Xbox Class 47 Brakes Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lightspeed, Nov 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

I was doing a run with a Class 47 from Leeds to Manchester on an express service on NTP, which came out this week as preserved collection. While I was driving along, I noticed that the brakes would come on ever so slightly (about 3.4 on the brake gauge.) so I had to keep releasing the brakes every now and then on the journey to Manchester. Needless to say, it got a bit annoying and little immersion breaking.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm experiencing the same problem on PC. Every few seconds I hear air flowing and I slowly see the pressure on brake cilinders increasing, even while the brake lever remains in its 0% position (on HUD). Pressing the key to release brake pressure for a fraction of a second releases brake pressure again, until the problem occurs again within a few seconds.

3. hoagy

hoagy Member

In experience the same.

I'm on the latest update as of today, on a PC. Windows 10, AMD 3700X, RX5700XT, with a non-branded controller.

(I also experience the other issue, of an initial application going right up to 40PSI)

4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I have found that the brakes on the 47 work just fine......unless you inadvertently go into the release position. Once you have used release, the brakes start doing weird things, creeping on, applying harder than expected, generally being a pain in the proverbial. I seem to remember that if release is used, the brakes shouldn't be applied again for a couple of minutes to let things settle down but even without making an application, they seem to leak on after a few seconds. I'm not qualified to say if this is realistic or a bug but it's a nuisance.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hoagy

hoagy Member

Surely going straight to 40psi on an initial application isn't right? It goes against what the manual says.

I _think_ this may be specific to using a controller. Gonna try to lean the keyboard equivs, if they exist, and see how that goes. But it def happens on console and on my PC when using a controller.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

It'll only do that if you've gone into release. It's very easy to do without realising it. You only have to hold the controller button down a bit too long. If you keep out of release it works fine.

7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve been extra careful of late to avoid going into release on the brakes whilst driving these old ladies and doing that, they’ve performed so much better. I actually really enjoy driving them now. I hated driving them at first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hoagy

hoagy Member

I guess the key question is: Is that a bug, or is that how the real loco behaves?

I've no idea, personally.

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I actually haven't tried the BR Blue 47 for a while. Not sure this problem still persists.

Shouldn't the BR Blue 47 from NTP behave the same as the BR Green 47 from WSR?

10. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

No they completely different. Like the GWE and ECW Class 66. Brakes and power curves are different.
    The new GWE Class 52 will be different from the WSR version.

11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

But are they different in real life? If both BR Class 47 versions of the game are based upon the same real life loco, they should behave the same, and thus we could conclude there's a bug if the brakes operate differently.

However, if in real life they made chances to the braking system of the Class 47 during it's lifetime, then it could very well be an intended design that both ingame Class 47s behave differently.

12. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

Well the 47 on WSR is using vacuum brakes because of the older coaches. On NTP the 47 is using it's air brakes because of the newer Mk2 stock.

If anything, the air brakes should perform better.