Dutch Route: Amsterdam To Arnhem

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by creeperblox2710, Nov 29, 2020.

1. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

Hi, I'd really like to have a Dutch Route so here's a suggestion: Amsterdam Centraal to Arnhem Centraal via Utrecht Centraal

Information
    The Amsterdam-Arnhem Railway Route is one of many Routes in the Nederlands and goes via Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA, Utrecht Centraal and Ede-Wageningen. There are Services like Sprinter and Intercity and also the German Intercity Express International (ICE International).
    Stations
    Amsterdam Centraal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Amsterdam Centraal is the biggest Station in Amsterdam and in the North of the Netherlands. It is Served by Intercity, Sprinter, ICE and also by the Eurostar. This is where the Amsterdam-Arnhem Route starts. Everyday almost 192,000 Passengers go to the Station, making it the 2nd Busiest Station in the Netherlands after Utrecht.

Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA opened in 1971 and was originally named Amsterdam Bijlmer. In 2007 the Station got the name we all know, to match its location which was next to the Amsterdam ArenA (Now known as the Johan Cruyff Arena). It got 2 major Rebuilds one of them in July 2007 and on the reopening on the 14th November 2007. The Station is served by Sprinter, Intercity and the Amsterdam Metro, which are provided by the GVB.

Breukelen
    [​IMG]

Breukelen is one of the Stations that are only served by Sprinter Services, it is also the Northern End of the Harmelen-Breukelen Railway. In 2002 a newer Station of Breukelen got opened (shown on the picture). It is nearer the A2 Motorway and also further away from the Town.

Utrecht Centraal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Utrecht Centraal is the most important Station in the Netherlands, since its in the Central of the Country, it is also the most used Station in the country. The Station is served by Intercity, Sprinter and the ICE International. Between 2011 and 2016 the Station underwent a major reconstruction as one of the NSP.
    Ede-Wageningen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ede-Wageningen is a Station located between Utrecht and Arnhem and is served by Intercity, Sprinter and also the Valleilijn. It was opened in 1845 and was named Ede-Rhijnspoor before. There were Plans for Services to go via Wageningen which did not work. There was a Tram Services going to Wageningen but got replaced by a Bus Services which gave the new Name of the Station we all know.

Arnhem Centraal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arnhem Centraal is the 2nd Terminus of this Route and is Served by the ICE International, Intercity, Sprinter and also Abellio Rail NRW, Breng and Arriva. The Station got opened in 1845 and got reopened in 2015 after getting a brand new Upgrade.
    Trains
    Its now time for the Trains that fit for this Route

The SGM
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Class 2100/2900 also known as the SGM is one of the 4 Trains that are part of the Sprinter Services.
    There are 3 Generations of the SGM, with the SGMm being the newest and current Generation of these Trains.
    The SGMm operates on the Uitgeest – Rotterdam service between Amsterdam Centraal and Breukelen and on the Ede-Wageningen – Arnhem service between Ede-Wageningen and Arnhem.
    The SLT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Sprinter Light Train also known as the SLT is a Train that is designed to replace the Mat '64 and the DD-AR Trains. The Design is based off the DB BR 425 (which is in the HRR DLC). From 2018 onwards, the SLT's got a Modernisation including Toilets in all of the SLT's and special Sliding Steps for Wheelchair Users. This is planned to be completeted in 2021.
    The SLT operates on the Uitgeest – Rotterdam service between Amsterdam Centraal and Breukelen.
    The VIRM
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Verlengd InterRegio Materieel also known as the VIRM is a Double-deck elctric multiple unit (EMU).
    The VIRM has 5 Diffrent Generations, 3 of these are currently in Service. In 2015 the VIRM-1 are currently being refurbished and fitted with new interiors, being similar to the DDZ.
    The VIRM operates on Alkmaar – Heerlen service between Amsterdam Centraal and Utrecht Centraal, Den Helder – Nijmegen service between Amsterdam Centraal and Arnhem, Schiphol Airport – Eindhoven service between Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA and Utrecht Centraal and on the Schiphol Airport – Nijmegen service between Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA and Arnhem.
    The ICE 3M
    [​IMG]

