Why Developers Can Not Make An Easy-to-run Option

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by hakan.pettersson, Mar 10, 2021.

1. hakan.pettersson

hakan.pettersson New Member

Hello
    I'm disappointed that the TSW2 is so difficult to drive.
    Why developers can not make an easy-to-run option
    This would mean that many more people would buy TSW2
    The graphics are much better than in TS19.
    Have bought TSW twice, but could not even get on board a locomotive.
    Therefore, it has been returned both times.

2. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

Did you try the tutorials?

3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's a tad odd. TSW has tutorials which explain the basics you need to know to get a locomotive moving. Getting on board is as simple as clicking on the door to open it, pressing E to climb in the cab, walk to the drivers seat, and press E to sit in it. Basically any tutorial I've done in TSW explains this. Was there any specific locomotive you had troubles with?

Additionally, once controlling the cab, TSW keybinds are pretty similar to Train Simulator. When you have prior experience in Train Simulator, getting started in TSW shouldn't be much of a challenge. So I'm surprised to read you have problems getting started.

• Like Like x 7
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

When I had Trainz I did occasionally use the model railway type controller option especially in steam trains. I think TSW should also have that exact same controller option. The trains still follow a basic physics model which would be similar to how AI trains work, and there are appropriate engine and traction motor sounds as if proper controls are used. It wouldn’t alter the game for anyone who still wanted to operate the trains properly as it would be an option they could just ignore.

I think one of the things preventing this being included so far is that you play as the driver not the train so you are able to leave the seat and scenarios often have you start on foot, and a decision to always have things realistically represented. I would hope that a simpler option for just the train controls will be introduced for those people who either struggle with real controls or just want a simpler method through choice. It can’t harm the game at all but will broaden its reach with a potential larger audience.

I don’t think this would help you get inside the train though, that should be simple enough now and would be the same under a simpler to use controls option too.

5. hakan.pettersson

Hello
    thank you for the answers
    But I can not bear to check the instructions for use.

The only thing I hope for is that there will be a simple driving mode, the same as in TS19

• Like Like x 1
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Why are you complaining about not knowing how to play if you refuse to take a 5-10 minute tutorial on how to do so?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

That's like complaining at the car dealer that you can't find the ignition and refuse to read the owners manual...

(By the way, the controls in trains have many similarities so you don't need to watch the tutorial for every new train. But if you can't get it moving it might be helpful to take a look at them.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Normally the issues are how do you get to the point where stick W in drive and A makes it move is what people want as a bare minimum, and the tutorials do tend to show you this.
    I know you may want it even easier (shift - W; W; A and you're moving) but that isn't the case in this game and I think the startup sequences are likely to get MORE complex rather then less

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The thing is OP mentions he doesn't even know board the locomotive. That's prior to actually controlling the train.

I really have a hard time trying to understand how one can not figure out how to enter a cab. It's basically walking to the door, opening the door, climbing up, and entering the seat. Any tutorial I've seen explains how to do this. Yes, they even explain how to look around and walk, something that most of us familiar with 3D-games wouldn't need explained, and then there's tooltips telling you what buttons to press when you reach the door.

I really have no clue what part of that procedure could confuse people. But I know that I'm already familiar with the basic mouse+WASD control scheme that's very common for 3D games on PC. It may not be common knownledge for those of us who never play such games. But that's where the tutorial fills in the gaps. It doesn't really skip any of these simple steps required to get on board a locomotive...

Personally, I think TSW has much better tutorials and learning curve compared to Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ARuscoe

Somewhere deep in my distant memory I seem to remember someone somewhere from DTG saying that they need to actually put in that the walking controls ARE ASDW because it's not absolutely blatantly obvious to people who haven't come across it before

11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Indeed, and things like rail simulation might attract some of the older people, which may not be the ones who play a lot of games. :P

12. ARuscoe

Define "older people"?
    My brother is in his fifties (just) and he's been playing games since before the NES... Maybe they haven't played them in a while or don't know what this new fangled technology is though haha

• Like Like x 1
  13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

May not be just an age thing, but I just think part of the TSW players may not be "gamers". :)

14. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Pretty much every game I play explains things like WSAD and view controls in the tutorial, because for some people it might be their first game. With TSW having a mix of packs and a lot of players who stick to their preferred region that does mean they need to include in all routes. Maybe have something like the TS academy?

There's always going to be a conflict between those who want Study Sim with cold starts and those who want simple controls. I do wonder if there should be a "Get Me Running" or "Reset safety systems" option in the pause menu.

15. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Play the tutorial. They'll get you up to speed on the basics.

16. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Well there you go!

17. hakan.pettersson

Hello
    I'm 72 years old and have never played any games before.
    I do not want to get a lot of "LOVE", my wish was that there could be an easier way to run TSW2
    Have played MSTS , Trains and TS19, no other games

• Like Like x 1
  18. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Some of the other games you mention are more difficult to learn how to drive, each route and traction comes with a training tutorial that shows everything g from entering the cab to shutting down the train.

in most cases you don’t have to start the train up it is just a case of master key, reverser, throttle and brake.
    If you have a go with the tutorial it will give you all the instruction you need

19. hakan.pettersson

OK I'll try :|

• Like Like x 2
  20. hakan.pettersson

Hi
    So I bought TSW2 for the third time on SALE.
    Managed to get me on board and get the locomotive up and running, but it was unnecessarily cumbersome and time consuming. Calls for a more user-friendly start

21. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

TSW is very arcade, i don't get you. Just do the tutorials and scenario and you will learn how to drive

22. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Starting a train in TSW is not harder than starting a real car. Or do you also complain that turning the ignition key, turning on the lights, switch into gear and releasing the parking brake takes to long in a car?
    Whilst I'm used to doing these things in TSW it doesn't take me more than 20sec to set up the train completely including safety systems. Compared to a real train you have to do nearly nothing in TSW. So I don't understand how much more you want there being done for you.

PS: In classic TS you also have to set up the train. At maximum, you have to do two extra steps in TSW to get a train moving. Since you've managed to get on this forum, create an account and post this thread I doubt that these two extra steps would be much of a hurdle for you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  23. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Note that simply walking and looking around can be complicated for people who never played any games before, while it looks so simple for us who've played games since we were kids.

24. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah which is fair enough, however he said above he doesn’t want to do nor read the tutorials, so...

25. rhyttik

rhyttik Active Member

because its a realistic train sim. not a train sim with fake controls. U should not be disapointed the whole point is to have a realistic experience. want to drive with easy controls? go to SCR: https://www.roblox.com/games/696347899/V1-7-Stepford-County-Railway#

26. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

What a waste of a thread, Watch the tutorials which are no more than 10 mins, don't be lazy, and turn on the HUD if your new

27. djhawtin1

'LOVE' More like 'Embrassment' But Seriously, watch the tutorial, and if you don't, don't go on their suggestions website complaining about an eaisier way of playing it and then being to lazy to Watch the tutorials/Manuals

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

LOVE is what the forum changes a lot of swear words to...

29. djhawtin1

Mate, i know, i have been here a while

• Like Like x 1