Route Proposal: Central Or South American Narrow Gauge

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GWR5029, Mar 26, 2018.

?
  1. Brazil

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Colombia

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Ecuador

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. El Salvador

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Guatemala

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Argentina

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. GWR5029

GWR5029 Member

As a British Railway enthusiast, we are used to the likes of the Ffestiniog and Vale of Rheidol (which I would love to be the first TSW Steam route (FR), and a TS2018 route (VoR) respectively), but Central and South America has some stunning narrow gauge.

CENTRAL AMERICA:
    The International Railways of Central America (Guatemala and El Salvador)
    An amazing American built network that lasted until the early 2000s.
    [​IMG]
    The last steam locomotive to work in the country, in 2007.
    [​IMG]
    The last steam loco to operate in El Salvador before being put in a museum, in 2014.
    [​IMG]

The railway used vintage 1900s steel carriages, plus a wooden presidential saloon and 2 observation saloons (one steel, one wood).

SOUTH AMERICA:
    Colombia: The Turisten Tren, a fabulous preserved railway that operates from Bogota to the Salt Cathedral. Engines range from 1940s Baldwins (such as the left) to a beautiful restored 2-6-0 owned by a British gentleman, Number 8 (at right).

[​IMG]
    No regular freight trains ran for many years, leaving most of the rail network available for steam trains. Several freight operators have started operations, and one has purchased one of the Turistren steam engines for use on the Pacific Coast.
    [​IMG]

Carriages are modern 1940s/1950s style. Similar to open Mk1s.

Ecuador: Home to one of the most scenic railways in the world, the Guayaquil and Quito. Operated by little Baldwin locos until the 1980s, the line has now been reborn (without its character of riding on the roof) as a European owned "Hotel Train" the Tren Ecuador. Below is Devil's Nose.
    [​IMG]

The smaller, older engines, wear a striking red livery (7*, 11, 14, 15*, 17) * is inoperative
    [​IMG]
    The bigger engines (40-58) are black. 53 and 58 are operative, with 45 having been restored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The line operated old wooden carriages until 2013, but now runs new steel European carriages, plus the wooden ones (now varnished teak, at certain galas).

Brazil: Home to a 2ft6 inch railway system that once ran more than 300 kilometres, but now only runs 13km, the heritage is still alive.
    One of the 3 operating 4-6-0s pulls a train of all wooden carriages towards Tiradentes.
    [​IMG]

The only operating 4-4-0 on the line (shown here in the original green livery, which has since been replaced by black, as the loco is an oil burner) is seen on the Tiradentes turntable.
    [​IMG]
    "The Big Engine", VFCO 68, a 2-8-0, sits at Tiradentes Station (the turntable is at right). This is the end of the line.
    [​IMG]

The crowning jewel, the main station. Comparable with Paddington, isn't it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carriages are made of wood, and some have open balconies, whilst others are closed. The railway has 2 observation saloons.

Argentina: La Trochita-this barren railway still retains its entire line, though with the exception of on special occasions, trains only operate over smaller portions. The winds are so strong they can blow a train over.
    Below is one of the railway's vintage 1922 Baldwin steam locomotives. (2-8-2)
    [​IMG]
    One of the rare German (Henschel) 2-8-2s is seen. Just like the Brazilian locos, they were built to burn wood, but later converted to oil.
    [​IMG]

Carriages consist of Danish and Belgian (2 sets that alternate) wooden carriages built in the early 1900s.
    Engine 1 retains its bell. It is seen here with one set of coaching stock, notice the different roof type compared to the set seen above.
    [​IMG]

If anyone (DTG......) likes one of these items, I am sure I could try to find more information on one specific route, this was just a general proposal. Now I am off to finish my Vale of Rhiedol proposal......

• Like Like x 2
  2. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Some well thought out proposals, personally I would like to see the Ecuadorian route and locomotives made for Train Sim World. Unfortunately, I doubt that DTG will make this sort of route and a third party will have to create it after the content creation tools are released.

3. LanaChapada

LanaChapada Member

As a Brazilian I'd would love the see the Tiradentes line