PlayStation ...so The Diesel Legends Pack...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by flickyhecky, Mar 5, 2021.

1. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

Probably get shot down in flames here, but how can DTG justify us paying £14.99 for a DLC that most of us already own, I know it gives us a separate timetable, but basically it's just a glorified scenario planner. If the route was made to look like it's from the 1970's then maybe it would be worth it. Sadly I think this just may end up as being a one off experiment. I could be eating my words further down the line.

It may appeal to some people, but not to me.

I still love you guys though!

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Oh thanks for sharing the price. Will help a lot of 50/50 folks decide.

Did I miss an article? Any news on the release date?

3. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

Next Thursday according to Sam on the livestream just now.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Release date is confirmed at next Thursday too.
    Whilst I like the idea of a separate timetable, I already own all the locos within the pack so the cost is just too high (the class 52 was reworked though).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Top man. Wow that’s soon. Guess another update on Tuesday then. Keen to hear if anyone here will be buying right away and why. Guess a lot of folks will already own the locos and rightly skip it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They don’t have to justify it. They did though in the stream. A lot of work has gone into making the pack. Hundreds of services in the timetable and five scenarios. If you already have the trains in other packs, then that’s a little less value for you money but the trains aren’t the only thing that make a pack. There have always been several ways to get certain locos in TSW, they do get reused quite a bit. I already have all three trains in this pack but I don’t have a timetable on GWE for any of them. If I were to buy it, I wouldn’t get as much new stuff as someone who doesn’t have any of them, but I still get what the pack is meant to give me. Gameplay. I also get slightly more because I have all the other trains that sub into the timetable, so for me it is still an extensive pack.

If you think you can make something similar in scenario planner, then go for it. All I can say is good luck with all the shunting moves and loco swapping.

It’s not for everyone. Some of the purists are up in arms about the 101 being the wrong colour, and the 101 not being the exactly correct DMMU. All credit to them, they can miss out for that reason. Some don’t like that the route is set in modern day. All credit to them, they can miss out for that reason. Some think it’s too expensive. They can wait for a sale, good on ‘em. Everyone who buys it can enjoy it without worrying too much about that kind of thing. It’s a good pack and well worth full price if you ask me.

I’m much more likely to be shot down in flames than you for daring to think it’s actually good.

• Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I very much like the concept of extra gameplay packs. But, as I said in the chat stream, this is seriously overpriced. I will be getting it, but later down the line when it's 40 or 50% reduced, which would be a fair price.

My fear is that, if sales at full price are low (and I think they will be), that DTG wil misinterpret this as no interest. I think there is indeed interest, but not at the price they're asking for it.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

LMAO I like the look of it too, guess we’re both d%mned

• Like Like x 1
  9. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Not a DLC for me. If you don't have the locos already, then maybe you'll get some value from it.

However, there are some things that don't make sense to me. The massive issue is that to get the freight services, you need to also own Northern Trans Pennine AND the BR Heavy Freight Pack, meaning you already own some of the locos. So, buying them again means you're paying £15 for the timetable and scenarios.

The 31 also needs you to own Tees Valley AND the 31 DLC.

So, to sum up what you need to fully layer this up:

1) GWE (£24.99) - base route
    2) BR Diesel Legends (£14.99) - this pack
    3) Northern Trans Penine (£24.99) - unlocks below
    4) BR Heavy Freight (£11.49) - adds freight
    5) Tees Valley (£24.99) - unlocks below
    6) BR Class 31 (£11.49) - adds layer

Total: £112.94

Just to enable freight if you own the base game and GWE already, total cost would be £51.47 (Diesel Legends + NTP + Heavy Freight)!

Note: freight isn't coming on day one. It will require an update before it is enabled.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

But that’s not the cost of this pack. Look at all the other content that £112.94 has got you (and that’s only if you buy it all at full price). Some of the German routes have similar lists of required DLC to fully enable all of their service and loco options. For any loco pack you already have to have a route before it. SKA doesn’t have freight unless you have other DLC, neither does SEHS. It’s pretty standard stuff for the freight layers. Nobody has to rush out and buy all of that stuff to enjoy the pack, just GWE if you don’t have it, you don’t need all the other substitutions or the freight services, they are a bonus if you already have the required DLC. If you already have them all it costs £14.99.
    So in the same post you’ve said that you’ll only get value if you don’t have any of the trains already and said that to get value you have to own over a hundred quid’s worth of DLC. So, which is it? It can’t be both.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I believe I heard them mention they are wanting to reconsider how the layers are organised. Either way, they definitely need to rethink something there, for a pack aimed at new players, having to invest so much to get the full package for the Diesel Legends just doesn't work.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I've come around on this. Since i don't have the Class 52, i think it's worth it for me, personally, at that price. Looking forward to some shunting on the GWR as well.