Now the ICE 3M is already in TSW 2 for the SKA but hey its worth being on this Route. The DB BR 406 is one of the 3 ICE 3 Models that exist. The M stands for multisystem, meaning that it has more features than the ICE 3 and the New ICE 3.
    The ICE 3M is used for the Amsterdam – Frankfurt service on the whole line.
    It would also be great to have the ICE Europe Livery or the NS ICE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's it. You can comment to the post if you have ideas for trains or small extensions for this route.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 49
  2. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I’m up for this! Is there any freight that runs on the route?

• Like Like x 4
  3. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I'm up for this route hopefully it's something that will happen in the future. Variety of stock is always nice and another country to add also. How long is this route? Also with a possibility of ChrisTrains jumping on board with TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm only familiar with the Amsterdam-Utrecht section, but I'd vote against this particular section. It's a boring 4-track straight railway through a landscape that, IMO, isn't too interesting. I'm not familiar with the Utrecht-Arnhem section.

I'd be very interested in a Dutch route, but I hope it'll be an interesting section of railway, not only to Dutch people, but also to people living in other countries.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

Yes yes yes!!! The only thing I would add is the small branch to Rhenen, where some of the stopping services end. Their are only a few freight services between Utrecht and Arnhem, but this line is mainly focused on passenger trains. I don't think the landscape will get boring, you will see farmland, a lot of villages, forests, a highway alongside the track for a few km and a lot of traffic:

Intercities: (I would recommend the VIRM-M)
    - Arnhem - Amsterdam: every 30 minutes
    - Arnhem - Bijlmer Arena (in Amsterdam): every 30 minutes
    - Utrecht - Amsterdam: every 10 minutes (including the first service)
    - Utrecht - Bijlmer Arena: every 15 minutes (including the second service)

Stopping services: (I would recommend the SLT)
    - Amsterdam - Breukelen (halfway to Utrecht): every 10 to 20 minutes
    - Amsterdam - Rhenen (between Utrecht and Arnhem): every 30 minutes
    - Breukelen - Rhenen: every 15 minutes
    - Ede-Wageningen - Arnhem every 30 minutes

ICE service:
    - Amsterdam - Arnhem: every 2 hours

Then there are 3 main "parking lots" for trains at Amsterdam, Utrecht and Arnhem.

The length of the route is around 100 km (including the branch to Rhenen). Most services take 30 - 60 minutes to complete.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  6. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

If I need to, I will play more than €30 for it. DTG JUST GIMME!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

Same for me if the branch and the said services are included!

8. Rail Runner

Well, you have definitely sold it to me now! I’m 100% in! Especially considering there is some freight as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

Well don't expect too much freight tho, only like max 4 times a day, but it's something he

10. Rail Runner

Oh yes. I don’t expect too much, but you are right; it’s something to have a play with!
    I’m looking forward to driving the intercity and regional services.

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Member

Yeah me too, if they implement all the services already 8 different services to try out, it would be so cool

• Like Like x 1
  12. mc_pater

mc_pater New Member

And I assume making the terrain of the route isn't that diffiult as the Netherlands is mostly flat. And with around 22 stations and a busy timetable, i don't think this route will ever get boring.

• Like Like x 1
  13. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Its my home country, so its never getting bored ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. mc_pater

mc_pater New Member

The same goes for me! Hell, I would even help with making that route if they need haha

15. TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy Member

Although you are right for the 4-track straight railway, it could be interesting to make. Utrecht-Arnhem is a bit more interesting, however just as Amsterdam-Utrecht it is also pretty straight forward on speeds, the surrounding (bit more foresty) and such. Also I think it would become an too big project for the developers if you do it all together.
    However, like I said Amsterdam-Utrecht could be interesting to make despite of the boring appearance. They could include the yards Watergraafsmeer and/or Zaanstraat for ''bring this train into service'' scenario's. From Amsterdam Centraal until Amsterdam-Holendrecht it is pretty built up with plenty of landmarks, for example Amsterdam Centraal itself, the Rembrandttoren at Amsterdam Amstel and offcourse the Johan Cruijff ArenA. After that you have meadows from Abcoude until Maarssen, after which the city feeling starts again. It has plenty enough stops if you would run the Sprinter service. It also holds dual signalling (ATB and ETCS), although the only train that uses ETCS there is the ICE. Still it would be fun to play with.

