The Prices Need Lowering

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jharpersherwood, Mar 8, 2021.

1. jharpersherwood

jharpersherwood New Member

i will refer a lot to ts21 but i pay £9.99 for the iow on ts21 for the island line and the steam railway and the tsw2 counter part is double that and alot of people refer to playforms like youtube to afford the prices necaus they lost there job drg please lower them

• Like Like x 2
  2. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

The only reason why I feel the prices are as they are in TSW2 is because there is most likely a much more significant amount of work that has gone into a route.

• Like Like x 3
  3. mrquicko

mrquicko Member

the reason iow for ts21 is only £9.99 is because its now really old. £25 for a route has been the standard price for routes on both tsw2 and ts21. when routes depreciate and get old over time that when the prices drop

• Like Like x 4
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

People pay £50 for bundles of stuff on mobile games. Don't see the problem here

• Like Like x 7
  5. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

If you want to know how much work is going into one route, take a look at the dev videos from Rivet Games.
    TSW 2 | Arosa Line Devblogs & Previews
    It might seem a bit unfair that you have to pay the same price regardless of how much track and rolling stock you get. But with frequent sales, you can get most DLCs for an even better price.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the product. Some products are worth $30 and some may not be

• Like Like x 1
  7. tallboy7648

The problem I have with these "wait for a sale" statements is that sales are not frequent on console which is the majority of the playerbase and when there is a sale, only certain products are on sale that you may not be interested in meaning you have to wait longer for a sale which could take months. Some people may be intrested in these products but can't buy them probably because they lost their job and the dlcs are pricy for some and some may not be worth $20-$30. Sehs in my opinion wasn't worth $30 at the way it was released. If dtg dud lower prices that could lead more people to buy that particular product when they otherwise wouldn't because they were either waiting for a sale or because the product was too expensive

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tallboy7648

A lot of mobile games like need for speed no limits are pay to progress/win meaning that you either have to wait a day to continue play or pay to win/continue. You can't really compare that to tsw2.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  9. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Since I am a PC player I don't know how often there are sales on console but from what I've read on this forum and in the stream chat they aren't that less common than on PC. In general, you'll have to wait to get a sale on the latest DLCs. Finding the right price for a DLC is a balancing act between "How many people will buy it for this price?" and "Do we make enough revenue from it to pay our employees and to invest in future projects?".
    The quality of DTG products lacks, especially in the after-release phase. New DLCs get good patches after the release but are quickly left behind for new projects and bugs remain for years.
    But one thing is certain: Lowering the price will not make this situation better. Sure there are many people out there that can't afford these prices, but I don't think a permanent price reduction would increase the buyership enough. DTG should increase their work on fixing existing content and not divert everything which is older than a month to the Preservation Crew. But if they do the price is, in my opinion, completely fair for what you'll get.

• Like Like x 5
  10. tallboy7648

I think if there is a reduction of prices, then sales would go up. Many people already wait for sales because the dlcs are already expensive as is so the price could be what the product would be in a sale

11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Similar thread in the main PC forum.
    DTG prices are by and large pretty fair, compared to what the likes of PMDG charge for their so called up market aircraft in FSX and P3D, with rumours their 737 for MSFS (20) will tip the scales at well in excess of £100.

• Like Like x 3
  12. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me - the FS Labs A320 + Variants comes in at over £250 by the time VAT is added - The A320 alone is £130!

AP are heading in that direction as their recent Loco/EMUs have been £25/£30

13. ARuscoe

My point was that if people are willing to spend £15 on basically nothing, then paying £15 for something you actually use and gain happiness from isn't that much. I worked out the other day that the new GWE pack (cost around £15) works out at less than half a penny per minute of possible play with no repeats (given certain assumptions)
    I don't consider 30p/h a bad return

14. tallboy7648

I guess that comes down to opinion. Some may not feel the way you do. Personally I can afford the dlcs at normal price but I do get why there are some that calling for price reductions

15. ARuscoe

Of course they would, I don't know any product that hasn't at some point been questionned on price
    The point is that commercial value is generally set by what a company can get away with and what their competitors are getting away with, so in this case you're looking at other software devs and how much they sell their stuff for, and on that basis I don't think DTG are too far off the mark either in their base prices (ie non-sale) or when things do go on sale over time

16. tallboy7648

DTG in the console market for tsw has no competiton though which is 2/3s of their playerbase and with not as much frequent sales on console that's what's led some to call for price drops. Some may not have a job to afford a particular dlc because of the pandemic also

17. ARuscoe

Sorry, a software house on a console software sales platform has no competition?
    Maybe not in the sense of a direct competitor in train simulation software packages with associated DLC, but there are certainly software packages that have DLC which sell on those platforms so the price can easily be compared

18. Trainman525

Trainman525 Well-Known Member

As the main train simulator, they can charge what they like and not necessarily loose any of their customers. There will be a price where they do loose customers though, at that point they would stop being able to operate as not enough people are buying. They have always charged £24.99 and £11.99 respectively for New Content. It gets discounted over time.

19. Trainman525

You pay that for 2 reasons,
    1) Because it was released in 2012
    2) Because it isn't really the same quality as some of the other routes created at that time.

