Harzquerbahn (nordhausen - Wernigerode)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jo_Kim, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wikipedia Article
    Since DTG is developing support for steam locomotives into TSW2 I suggest a (mostly) steam route. This is the Harzquerbahn, the longest of three lines of the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen (HSB). The HSB operates the biggest meter-gauge network in Germany and the biggest steam network in Europe. The Harzquerbahn traverses the Harz, the most northern mountain region in Germany. Except for commuter and low-use services, the whole network operates with steam engines. Note that this is not a historical / heritage railway. This is an active railway with modern infrastructure but old rolling stock.

Quick Facts:
    Length: 60,5km
    Max. Speed: 40km/h
    Max. Gradient: 33‰
    Track Gauge: 1000mm

Route:
    The line starts in the city of Nordhausen in the state of Thüringen. From there it heads north towards Ilfeld, where the Harz begins. The line then starts to climb up for 350m, crosses the state border to Sachsen, and continues to Drei Annen Hohne, where it meets the Brockenbahn. Leaving the station the line enters a steep descent with tight curves until it reaches Wernigerode. Most services do not run the full length of the route. Due to the low traveling speed, a journey along the whole route takes around 3h.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stations:

Distance | Station (Hp = Haltepunkt) | Elevation
    00,0km Nordhausen Nord 184m
    01,5km Nordhausen Hesseröder Straße Hp
    02,2km Nordhausen Altentor Hp 189m
    03,0km Nordhausen Ricarda-Huch-Straße Hp
    03,8km Nordhausen Schurzfell Hp
    04,5km Nordhausen-Krimderode 198m
    06,0km Niedersachswerfen Herkulesmarkt Hp
    07,0km Niedersachswerfen Ost 213m
    08,0km Niedersachswerfen Ilfelder Straße Hp
    09,9km Ilfeld Schreiberwiese Hp
    10,7km Ilfeld 254m
    11,5km Ilfeld Neanderklinik Hp 267m
    12,6km Ilfeld Bad Hp 287m
    14,0km Netzkater Hp 309m
    17,3km Eisfelder Talmühle 352m
    19,5km Tiefenbachmühle Hp 411m
    21,5km Sophienhof Hp 445m
    29,8km Benneckenstein 530m
    33,4km Sorge Hp 490m
    41,6km Elend 509m
    46,4km Drei Annen Hohne 543m
    54,6km Steinerne Renne 311m
    56,2km Wernigerode-Hasserode 280m
    58,0km Wernigerode-Hochschule Harz Hp 256m
    59,5km Wernigerode-Westerntor 238m
    60,5km Wernigerode 234m

Rolling Stock:
    99 222
    Built: 1931
    UIC class: 1'E1' h2t
    Locomotive type: K 57.10
    [​IMG]

BR 99.23-24
    Built: 1954-56
    UIC class: 1'E1' h2t
    Locomotive type: K 57.10
    [​IMG]

99 5901-5902
    Built: 1897
    UIC Class: B'B n4vt
    Locomotive type: K 44.9
    [​IMG]

99 6101-6102
    Built: 1914
    UIC Class: C h2t (6101) / C n2t (6102)
    Locomotive type: K 33.11
    [​IMG]

187 016-019
    Built: 1999
    UIC Class: B'2'-dh
    [​IMG]

187 201–203
    Built: 2004
    UIC Class: Bo'Bo'-de-g4gf
    [​IMG]

Optional Extras:
    Brockenbahn:
    [​IMG]

Wikipedia Article
    The Brockenbahn starts at Drei Annen Hohne, travels through Schierke, and climbs to the summit of the Brocken. The line uses the same rolling stock as the Harzquerbahn (only steam). A 19km long extra to a 60km long route is pretty large but seen with the last DLCs (LGV & SEHS) the route length seems to be increasing. The line also has only 3 stations with mostly nature alongside it. It would also increase the number of services and the variety on the route.

Quick Facts:
    Length: 19km
    Max. Speed: 40km/h
    Max. Gradient: 33‰
    Track Gauge: 1000mm

Route:
    The line starts at Drei Annen Hohne and travels east towards Schierke, the only stop on the line. The line now travels through the forest and starts to climb the mountain. Near the summit, the line wraps around the mountain, passes the tree line, and finishes next to the broadcasting station on the summit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stations:
    Distance | Station | Elevation
    00,00km Drei Annen Hohne 543m
    05,36km Schierke 687m
    18,96km Brocken 1125m

At last, here is a video showing the route from Wernigerode to Schierke:

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 23
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Oh this looks pretty nice. Would be interested in this. There's just something about German steam locomotives that make them look considerably better than the US and UK steam locomotives.

TSW could use some German traction that isn't modern. :P

• Like Like x 2
  3. 99 7231-6

99 7231-6 New Member

That would be an absolute dream for TSW2! It is in reality a very interesting line - and if steam is coming to TSW2, why doesn't DTG start, when German steams will hopefully come with one of the most famous German steam locomotive lines? After all, steam locomotives run there every day according to schedule! Well, not because of the lockdown at the moment - but it would be great for TSW!

• Like Like x 1
  4. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I would also love to have this line modelled! I love German steam!

