How Can Dtg Nail The 465 But Still Have Sound Issues With The 395 And 375

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DEXCON, Mar 4, 2021.

?
  1. 395 and 375 are not good enough

2. 395 is not good enough. But the 375 is fine

3. 375 is not good enough. But the 395 is fine

4. 395 and 375 are fine

5. How do you mean the sound quality of the 465 is good?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DEXCON

DEXCON Member

I am speechless. DTG just nailed the 465. Sound quality is very good. Sounds are at good levels and authentic. A very good experience and a very good investment.

However this lead to a question. How can you guys make this train so good but meanwhile the 395 and 375 are not on the same audio level. I would give the 395 a 7 out of 10 and the 375 a 6 out of 10 but the 465 would definitely be a 9 out of 10. So yea this leads to the following issues.

375:
    - There is a coach where I can hear a constant air rushing sound for some reason. Even when you're not braking or touching any controls.
    - There is no like deep sound when the train passes. The sound it makes doesn't seem to be a sound a train would make when driving by.

395:
    - The outside sound is very soft. If you listen to video's of train vloggers walking next to a 395 at the station you can definitely hear a lot of auxiliary but in TSW you can only hear some sound when you're directly next to a bogie where a traction motor is located.
    - There is a very short compressor sound when the reservoir is being filled. This is only hearable for 2 seconds or something wich seems not very realistic when charging a resevoir.
    - There is no outside noice when the wipers are on. Also, there seems to be no difference in wiper speed setting selecting between 40 and 60.
    - At higer speeds, the sound of the traction motor fades away. Is this normal? The power output at higher speeds will be lower but you can't hear the traction motor's at all going higher than 160 kph. Or is this normal?

I think there can be improvements made on the sound regarding the class 375 and 395. These are the trains coming stock with the route and should have good sound quality. But ofcourse that's only my opinion.

What do you guys think? Do you think the 375 and 395 are at the same level as the 465?

• Like Like x 3
  2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I have purchased the 465/9 this afternoon, so far loving it, thank you DTG

• Like Like x 4
  3. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

I have purchased the 465/9.i very like class 465/9

• Like Like x 3
  4. AndrewWhite96

AndrewWhite96 Member

Think its because DTG are using AP sounds for the 465. But tbh AP sounds should just be the standard.

• Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

The answer is... Armstrong Powerhouse provided the sounds for the 465. :D

• Like Like x 13
  6. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

^ exactly this a clear quality difference between Armstrong powerhouse sounds and DTG.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

Yeah, hopefully they will do more in the future. I don't know how much they've collaborated on sounds in the past. Particularly for TSW, but I think they did for TS, although I could be mistaken, because I pretty much bought every AP product back in my TS days. But hopefully it's a new precedent for TSW.

• Like Like x 7
  8. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

DTG seems to have decided to only give the class 465 the incredible sound quality of Armstrong Powerhouse sounds. However they decided to give the default trains (395 and 375) very lame sounds, idk why but, like another person has said, DTG should give every train in TSW, at least from the 465 onward, AP sounds so sound quality can be balanced between locomotive dlc and the default trains included in a route.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The 395 definitely needs improvement to the external sound. In my opinion, having watched plenty of YouTube videos from outside the train, the 395 in TSW 2 sounds nothing like the real thing.

The 375 and 377 both need significant improvements to their sound profiles. It is disappointing and frustrating when DTG gets the sound right for some trains and not others.

• Like Like x 6
  10. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

With the sounds of the 465 being so iconic they had no choice but to make sure they were spot on, I don't see it being a common occurrence though as I'm sure whatever deals they have in place eat into DTGs profits somewhat.

• Like Like x 5
  11. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

if train sim world uses Armstron Powerhouse more. we on the road to an even better game

• Like Like x 15
  12. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Class 395 exterior sounds ( the running ones) are reused sounds from the German Dostos, ridicouless...

• Like Like x 6
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yes the sounds of the base trains of the route need major improvements. Hell the 375 uses the 377 sounds which is incorrect for the 375. Their consistency is just so bad and I would love to know why

• Like Like x 1
  14. JayTG123

JayTG123 Active Member

By having AP onboard (should have been from the outset personally) its then in both DTG's & AP's interest to keep improving and ultimately carry on working together and remain successful... the shear amount of praise the 465 sounds have had already should tell DTG everything they need to know going forwards with any new or updated DLC. Great job guys!!

• Like Like x 8
  15. tallboy7648

Yeah I noticed that. That is not realistic whatsoever. A absolute joke in my opinion. No wonder sehs got mixed reviews overall

• Like Like x 4
  16. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Regarding the wiper speed on the 395..... I believe the 40 and 60 is wipes per minute So the wiper moves at the same actual speed but it does it roughly 40 times per minute with a pause between each wipe or roughly 60 wipes per minute with no pause between wipes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. DEXCON

DEXCON Member

ahhhh okay. But there is no pause when you select the 40 times per minute. Thanks for the insight!

• Like Like x 1
  18. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Honeslty, DTG really think that they could get away with that. I was looking forward to SEHS because of the 395 and the train ended up being a complety mess...

• Like Like x 4
  19. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... You’re quite right. I haven’t used the 395 in the rain since I first got the route and I’m sure there was a slight pause between wipes on the 40 setting as I remember thinking that was the only difference between 40 and 60.