Edit: typo

• Like Like x 3
  13. xblackwolf90

Value is subjective and you may consider yourself to be getting good value from the base pack alone. If you don't own NTP or TVL and just fancy some BR Blue shunting and passenger services on GWE, then £14.99 would seem to offer reasonable value for money for what you're getting.

However, to get freight services, you need to invest more money and one of those packs required will double up on certain locos. Sam also mentioned this in the stream today and Matt highlighted they'd like to be able to offer DLC such as heavy freight without the need to purchase NTP seperately.

Of course, purchasing these unlocks a lot of extra content elsewhere (additional full routes etc.) and adds considerable value in its own right. But if you just want to add freight on this GWE Diesel Legends pack and don't care about an additional route, it's quite expensive to get it. It requires the purchase of a route that includes some of these locos already (NTP) and an additonal DLC for it (BR Heavy Freight). This differs from SKA as an example, as SKA requires only one additional route DLC to enable freight services (MSB). The additional route also includes totally different rolling stock, so no doubling up.

My post is simply to highlight the total value required to be invested to unlock all the features in this pack's timetable, as there seemed to be quite a few queries in the stream about what is required to unlock certain locos, services etc.

A very similar observation has been highlighted here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/diesel-legends-identity-crisis-of-marketing.36595/

I hope this makes sense and clarifies my point of view on the subject, even if you happen to disagree entirely :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Instead of buying GWE and NTP, I would save £25 by buying TSW2020. Then get the free GWE and NTP routes in TSW2.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. xblackwolf90

Definitely the way to go for those who are aware this option exists (plus RT, LIRR, MSB etc.) :)

For someone new to the game who doesn't use the forums and just takes a look at the in-game store however, it isn't obvious this option exists.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In which case it would cost as much as a route DLC, because that's what it would be: a whole new route.

• Like Like x 2
  17. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

There's one simple question you have to ask YOURSELVES.

Do I get it it Yes or No?

Thats it simple. Why somepeople have to sit and phsyco analyse as to why they or we should buy something or not its ridiculous.
    Do you want it yes or no?
    Yes..... buy it.
    No...... dont buy it and get on with your lives.

That's it, its simple.

Hentis

• Like Like x 16
  18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s direct and useful advice. The best advice you will read today!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

This pack is a no for me as I stated in another thread. No changes to the overhead line, scenery, and incorrect loco(s). This is just a gameplay pack like they said. I don't want to buy this pack and pretend that I am in the 70's era on a modern route. I want the pack to look like it's the 70's like how NTP and TVL are set in the 80's. I will not continue this conversation and just move on and look ahead at future DLCs. If you're going to buy this pack, then that's great and I hope you have fun but I'll pass.

• Like Like x 2
  20. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

It might be a "wait for the sale" one for me. Am I the only one who, when they saw it on the roadmap, thought it meant a blue/grey HST would be included? Now THAT I would bite your hand off for.

• Like Like x 4
  21. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Sale for me too. Already have the items elsewhere.

I just want to know will Hentis be buying it :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. antony.henley

Err Hell Yeah!

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  23. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

hehehe just saw the “Gwe rip 2019-2021” on the stream chat :D

• Like Like x 1
  24. antony.henley

heh Not just Rip it still works.... lol :)

[​IMG]

25. Gav

Gav Active Member

I won't be buying it, I can't justify paying £15 for this when I have all these locos already and obviously the GWE route too. Very unfair to charge £15 for this.

• Like Like x 2
  26. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I agree. As a total and pretty clueless and very new to TSW newbie ( I’m being honest ) I’m finding all these add ons a bit confusing tbh. Trying to work out what’s is good value or not because of replication with regards to something I might already have in other maps / packs etc is hard work along with trying to learn the actual game of course. It doesn’t help that I’m unfamiliar with all the different types of locos names / numbers. I like trains but I’m not an expert on them by any means. I will become more clued up as time goes by but for newbies with only a passing interest in trains it ain’t easy.

Just as well you guys are here to keep me right.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Gav

Gav Active Member

Yeah I totally agree brother, I can see why its very confusing for newer players who just started playing the game. There are so many maps and trains as DLC, it can be over whelming too many people.

I'd personally stay away from Diesel Legends if I were you, why? because all these trains are already in the game, and so is the route Paddington too Reading. If you are looking to get extras I suggest the Class 33, which you can run on West Sommerset Railway, I love this train and its such a pretty line

• Like Like x 3
  28. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

DTG: It ain't much
    HeuF: I heard him say.... I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now!!

• Like Like x 1
  29. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

Just wait a little while for price come down.

• Like Like x 1
  30. shhweeet#4292

That’s kinda what I was thinking, you’ve just confirmed it for me.

