Hello From The South!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Southerner, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Southerner

Southerner New Member

Hi everyone,

New to Train Simulating and figured it would be easier to drive these around more realistically than build an N layout for my collection, though perhaps one day (which I have been saying for over a decade now). I grew up in the southern US in L&N and Southern country, now I enjoy watching the NS black and white stripes when I can make it to the tracks.

Rode my first passenger trains with my wife for our 5th anniversary. We drove to Chicago and took Amtrak's Empire Builder to Seattle, Coast Starlight to LA, Desert wind to a layover in Vegas and met the Zephyr in Salt Lake back to Chicago. My most relaxing vacation of my life. 15years later we took our children on the SW Chief to LA, hit Disney of course, Coast Starlight back to Seattle and due to flooding on the Empire tracks had to fly back to Chicago.

If you ever get a chance, take the train! Amtrak's Coast Starlight is the best experience for me by far! I was super sad to see the Parlour Cars retired but can understand why they did it. First thing I have done is build a CS consist to bring back memories (Thanks Dovetail and repaint authors, and Blacknred81 and NEC Railfan for the early help!). Still looking for the late paint parlours and hopefully they will show up.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forums

3. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Welcome to the forums Southerner, what's your favourite American locomotive?

4. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Welcome!

I've built a (simple, temporary) HO layout myself, had a lot of fun for a few hours, ever since it's a constant fight with dust and rust.
    Not to mention my Krokodil being unable to negotiate any switch, and some coaches jumping off any curve once every 3 meters.
    My distant dream is to build a fairly large layout in the basement under plexiglass.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Welcome! I'm partial to Norfolk Southern, I guess in part to a local model railway shop (closed for many years now sadly) having a bunch of secondhand NS diesels and stock in HO gauge the first time I visited them! One day I may yet build an appropriate layout - we have a small 8x4 British layout on the go and of course some of the HO stuff won't negotiate the tighter radii on the inner loop..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Southerner

Southerner New Member

Hi Jamie, I have a few listed below from my railroad fandom, though with Train Simulator I am sure I will have differing optioning when driving them:

Passenger: Amtrak P40 fading stripes that started the move into the current P42 in the states remains my fav
    Freight Modern Day: GE ES44ACs (kind of partial to NS 8099, hehe)
    Freight Earlier: EMD GP38-2s that ran daily on tracks near my home.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021