-fastload Crashes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Mar 7, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen an increase in cases of TS freezing since adding the fastload command line?

I seem to have had a fair few crashes, but always in the TS menu screens, though, never on the routes.

The computer freezes and I have to force a reboot: but even doing that saves time!

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

No.. nothing here, except faster loading times. After reading your other thread about free space... I'm tempted to think having an almost full hard drive has more to do with your recent issues.

3. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

No problems so far for me.

4. inversnecky

This is on the PC - plenty of free space on that, I hadn’t installed the fastload option on my laptop yet, and even with minimal free space, it wasn’t crashing as much.

5. Pookeyhead

Then I've no idea. The only thing that happens here sometimes, is when exiting the scenario editor the menu is sometimes slow to respond, but I'm only talking about a second or two... and it has always done it... nothing to do with fastload. I think it's more to do with the sheer amount of DLC I have.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If a Scenario crashes when loading with :fastload then delete the line from the startup and try it again
    It could be the scenario

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I've found that if TS is running windowed rather than full screen (a borderless window can fill the screen and looks no different) it is less likely to screw everything else up if it does crash- you can Ctrl-Tab back to the desktop or just Ctrl-Shift-Esc for the Task Manager and kill TS from there. Then again I haven't experienced enough crashes to claim any great authority about this- and none since adding -fastload to answer your question.

8. Pookeyhead

You can in full screen mode if something freezes.

9. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Not having any issues so far things are better in terms of load times.

10. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Not invariably even in my limited experience. I haven't had to force a reboot but have been obliged to Ctrl-Alt-Del and log out of the user account.

11. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

Fastload does seem to make my setup freeze on menu screens. Removed it and all well. It did not make a discernable difference anyway.

Apologies. I have just has another freeze up without the fastload command. These freezes are new though.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  12. inversnecky

When TS freezes on fullscreen, even if I Ctrl Alt Del, and bring up the task manager, it doesn't work and I have to reboot.
    Peter - it's never frozen in any scenario (the very occasional OOM crash like everyone has, before or after fastload) - only in the TS menu, eg I might be swapping between routes and it freezes.

13. Pookeyhead

I think maybe this is because I have two monitors: I just click on my other screen, then alt-tab. Works every time. I've not had a single monitor set up for almost 15 years, so I've no idea how TS behaves under those conditions. I suppose though, if I couldn't click the desktop, it would be a pain. I seem to recall there was a slight fps penalty for running in a window though... plus having two monitors, if I use Shadowplay to record a video of TS, it records the entire desktop. It's messy. It's rare TS crashes for me any way. The only way I can regularly goad it into crashing, is leaving scenario editor running ion the back ground for a long time... like going to make dinner and leaving it as a background task.. it really hates that. Other than that it just doesn't really crash much apart from the above, and the occasional "OOM". The OOM thing crashes you back to the desktop any way though normally. Its very rare indeed it just freezes and sits there. Does that happen a lot for you?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  14. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I've had no additional crashes. I've spent a lot of time in the game including the scenario and world editor this weekend and no dramas.

Paul

15. inversnecky

Didn’t have a freeze yesterday, but since adding fastload, about once a day. Happened once when building a custom consist, other times when clicking to select routes or trains in the menus. I know I sometimes don’t always wait for all the thumbnails to load before trying to select something. Maybe that helps precipitate a crash? Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it being an issue before.

But also, I had installed some more DLC, discounted Steam, plus Northern Lines Electric - conceivably the installation just needs time to settle down? And I followed Peter’s advice and stopped with the file integrity checks.

Will see if it’s turned the curve!

16. Pookeyhead

It would work, or it wouldn't. It doesn't require time to "settle".
    Do you have the Major Wales Class 180 patch installed? It is known to break the consist editor.
    They all just instantly appear when the menu loads here... if they are taking time to gradually appear, it sounds like your machine is struggling in one way or another. I get a spinning wheel timer for a split second, then all thumbnails appear at once, instantly.

Yes, file integrity checks every day would not be wise. A solid, tested back up is what you need. I seem to recall you saying you had back up, so I'm wondering why you were still doing regular file integrity checks.

All I know is that adding -fastload has not cause any crashes or strange behaviour at all here.

17. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I've had no issues whatsoever just greatly reduced loading times on all the routes I've tried so far.

18. inversnecky

You’d think that, with a computer. I was just recalling the hassle I had with Northern Lines, when the route wasn’t appearing, and I just left it. Lo and behold it appeared a day or so later, presumably as some cache or other was rebuilt.

Not knowingly!

The selected train and route are there instantly, sometimes the the other thumbnails on the RHS can take half a second to appear. I was clicking on the loco or route instantly before the thumbnails had loaded, leading to the crash.

I didn’t bother, then thought I should follow the advice on the Steam forum following on from the crashing. Know to leave it now.

19. Pookeyhead

Things may take a reboot to take effect if that's what you mean, yes.

You'd know, as the consist editor will just crash the sim... total lock up and eventually error code every time. He even warns about it on his website.

20. inversnecky

It had been rebooted several times before it sorted though. Guess we’ll never know.