of which loco to run.
    The only MKS locos shown are the Southern and Gatwick Express "Dave Berry" .

When I want a QD with a 73 I pick the train I want - like a 33 on Mk1s - then when the Scenario starts Pause it
    Go in to the Scenario Editor and swap the loco you chose for the 73 - that way you can use the VP versions if you want
    Move the engine the QD gave you to an adjacent track but don't delete it
    Then put your 73 on the front of the train - Drag the instructions off the original loco on to the 73 and then delete the original loco
    F2 to save and you are ready to roll

Peter

15. Chuckles2k3

Chuckles2k3 New Member

You can swap in tstools by editing the scenario, finding the player consist and swapping it out for a preferred loco.

An alternative is to use locoswap, https://rail-sim.de/forum/thread/34356-locoswap-fahrzeuge-einfacher-tauschen/

Which is very easy to use and slightly more user friendly than tstools, though tstools has a much more wide ranging and powerful feature set.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

But you can not use either option in a Free Roam Scenario

17. inversnecky

Yeah I was familiar with editing for a scenario, but wanted the MKS 73 to appear in the Quick Drive menu.

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The two 73s are there but as Light Engines

19. inversnecky

Thanks, will have another look, I guess I was looking for an MKS designation to make them stand out.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  20. Chuckles2k3

Chuckles2k3 New Member

Ah! Apologies.

I jumped to the wrong end of the stick!

• Like Like x 1
  21. inversnecky

As yes, the named ones. Found I had a consist of a BR blue one too listed separately.

22. inversnecky

Happy New Year, all!

I was trying a scenario in Portsmouth Direct Line that utilises the MKS 73 (that comes with the 460).

Initially you have to start it in diesel mode, but I can’t see how to get the diesel lever to move. There’s nothing in the manual that offers help. I’ve pressed F and Z and got the engine running, but the diesel lever won’t budge, only the electric one.

In the DTG 73, you use the A/D keys in reverse for electric and diesel operations, but no such thing here.

Help gratefully appreciated!

23. You need to change the power mode (ctrl A) between diesel or third rail. From memory aws needs to be active also.

24. inversnecky

Thanks, DD, AWS sorted, but I wasn’t aware of the Ctrl A - didn’t see it mentioned in the manual at all, but maybe I scanned too quickly. Will give that a go when next on, thanks.

25. inversnecky

Wondering if anyone can comment on the logic of the notch controller on the Class 73.

The AC Class 81-7 have notch down as well as notch up, but the Class 73 doesn’t have this option, with only run down below hold.

What is behind the omission of notch down on the 73s? I’d have thought it would make it much easier to maintain a constant speed with a notch down option, allowing fine adjustments to be made, instead of going straight into run down? (Rather than leaving a temporary light brake application as the only way to do this.)

Have any of our resident drivers experience driving both class types who can comment on the practical effects on driving of this difference?

26. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  27. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

With the Class 73 in the game you can reduce power by going to Run Down briefly then Hold.
    It will reduce the power back to one of the other notches.