PlayStation Arosa Linie Or Clinchfield Railroad

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HeuF, Mar 7, 2021.

?
  1. AROSA LINIE

43.8%
  2. CLINCHFIELD RAILROAD

21.3%
  3. Both...

30.6%
  4. Neither...

4.4%
  1. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

Both have my interest, how about you?

2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Neither for me

• Like Like x 6
  3. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Arosa for me.

I'm not a big fan of heavy freight only, so Clinchfield isn't the DLC for myself.

Arosa looks like it will be a stunning route visually, and from the gameplay of the TS version I'd definitely like to get this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

Sorry TinTin. Add a choice at the poll.

5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Also apologies if my answer seemed blunt. Wasn’t my intention.

I will say that, as I always do, I will fully make up my mind once I have seen the preview streams. I might be pleasantly surprised

• Like Like x 6
  6. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

No apologies needed. I didn't take it negatively. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

It will be both for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Arosa for me. I'm not huge on heavy freight stuff, I prefer passenger. But I'm open minded and will watch the streams and see of it tickles my breeches.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Both for me but refuse to vote

1) you only just did a poll last week

2) I posted in Dutch on another thread to help you out and you missed it ;) off topic thread a level up from here is your friend to find native tongue buddies

• Like Like x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Both for me but the little Swiss train is getting me more excited than the big old American one. Clinchfield might not be an immediate purchase, it may depend on release timings, but I certainly like the look of both. Both of them are something a little different than anything we’ve had before. Because of that they are easier to get excited about than the newly added Glasgow route on the roadmap.

It’s because of these great things coming our way that I haven’t spent any money getting the 465 for SEHS, even though that looked spot on. I’m not made of money. At least some things will have to wait for sales. Not the Arosa Linie though, that’s a day one for sure.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

If I could afford one of the routes I’d definitely say arosa .

• Like Like x 1
  12. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I voted for both because I like them both.
    BUT we have to see if they come out polished and bug free, especially for console which is where I'm going to play it.
    If I see that they are not released in optimal conditions, I won't buy any of them until they are fixed. I'm a customer, not a betatester.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

I would buy them if they came one day. Sometime. I'm not getting any younger and at least an ETA would be possible ...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Clinchfield 12pm day of release. I'm tempted by Arosa, but still undecided. I must say the wait for these routes is long. In fact, the pace of TSW2 releases is glacial. I know, I know, pandemic, research restrictions, remote working etc.. I get it. But it doesn't seem to be slowing down TS202X launches. Just sayin'.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Not everyone has the money to buy dlc every few weeks

• Like Like x 3
  16. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

you think so?? in tsw2020 we had one dlc every 3 month i think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

I missed it indeed Tynmar....

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

I am searching..... but.....

19. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

forgiven, just added to the stats now ;)

like most others a rough release date would be nice to put aside funds and look forward to

hint : mr heffs wow 465 thread :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

:( shame on me :(

21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Clinchfield only for me, most likely wont pick up Arosa unless a good sale down the road.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

It's both for me. Clinchfield will be a day one purchase. I'm still undecided whether I'll get Arosa soon after release or whether I'll wait for a sale. If there's enough time between Clinchfield and Arosa (time for the wallet to fill up again), I may get Arosa soon after release, but I'll definitely check the forums to see if Rivet managed another IoW release on console before committing.

• Like Like x 3
  23. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to seeing live streams of both routes for sure, but seen as I prefer passengers and a new country to American freight I would probably go with arosa first but I will probably still pick up clinchfield at some point especially if it appeals in the streams

• Like Like x 1
  24. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

Arosa Line only. I find American freight incredibly slow and boring.

• Like Like x 1
  25. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

...and performances are terrible on consoles (PS4, at least). The framerate with a 52 cars train is unacceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

Is this a common problem that I've somehow lucked out on through the mysteries of technological witch craft?
    My PS4 is an early diesel powered model with a pretty much full memory and contender for antique status by now, but I can't say that I've ever noticed much of an issue with frame rates on US freight routes. I was actually very impressed by how smooth a fully trained up 52 car haul up and down Sand Patch was compared to some of the TSW2020 routes. Next to some of those back int' day releases, it seems slicker than lightly greased, freshly shaved weasel.

• Like Like x 2
  27. ildario77

An fps counter would be helpful in this case, because I undestood that smoothness is definitely a subjective thing. Fortunately, Sand Patch doesn't show big hiccups or freezing issues, but the average fps with long trains is really bad compared to other routes.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ber#3067

ber#3067 Member

29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

On SPG it’s a fairly consistent 15 fps when hauling a long train (on PS4). Even with it being that low it’s not actually that noticeable at the speeds you travel at. I was actually surprised it was so low on the fps counter because I’ve only ever seen bad performance when I’ve put the camera in the exhaust of a loco. If anyone reading thinks that 15 fps is too low under any circumstances then they might be disappointed to learn they see 15 fps or lower a lot more often than they think, in all kinds of animation applications and they all look fine.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Gav

Gav Active Member

I will get Arosa, that is going to be a beautiful line, no doubt about it. But I won't buy it on day 1 because of all the bugs/issues/problems that will we inevitably get. So I will wait a few months and then I will get that track for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  31. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

No option for unsure about both so I didn’t vote.