Is the Trans Pennine Heavy Freight add on worth getting? I already have Trans Pennine and GWR and one I hope to get in the future if it drops in price via a sale is the Tees Valley Line as well as the Class 33 loco you have just recommended. In the meantime I’m going to get IOW now it’s in the the sale for no other reason than it seems like a good map to have for a newbie like me to practice on. Similar to the London Tube which I enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  31. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is worth it. Unlike the Diesel Legends pack, the BR Heavy Freight pack actually includes a new loco (Class 40) and several new wagons. It also adds freight and shunting services to the route which are not present without the pack. Also includes the class 08 shunter.

• Like Like x 3
  32. solicitr

Also, the timetable services up to around 8 am are actually two integrated little story arcs, involving both shunters and Class 40s (or 47s) working the same rakes of wagons. A nice touch- especially since, while working through one, you can watch the other one taking place simultaneously.

• Like Like x 3
  33. shhweeet#4292

Trans Pennine Heavy Freight added to my bucket list then with regards to what I want to get.

Thanks for the response / advice.

• Like Like x 3
  34. antony.henley

"I'd personally stay away from Diesel Legends if I were you, why? because all these trains are already in the game, and so is the route Paddington too Reading."

So I have seen several posts referring wrongly to the locomotives / rolling stock and route already being in the game.
    So to set this straight. this is what you get with the Legends Pack
    You Get the following:-

Class 08 blu, (if you have NTP or Tees Valley you can choose to use any of those tow other shunters as well and they will sub in).

Class 101 (WR numbers and destination blinds)

Class 52 (All 73 of them in BR Blue and NAMED). Vacuum & Air Braked

MK2 Stock and Mk1 Stock

All working with Livery Designer, Where WSR 52 , Tees Valley 101, 08 and NTP 08, 101 are not

Full working SEPERATE working timetable, separate timetable to that of 2015 Timetable, with 259 services, Training Modules x 3, Scenarios x 5 This timetable runs from 0000 - 2357

If you own Northern Trans Pennine You will be able to use the Class 47*, and the Class 45* from that pack as well as when it is released the Big Freight pack (as long as you own that), when its released.

If you own Tees Valley, then you can also use the class 31*

Services*
    08 = 13
    31 = 50
    101 = 85**
    101 = 32**
    52 = 79***
    47 = 79***
    45 = 79***

* The 31 will only use the 50 services.
    ** The 101 I belive comes in 3 car and 6 car formations (hence the two different services).
    *** The 52, 47 and 45 will sub in on the same services as each other (as long as have the NTP Route).

What you Dont get WSR Class 52, Tees Valley Class 101, and Tees valley or NTP 08 (but if you have either of these 08's they sub in) Great Western Express Route.

This is a gameplay pack. To be honest I think it is worth the £14.99 I have paid for it.

EDIT:-
    One other thing I would like to add. The fact about the gameplay on the route, and it adds an era of when there were loco hauled services on the route that were often shunted out back to Old Oak by other locos or an 08. Its just a throw back to quite often seeing a 47 or 50 running back from Paddington to Old Oak light engine or vice versa to be honest. Its great to be able to go light engine to or from Paddington. Now we could really do with a class 50.....

Although the route is Modern day based (well 2015 / 2016) Personally to me that's the only disappointment. But obviously doing a new version of the route based in the 1970's would have out the release of the project back by a few months.

Hentis

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  35. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

Is there a mail train in the, route as well?

• Like Like x 2
  36. antony.henley

Sorry No.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  37. antony.henley

A WIP shot. So having fun at the mo 20210314_170951.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  38. antony.henley

Now Finished.Not 100% correct but its near enough. Not sure if these turn up randomly in GWE 1970's in the coach consists.

s[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hentis

• Like Like x 12
  39. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

Great work there, Tiz a shame that these can't be shared

• Like Like x 2
  40. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  41. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

That's really decent.... I'd embark on this project myself if only there were a 47 available in livery editor....

As a side note, I wonder why haven't we seen a mk1 buffet yet? They ran on absolutely everything apart from hst's for decades....

• Like Like x 2
  42. antony.henley

Thanks Guys / Gals,

When I do the next set of coaches / locos I have to remember the HSV Numbers :)

"That's really decent.... I'd embark on this project myself if only there were a 47 available in livery editor...."

Well when the Northern Rans Pennine locos are made Livery Creator compatible we will hopefully have a Class 47 (but no front Headlight), that will have plenty of liveries shoved on it.

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  43. solicitr

I think H 194 S 94 V 43 (or a little darker, say 37) gets really, really close to BR Blue.

• Like Like x 1
  44. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Digging the Baby Yoda there :)

• Like Like x 2
  45. antony.henley

Heh cheers. He is the animitronic one. He's also my "second man "in the cab in my livestreams.

Hentis

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2