Marias Pass: Shelby - Whitefish/kalispell, Mt

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NorthRail1, Mar 24, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Marias Pass
    Introduction
    Marias Pass was featured in Train Simulator 2018, though is now restricted to US customers only. In my opinion it was one of the best US freight routes with a variety of scenery varying from the prairies in the east of the route to the mountainous Marias Pass through the Glacier National Park. I propose that this route should be recreated in Train Sim World featuring the full route from Shelby to Whitefish along with the branch to Kalispell.
    Locomotives
    Amtrak P42DC
    The_Builder_in_1,000_places_(4693814411).jpg

The Amtrak P42DC has been requested many times for Train Sim World and operates the Empire Builder service along this route. There are many Amtrak stops along this route providing a good passenger experience. The Empire Builder uses 2 P42DC locomotives and a series of Superliner coaches.
    BNSF ES44DC/ES44C4
    BNSF_7402_Greenwood,_NE_10-19-14_2.jpg

The ES44DC is one of the successors to the AC4400CW locomotive featured in CSX Heavy Haul and is used by BNSF to operate long-distance freight services along routes such as Marias Pass. Featured in the TS18 version, it would also be an excellent choice of locomotive for a Train Sim World rendition.
    BNSF GP38-2
    BNSF_2273_Lincoln,_NE_3-13-14.jpg

The GP38-2, featured in CSX Heavy Haul and NEC: New York, could be used as part of a Marias Pass dlc. They are used on switching operations by BNSF in yards such as Shelby and Whitefish as well as branch lines such as the Kalispell branch.
    Conclusion
    Tail_end_of_eastbound_BNSF_grain_train_at_Essex_station,_January_2013.jpg

BNSF Grain train passing Essex station on the Marias Pass route
    The Marias Pass route would bring a variety of scenery and operations to Train Sim World with long-distance passenger services operated by Amtrak as well as long-distance and short-haul freight services. The route would also serve as a base for further BNSF content in the future.
    Empire_Builder_@Two_Medicine_Trestle_(_2_Views_).jpg
    Amtrak's Empire Builder crossing Two Medicine Trestle at East Glacier Park

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

This would be a nice add to TSW but because of the BNSF issue I do not see this happening for now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Yes to the power of infinity! Marias Pass is like the only mountain pass that manages to avoid the "most of the route is 25 mph" problem while not missing out on some epic scenery. And some epic operations as well; you get mainline stuff, Amtrak runs, yard switching, big industry switching (Columbia Falls Aluminium Company), and small branch line switching (Kalispell), all which would make for a jam packed epic services mode day! Heck, Marias even has notable helper operations between Essex and Summit, a factor that would add some more spice to services too.

Now I would actually suggest the ES44C4 as the first heavy hauler instead of the ES44DC, as BNSF now has more of that version of the ES44 than any other, and it basically performs as an ES44DC would anyway (BNSF uses the two interchangeably). I guess the other types of ES44 are similar enough to be free extras, but the C4 is the one that has not ever been done before.

And as a disclaimer, I totally get that this will not even be remotely considered by DTG for a long while. 150 miles with 100 car long freight trains is a far cry from what is being done now with 30 mile routes and 30 car freight trains. Maybe 2 or 3 years from now. Or earlier depending on someone else making the route using editors.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Not going to happen anytime soon due to the BNSF licensing restriction I'm sure.

Besides the licensing issue and while I do think the Train Simulator 2018 rendition of it is good (not my favorite, but not my least favorite either), I don't support this proposal [as-is]. I'm tired of seeing Marias Pass being done as a default route in or as an official first party DLC route in train simulation games. I'm not one of these people who believes that Marias Pass is the "Official Route of Train Simulation Games and Must be in Every One of Them". I say let's get new stuff, routes that have never been or are rarely made in train simulation games are what Dovetail Games should be making for Train Sim World and Train Simulator 2018. Originality is important because if you remake the same thing over and over again, there's no innovation and you miss out on many other great routes that constantly have been overlooked.

Now, if it were legally possible to sell BNSF content internationally and had to support Marias Pass being made for Train Sim World by Dovetail Games, then please have it set in the 1960s with all Great Northern content (included locomotives should be the EMD F45, EMD NW3, EMD F7 and EMD GP9 diesel locomotives) and have it be the full subdivision from Whitefish, MT to Havre, MT (with or without the Kalispell Branch Line). Despite the long length from Whitefish to Shelby, Shelby is not a crew change point for long-distance interstate freights. Crews on passenger trains and local freights will change there though, but not for the long-distance interstate freights in most cases.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  5. NorthRail1

Whilst it would be good to see new content in Train Sim World, older routes such as Marias Pass should be remade for Train Sim World. Whilst I understand that the route being in previous simulators would give the route a lower priority over newer routes, I don't see why it should be ruled out because of it already existing for TS18.

I think Havre is too much to ask for from DTG on any timescale. It would extend the route to 250 miles and Amtrak trains take 5 and a half hours to traverse the entire route making it far too long for reasonable operation in Train Sim World.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

This route will definitely be done, but probably by 3rd once editor tools are released. To add onto NEC_Male, I think that DTG really does need to spend time doing routes never done for any of the Train Simulation games. For some that may not know, over the course of many years, through all of the Train games released, the Long Island Railroad still has yet to see the light of day in a Simulator. I’m not trying to go off topic and ruin this thread, all I’m saying is that the Marias Pass is a very repeated route throughout the decade and hopefully DTG can first spend time on expanding the current DLC’s, and create ones that are rarely ever seen, or never seen in Simulators.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NorthRail1

Agreed, this route shouldn't be high priority for Dovetail Games. As soon as the content creation tools are released, many third party companies will start creating routes, one of which will probably create Marias Pass.

• Like Like x 3
  8. William Madona

William Madona New Member

É uma rota que gosto de simular, mas esta restrição da BNSF complica tudo, não o real motivo de não expandirem a licença de uso da marca no jogo para fora dos EUA, só acho uma atitude equivocada, pois no mundo todo existem fãs dos trens da BNSF, eu moro no Brasil e por aqui ela é muito conhecida por todos.

9. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Marias Pass was originally owned by Great Northern and later Burlington Northern. Also, in Whitefish Yard, there is an old GN EMD switcher (I don't know the type) that could be included as a static model. A GN version of the route could include a "Big Sky Blue" F45, an SD45, and maybe an SW1200 or SW1500 switcher. The GN Empire Builder with F7s could also be included or sold as a separate DLC. For BN, engines could be an SD40-2, F45, SW1200 or SW1500, and maybe a GP38-2, plus an Amtrak F40PH and the Empire Builder in the 1970s and 80s.

For the BNSF version, there needs to be an ES44AC, ES44DC, or ES44C4, an SD40-2, a GP38-2, and an Amtrak Genesis P42DC with the Empire Builder.