If they ever decide to do it, i'd be glad to help them out, I drive the route regulary. I think the only problem would be getting the NS on board for licensing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm still not convinced. I fear it may result in a GWE-alike route. Although I guess people do like GWE, even though in my eyes it's a boring straight 4 track railway through a flat landscape that's best enjoyed at 125mph. Not my type of route, but apparently some people like it.

Personally I think there's more interesting routes in the Netherlands.

• Like Like x 1
  17. derrik_ns

derrik_ns New Member

I'll support anything dutch :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. timselhorst

timselhorst New Member

I fully agree and with the extension to Veenendaal and Rhenen would be great

• Like Like x 2
  19. mc_pater

mc_pater New Member

For anyone who wonder how the route looks, here are some videos covering the whole route:

Stopping service to Rhenen (filmed from Utrecht Centraal):

Intercity service to Arnhem (filmed from Utrecht Centraal):

Intercity service to Amsterdam (filmed from Utrecht Centraal):

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It definitely would be lovely to have, but I am afraid this route will be too long to deliver for Euro 30. There are so many details to cover, I would suggest to start with a Dutch regional railway, then Utrecht-Arnhem might be possible or Amsterdam-Utrecht.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Eh, this is just another flat and straight passenger oriented route. Most Dutch routes are similar with plain landscape so I'd rather see some other European countries first.
    Now if this was also focused around a Dutch port like Rotterdam or Amsterdam, then it would be interesting :D If they shortened it to Utrecht and included the port in Amsterdam it would be great.

22. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

I would like to see the route Amsterdam to Germany, because the ICE3M would fit in perfectly

23. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

May I disagree with the comment on the Dutch landscape. The Dutch landscape is flat mostly but has a far larger variety that the German landscape. We have the North sea shores, the dune landscape, polders, a very wide agriculture area, the river delta which is unique in the world, the sea arms in Zeeland, the Waddenzee,which is is a unique habitat for millions of birds passing by, a number of historically interesting cities and so on. From the point of view of railways it also is an interesting country. Rail traffic is very busy, in the western part at least 6-8 trains in both directions every hour. The Netherlands plays an important role in logistics with Rotterdam, second largest port in the world and the river delta.

• Like Like x 2
  24. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I find the Dutch landscape flat but very pleasant. Nice buildings too and the railway infrastructure looks good. I'd like to see Amsterdam - Schiphol - Den Haag - Rotterdam.

• Like Like x 1
  25. TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy Member

This would be quite easily to realise in an route from Amsterdam to Utrecht for example... They would just have to include the bit from Amsterdam CS to the Westhaven then. Problem solved :)

26. emirr01

emirr01 New Member

Yeahh, dutch train system is very nice they need to add a route

27. lykopotoboy

lykopotoboy Member

This gets my 100% support. I love the idea of seeing the Virm in game, my favorite Dutch train. Also I would buy this because of all the Beautiful stations along the route. Also does Thalys operate along this line? Curious because I do not live in Holland.

28. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

I agree that there should be a Dutch route. There were never any official Dutch routes in TS and it was sorely lacking. It may be a small country but it has one of the most dense and interesting rail networks in the world, with lots of traffic, interesting cities, stations and country life, and importantly for DTG, lots of rail fans. The freeware stuff in TS by ChrisTrains and others is great, but it's not up to TSW2 graphics standards and it is HUGE PAIN to install because of all the assets required. It would be great to see something officially made by DTG. I could be in the minority here, but I don't understand the huge focus on German railways. Ok, there's lots of routes, but it seems like there's a disproportionate amount of focus on Germany when there are many other interesting countries and routes, such as the Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy and maybe even something in Scandinavia

• Like Like x 1
  29. TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy Member

Thalys runs the other way, from Amsterdam CS to Schiphol and then further to Rotterdam, Antwerp, Brussels and Paris. However when there are construction works at the high speed line and Amsterdam - Haarlem, the Thalys will be diverted via Gouda and Breukelen. In that case the train uses the route Amsterdam - Utrecht until or from Breukelen.