5. 2martens

2martens Well-Known Member

Actually, there is some limited service on the line even now. In the south, you have the local transport from Nordhausen traveling up to Ilfeld Neanderklinik as well as HSB engines and in the north you have services from Wernigerode to Schierke. But you are right, no steam engines are operating currently.

6. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Fantastic suggestion! It's probably germanys most beautiful steam railway.

I wanted to suggest it myself but wouldn't have got it so beautiful using my smartphone :)

I would have suggested the Brockenbahn starting at Wernigerode. The Brocken bound trains usually start here anyway, there is a depot with coal loading facilities and a public monitoring platform where you can watch the steam engines put into / off service :)

Layers are not needed since there are mainly DMUs departing in Wernigerode.

The length would be enough as well as the line speed is usually between 20 and 35 km/h - like the Arosa line the few km wouldn't matter much. And there is a fantastic view from the Brocken!

Even TSWs weakness in distant mountains should not make much impact since many of the trees there IRL are weak and bald...

7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The Brockenbahn part should not be optional, it NEEDS to be there. Without it, it's like suggesting a currywurst without any seasoning. It is the most significant and busy part of the route. I have made this suggestion a couple of months ago and I definitely think the combination fo both Brockenbahn and Harzquerbahn creating a network-like map with both long and short services is the way to go.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...must-have-for-german-steam.34143/#post-237108

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Well, I've looked at the three lines of the HSB and decided that the Harzquerbahn would be the most ideal as a single DLC. The Brockenbahn itself is not that exciting, it has a great landscape but with just three stations and no swap in the slope of the track, it's not that fun to drive.
    If DTG (or whoever wants to develop this) are deciding that they can afford 19km extra that's great but I wouldn't be mad if they would skip the Brockenbahn or release it as an extension.

9. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

This would be great as well to have this complete route of the HSB at TSW2 When it goes about steam then the engines must be achievable on al subjects.
    Any lever, nipple, gauge, knob, button, valve, etc. must be operational even underneath the steam locomotives. Everything must work properly and accordingly and not only the default and basic controls.

I had already mentioned many issues that must work accordingly in an other forum topic. I am eagering to have a steam locomotive that works as in real life nothing must be cast out become static etc etc how so ever.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The best would be Harzquer+Brocken, but if only one was possible, than it has to be Wernigerode-Brocken

• Like Like x 1
  11. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

The best is the triangle Wernigerrode - Gernrode - Nordhausen and the junction to the Brocken. This is the complete HSB route

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

HSB is a great suggestion and it's not far away from my home town. For this narrow gauge railway route even Rivet Games could modify the BR 204, because there are still 3 operational locos as BR 199 in duty.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rcdevisser

rcdevisser Active Member

Though it looks weird. I have seen them as well in the past and the 6 axle engine as it is for the HSB is quite larger than the rolling stock.

I never forget the view I saw at Alexisbad Station after we arrived with a 4 day steam special from Rotterdam somewhere in 1997.
    Once I was settled in my hotelroom quite close to the station. I looked out of the window and I saw a Sachs. IV K with a regular Local Train with a consist of the IV K, a parcel car, and two passenger cars waiting for the time to pop-off.
    Just a regular Local Traun hauled by an 100 years old IV K as it was like a common day in regular service. I went to the station without others. No one else from the group came with me. I was all alone, all by myself.. After I arrived at the platform. The fireman was smoking some sigaret. The driver was a conversation with the station officer. One or two passengers where in that train and the Train chief was walking slowly down the platform. The IV K was simmering for the time being. Steam leaked out of the injector and air pump. You could hear the blower and the generator. This is steam atmosphere in its origin. I was walking and investigating the engine looking at the articulated driving wheels as this was common for the IV K. On that moment I was personally active as co-worker of SSN overhauling German originated steam locomotives. which has ran the Emsland route till the end of steam. And now I saw this happening just in fornt of my eyes.

Not any photographer, no train hunter, no hobbyist or other spectators anywhere near that train to pick up some view in the late afternoon. That was the uppermost and best moments I ever had encounter tasting the regular former DDR atmosphere and environment. Never, ever I will forget this sight. It is engraved in my heart and mind and stands before kings.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  14. 99 7231-6

99 7231-6 New Member

Yes, it's true, there are only three currently operational ones. However, you can't just rebuild the 204, it starts with the model, continues with the cab (the 199.8 has a modern cab and spark control) and ends with the engine sound. 199.8 has 12KvD A4 ;)

I would be very happy to see the HSB in TSW2.
    A DLC possibility would be the 187 016 - 187 019, would great too, indeed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...of course I can immediality hear the sound of an original KVD engine. Rivet's BR 204 sounds like CAT. I agree, it's not just about swapping the bogies from standard gauge to narrow gauge.

If enough people want this route, it could be built in the future. The introduction of the first narrow-gauge railway for Switzerland paves the way for more variety in Train Sim World, also in terms of gauge. Steam should also be possible in the future!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Martin1959

Martin1959 New Member

ik wil heel graag deze route voor stoom en diesel loks .
    Ook graag in TS2021 uitvoering en train sim world.