I’d say it’s something that has somehow been broken by one of the updates?

• Like Like x 4
  20. MetrolinkF125#916

I can agree with y’all saying that the 395/375 sounds are reused and out of place and unrealistic. The 395 sounds more like an electric car than an EMU imo, and the 375, well, a 377 clone basically. I know they can’t go do the research themselves cuz of covid but why didn’t they use the AP sounds in the default trains in the first place?

• Like Like x 4
  21. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

There should be a permanent contract for AP to provide sounds for TSW (British) when and wherever possible, as the sounds DTG provide 90% of the time suck.

It may sound harsh but it’s true. There’s a clear difference between AP sounds and DTG sounds. The reason why AP are able to thrive is because DTG constantly let down on sounds, as well as other things too,

• Like Like x 13
  22. MetrolinkF125#916

Hmm, there are some cases where DTG sounds excell, and that is proven in the Peninsula Corridor route. This might be a little off topic, but that route has amazing sounds, and it’s an American route. Meanwhile DTG begin a British dev, making a lot British routes/locos, and they can’t get the sounds right most of the time? This is something that kinda has me thinking, but yes I agree and I have also stated this myself: DTG should use more of the AP sounds in British dlc, and if they do the dlcs will be much better in terms of sound quality.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

TGV has very good sounds, which I think are DTG? So that would be another exception, but agree that they or also often lacklustre.

• Like Like x 2
  24. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Agree, watching the stream by MegaSim the 465 sounded brill. Perhaps someone should do a poll where we could rate all Brit train stock, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  25. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

AP did the 465 sounds

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It is my hope that the BR 465 has been a clear message to DTG that spending the extra resources to take aboard audio partners like AP can have wonderous impacts. If the 465 is a financial success (relative to standard locomotive DLCs, anyway) and highly praised for its attention to audio quality and detail, then perhaps we will see them pursue this avenue more frequently in the future.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  27. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I don't mean to burst some bubbles here, but even after the successful release of the Class 465, this won't exactly mean that every train from this point forward will have the same sort of high quality sounds. I'm sure AP has a phenomenal audio collection, but they don't have recordings for every single train in the world; obviously it isn't practical to go out and get a ton of recordings everytime, but more importantly this means that TSW has and always will have inconsistencies from train to train.
    How good a loco DLC will sound directly correlates to where and how you obtain those audio sources. Some are great, some are not. Some are old, some are new.
    Just take a look and compare the sounds between the 1972 Stock from the Bakerloo Line, or the Class 377 from East Coastway, or the ICE 3 from SKA. These all have wildly different sources, and deliver very different experiences. I'm not talking about driving the trains themselves, but the different pieces of audio. The ICE3 and Class 377 for instance have a nice distinguishable clank when rolling over junctions, where on the 1972 Stock it's barely audible from the cab. Or how about its motor sounds? The 1972 Stock (presumably) gets its sounds from an old generic motor sound that derives from the old Kuju days, and therefore has this noticeable difference in quality compared to other locos (it has a sort of older, fuzzier quality to it, if that makes any sense? :)). For the most part, I'm willing to bet that these trains were all developed by different people with different source recordings.

I don't mean for this to excuse DLCs with bad audio quality, but I do hope this paints a better picture of how tricky it is to nail this aspect. Theres a lot of variables involved, and inevitably they're not going to nail it everytime like they did with the Class 465. This could be a one-off thing for now, however going forward I do hope that DTG hears the feedback and sees that we in the community care about audio just as much as everything else. After all, the way the Class 465 sounds is a large reason as to why everyone's recommending it!

• Like Like x 4
  28. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

Thank God those of us on PC have the mods done by ItsYa165 to give some improvement to the 375/377/395.

The 465 does sound downright amazing. I've seen the sound pack videos from AP for their Electrostar pack - I'd love to have that here!

• Like Like x 3
  29. MetrolinkF125#916

This is true, but hopefully whenever they can, especially when making British routes/locos, DTG can use AP sounds in their dlc.:)

• Like Like x 1
  30. tallboy7648

I was looking forward to the 395 as well and they didn't do a great job unfortunately

• Like Like x 1
  31. tallboy7648

It could be feasible but I would assume AP doesn't have all the sounds of every train and it isn't exactly easy to get recordings because of Covid so I do wish AP could get involved more but there will still be inconsistencies since they would not have every audio file for every train. It does baffle my mind though that DTG can do a great job on German Locos and American freight Loco sounds, (barring the Horn) yet DTG (a British Company) does a god awful job at making sounds for modern British trains. You would think they could get sounds for British trains at a good quality but they never seem to be able to. Third Parties do better than dtg in this department

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  32. tallboy7648

Maybe they should've used the AP sounds for the 395. They just made the sounds of the 395 more unrealistic

• Like Like x 1
  33. MetrolinkF125#916

True, the 395 really needs a sound overhaul, but I doubt DTG would do this.

• Like Like x 1
  34. tallboy7648

Unfortunately I agree

• Like Like x 1
  35. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Exactly what is different between the sounds of the 375s and 377s in real life? Having travelled on them for years, I haven't heard any differences.
    AP haven't made any sounds for the 395.

• Like Like x 2
  36. DEXCON

DEXCON Member

Yea I would actually pay AP 6 euro's to make sounds for the 395. Saw a post of someone saying they sould have a conctract with AP. That would be fantastic.

• Like Like x 3