32. ildario77

Thanks! I don't have an USB keyboard, so no chance for me to see the fps counter, but I suspected it was about 15-20 fps. I know I'm a sort of fps OCD, but anything under 30 fps is definitely annoying for me.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Crosstie

Things can look fine and some games are eminently playable at 15fps because the human brain is a wonderful instrument, particularly when it's asked to interpolate the values of something in motion. Having said that, my brain doesn't do too well at less than about 30fps. Age may be a factor. I would be interested to know how SPG plays on a PS5, if someone cares to comment. For comparison, I believe TV/movies play at a minimum of 24fps.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  34. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Movies are 24 fps to this day.* There have been a couple of experiments with 48 fps, to very mixed reviews.

In fact, before sound movies appeared, standard cinematic film was 16 fps (that's why we have been conditioned to think of old silents as "fast and jerky"- too often, they were cluelessly played back on modern 24 fps projectors).

*Film doesn't do variable framerates!

• Like Like x 1
  35. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I referred to animations in my post, which are generally done with the same image on two consecutive frames, so on film you end up with 12 fps and in TV you get 15 fps. Some low budget animations will use 3 consecutive frames each having the same image, which at point you see the jerkiness quite obviously down at 10 fps. Computer graphics are more closely related to animation than they are to filming real life action as the moving image is similarly made of individually drawn images and therefore smoothness at lower frame-rates, added as motion blur, is something that is either drawn into the frames or after the fact with overlaying frames or other processing. As an aside, when filming real action the amount of this ‘motion blur’ depends on the shutter speed of the camera (as the frame rate is always the same) and is actually captured on the film. That’s why some films have smoother looking action than others, because the shutter speed was better selected for the action. As with animation, in computer graphics, the slower the action you are representing, the fewer individually drawn frames you can get away with, and you can smooth it out really well with good motion blur techniques, which TSW has. Except the wheels, let’s not talk about the wheels.

This is relevant to this thread, as I believe both these routes are relatively low speed routes, so a lower frame-rate will not be as much of an issue as it would be on something like SEHS. This should allow for the scenery to be more detailed and to have better distant scenery. That’s worth sacrificing higher frame rates for, and can be seen with some success on most of Sand Patch Grade.

36. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Both for me :)

• Like Like x 2
  37. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

Arosa Linie looks very interesting to me because it’s in Switzerland and they have a really good heritage when it comes to trains. Clinchfield to me looks boring as is all American freight. Unless it’s local freight runs like on Penisula Corridor.

38. MLP Derick

MLP Derick Well-Known Member

both for me

• Like Like x 2
  39. box215

box215 Active Member

Incredibly slow and boring you say
    So a route with a max speed of 35 km/h isnt slow?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

That translates to about 21MPH, which is actually SLOWER that the Clinchfield Line (Which in TS21 has speeds of at least 30MPH (48KPH)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Crosstie

Well, boring is a matter of opinion and you have a right to yours. But I'll just point out that the slowest it gets on Sand Patch is about 40 km/h compared to a maximum of 35 km/h on Arosalinie.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  42. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Valuing the degree of fun/boredom based on the speed of the line is very relative.
    I guess it's more about personal tastes, what I do is to alternate these experiences, this is something I really like about TSW. For me to be able to go at slow speed as in WSR or SPG and at the end of the route to be able to change and fly at 320 Km/h in the TGV is priceless and makes this game never becomes routine. So I will also enjoy Arosa Linie very much.

• Like Like x 3
  43. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

"Boring" certainly is in the eye of the beholder. For me, riding an ICE under LZB control with the scenery whipping by too fast to be seen (if one could see it over the walls), and nothing to do but punch the Sifa button, isn't exactly thrills and chills.

44. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

How boring something is has more to do with how you interact with what is happening than the nature of what is there. With slower trains you have more opportunity to interact with the action. You can easily place a static camera ahead of the train and watch as it passes. You can look at, absorb, and enjoy the surroundings. You have more opportunity to have a good look at the exterior of the train and the interaction of carriages or wagons with each other and the track. These things are more difficult to achieve with a fast moving train. The scenery passing at high speed can be exhilarating but you don’t get to interact with it. If you play by just sitting in the driver seat and not using any external cameras then a slow route could become boring. Sometimes it can be very relaxing doing just that but there are opportunities to add interest to what you are doing. There will be plenty to experience and absorb with both these routes.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Crosstie

I agree. These two routes are very different and will offer distinct driving experiences, unlike anything we currently have in the game. I was on the fence about Arosalinie, but after seeing the videos and reading the threads, I will definitely be purchasing it next week. I'm also hoping for some good news about Clinchfield on Saturday. I've only made one purchase since before Christmas, so I will have no guilt about splurging for these two DLC.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  46. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

I quite like what I've seen so far of the Arosa line. Looks like it'll be something different. Not a big fan of the American locos. but, knowing me, I will end up buying both.

• Like Like x 1
  47. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

I just want them both. One day i like to drive slow, the other day fast. I made my collection almost complete. I only miss diesel pack and class 31. I ❤ the game....

• Like Like x 1
  48. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

Freight is my love. I'm a US citizen and so seeing freight trains was the most common form of train (I didn't grow up in a big city so no subway trams or the like). I will go clinchfield. Tho arosa looks cool so if I have extra money I would go that route too but yeah I've already set aside money for clinchfield.

• Like Like x 2
  49. ildario77

Gave it a try today, 50 cars + 4 locos, a f* 1 mile long train! Heavy snow. Well, you are right. After a few minutes you don't notice the bad fps anymore, just because it's constant (very noticeable if you pan the camera only). I prefer low but constant fps than freezing or stuttering. Luckily, SPG is stuttering-free.

• Like Like x 2