• Like Like x 1
  30. lykopotoboy

lykopotoboy Member

I see, thanks for clarifying!

31. Rail Runner

I seem to remember a Sleeper train from Amsterdam to Copenhagen which went Amsterdam, Utrecht, Arnhem and then on into Germany. This stopped about 10 years ago, but I think it would be a nice touch to a great route!

32. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

just wanted to revive this suggestion

33. nick.scholten

nick.scholten New Member

I support this suggestion, I'm thinking of a way it would be more interesting to DTG:
    For sure it would be shortened... so either Utrecht - Arnhem (45 mins?) or Amsterdam - Utrecht (25 minutes express train, much longer with the stopper)

Utrecht - Arnhem:
    - Varied landscape, fields, forests, towns and cities and with some grades.
    - A lot of station variety especially in size ranging from tiny to huge
    - Short branch line to Rhenen which gives more variety, there are hills over there too
    - Some good variety in running stock including the ICE3m

Amsterdam - Utrecht:
    - Could include the GVB metro (only has 4 underground stops going to the same central station) because it runs parallel to the main line, there are two short branches.
    - Utrecht has a small inland port, with rail acces for freight, the Amsterdam port is too huge
    - Variety in speeds
    - Breukelen station with the (short) branch line to Woerden could be used.
    - Variety of scenery, when you get out of Amsterdam cityscape with the track running next to some (modest) skyscrapers, you have the small town of Abcoude with fields, then there is a huge canal and highway next to the train tracks going into Utrecht.
    - ICE3m also continues on this track
    - EDIT: This route has an aquaduct, driving your train under a river...

If they include the metro, I could see the second option becoming extremely popular just because you can play the three levels of commuter travel: Fast - Medium - Slow on the same line and it even has an underground. It is also extremely busy (express trains are on a every 10 minutes schedule at peak times) so delays could happen easily. Imagine trying to drive a freight train through this dense traffic on the route. Could be good testing ground for DTG!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  34. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely excellent idea and if you are wondering if there's a need to freight locomotives then you have a choice of DB BR 189 electric freight locomotive. Diesel locomotive freight NS6400 requires a triple formation if there's a service in timetable mode heavy freight. Speaking of an extension to this that will be Arnhem-Zeenvar-Emmerich-Oberhausen-Duisburg line. The railway Line I mentioned links the Dutch Railways network for tsw 2 with an existing route Haputstrecke Rhein-Ruhr at Duisburg. ATB NG/EG Arnhem Zeenvar 1.5kv DC ETCS 25kv 50hz Zeenvar-Emmerich. Finally Emmerich Station ETCS 25kv 50hz to Germany 15kv 16.7hz Sifa PZB LZB ETCS. Accompanying tutorial video for this should be introduction to Dutch ATB EG/NG. Otherwise players might expect it to work like UK AWS DSD TPWS or Germany PZB Sifa.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  35. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I've gone a bit into detail on ATBeg on my Dutch suggestion. ATB is indeed not like PZB or AWS at all, and more like the in cab signalling on LIRR (because they are actually based on the same system).
    Coincidentally, I've also listed the BR 189 and NS Serie 6400 as possible DLC for that route, altough the 189 would be better fit for a cross border route.

36. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Very good and detailed suggestion.

37. nick.scholten

nick.scholten New Member

The metro lines 54 and 53. 53 has a lot of sharp turns, elevation and grades! As I said the underground is only 4 stops.

38. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Perfect, this would add more variety to tsw