Just a comment, on release it was packaged in Train Simulator 2013 (4 routes £24.99)
    It cost £19.99 for it in subsequent years when it wasn't packaged in the base game.

20. ARuscoe

They're not just competing against train sims, but other sims and software generally. It's not like people HAVE to buy TSW when they could be playing just about anything else

21. Trainman525

If you want a train simulator, then you will buy TSW2. There aren't any other train simulators of quite the same abilities. I am not talking about people who play whichever game is on the store for the price.

• Like Like x 2
  22. tallboy7648

Yes but if a console player is intrested in a train simulator but doesn't have a pc, please name another train sim on console? Probably can't since there are zero. Nobody was mentioning other types of video games. Also tsw2 can't compete with star wars or battlefield since they are completely different styles of games

• Like Like x 1
  23. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I already made a thread about this before In off topic

24. ARuscoe

I think your answer doesn't address the commercial world very well.
    Just because there is no direct competitor on one platform doesn't mean all other similar items on all platforms cannot be used as a value comparison, and there ARE games on other platforms, other simulators, and the wider software world which can be used to determine if a sufficient percentage of the software buying market would be willing to pay £x amount for a package

25. tallboy7648

What your saying is just ridiculous at this point. Yes let's compare Train Sim World 2 to Star Wars or Need For Speed. I'm pretty sure dtg would say that they are not trying to make tsw2 compete with star wars or Need For Speed and nobody in this thread was mentioning other types of games on game stores so your statements are irrelevant

26. ARuscoe

What YOU'RE saying is just ridiculous. How many titles are there in game land on any platform that sell by major or minor transactions?
    How much do those packs cost?
    Are they bought by any specific demographic or are they limited?
    Can these be applied to a new release, a sale or over time?
    These are all factors in how much things cost, not just "well nobody else is doing it, so it needs to be cheap"
    I understand you may want to pay less for things you want but a bit of realism as to how the world works is always going to avoid disappointment

27. tallboy7648

Yes but comparing or trying to compare tsw2 to other games makes no sense whatsoever. Nobody here was mentioning other games

28. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Dude i know exactly what you are saying and mean and yes it is that simple, to make it idiot proof, basically TSW2 is a game and other same style games cost the same price point, that why when comparing the DLC prices, its at the same price point of DLC's of the same types of games, its that bleeding simple, its how business works.......

29. krustynuggets

So going off your logic then DTG should sell me all the DLC for TSW2 for pennies then because i got made redundant because of covid-19 and was only able to get the base game..............

People will think of any insane lump of smelly brown stuff that lives in a loo to try and prove their point..........

30. tallboy7648

No I am not saying they should sell their products for pennies. I'm looking at the side who is calling for price drops. It seems to be a sensitive topic to touch on. I can afford the dlcs but I do get why some are calling for price drops.

31. krustynuggets

Don't think its a sensitive subject at all, its called people who can't get what they want when they want for whatever reasons, lack of jobs or money crying about them missing out on the latest content for the game and hoping that their sob story is going to tug at the heartstrings of the company, and frankly it's pathetic, I've got no job or money and am barely scraping by but i don't expect any price drops because of the situation I am in, I'll just buy it all when i land myself a job again it's that simple and easy, though finding the dam job ain't so simple.......

32. ARuscoe

Last word from me on this subject... I'll equate it to the students in the UK who had a regular payment set up for the lottery, and the one week when their numbers came up they didn't have £2.50 in the bank to pay for the ticket.
    Sucks to be them, really really sucks that for the price of a pint they could be millionnaires, but much as you may feel for them the lottery company don't owe them squat.
    Same applies here. If you can't afford the hobby (and simming IS a hobby) don't get into it

33. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I don't want to get into arguments but I just wanted to pick up on a couple of things,

Densha de Go is a Japanese train simulator that has been released on basically every device under the sun with the exception of Xbox (presumably Xbox isn't very prominent in Japan?) It's apparently very popular, as it's apparently had parodies made of it and has limited support for PSVR. It also competes with a series called Train Simulator (different to the DTG one), which has since been renamed "Railfan". The latest release from 2007 was on PS3. I'll be honest, I had to go digging and look a lot of that up, but I did know of a Japanese train simulator on consoles.

Also, by saying DTG can't compete with other software because that other software is not a train sim is a bit like saying CrossCountry can't compete with cars because they're two very different ways of getting around - reality is that cars do (and always have) posed a huge risk to the railways, and was one of the reasons for the infamous Beeching report.

Additionally, I think it's a bit rich for you to say it's ridiculous to compare TSW to the likes of Need for Speed, given you posted in another thread about upcoming sales comparing DTG pricing a DLC at $30 to a 1 year subscription to EA which gives you a lot of major triple A games for $30.

34. tallboy7648

It's not rich at all. Comparing tsw2 to a triple a game makes no sense. I'm 100% confident that dtg are not trying to compete with Battlefield or Star Wars. Also Densha De Go is only available in Japan for playstation and I think you probably missed my point or didn't understand what I was trying to say when I brought up EA Play. If dtg are gonna charge $30 for a product, then the quality should feel like the price being charged because in some cases some routes don't have the best quality like sehs and some of the preserved collection routes at the moment like Lirr and Rapid Transit and they are $30

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021