What's Up With The Br Class 08 Alarm And It Shutting Down And Stopping All The Time?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, Mar 9, 2021.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

When the br class 08 reachs to speed(25mph really?)theres a short alarm an then it slows down and stops....how can you get any work done with nonsence like this.

2. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

That is as it should be - Class 08's were geared for either 15 or 20mph max speed - Going faster could cause serious damage to the locomotive.

• Like Like x 4
  3. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Oh dear... It is a shunting loco first and foremost, so 25 mph is plenty, especially considering when this machine was made. It has a Vmax of 25 mph so if you exceed that, you don't need to wonder if it breaks down.
    Or maybe you are experiencing some other issue, are you by any chance going fullthrottle from standing still? It is an old machine - ever lifted the clutch of your car instantly? Your car stalls and stops immediately. Same happens with this diesel engine if you go full power right away. This is not gta, it is a bit fiddly working with these machines and not just "press w for speed".
    So no reason to call nonsense when the machine actually performs as it is expected to be.

• Like Like x 2
  4. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

Look at the cab speedo. Red zone 15- 20 MPH. Try driving your car, hit the red line and keep accelerating. Eventually your engine ends up on the road.

The only nonsense is your ability to drive the loco properly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What do you think this train is for? It’s a shunter, not a race car. If you are going up to 25mph you are going too fast. If you are moving wagons around in a yard the yard speed limit is probably lower than that as well. You are free to enjoy the game any way that you want but certain trains are built for certain purposes and you can’t complain if you are pushing them too far and they stop working.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Sad colonel noises

• Like Like x 1
  7. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Grip it and Rip it

• Like Like x 2
  8. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

I can testify to this. Several times.

Still, I have always lived my life by my own rules and I'll be damned is some tachometer is going to dictate what I can and can't do. Sticking to the limits is a sign of weakness and cars can sense weakness, so sometimes you've just got to kick it in the guts, show her who's boss and say to hell with the pain of waiting on the hard shoulder of the M56 for the A.A and subsequent credit card bill for repairs (I am a man who managed to detonate the engines of two different Alfa 156 in as many months, then blew the fancy DSG gearbox on a brand spanker 159 to smithereens 7 months later, if only to prove to myself that the dealers promise of it being a system that was 'as bullet proof as it is fool proof' was a challenge that I could rise to. God bless 3 year warranties!).

Like the OP, I too would like to indulge in some extreme shunting to the point of seeing flames licking from around the engine cover of the 08 and smoke pouring from the brakes and am even all for the idea of being able to use a Class 43 for some enthusiastically paced shunting too, but the game is what it is and programmed rules are programmed rules. In this instance, these are rules that have to be obeyed...even if done so under duress.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

From what I know the 08 was 15mph max and the 09 25mph, so tanking these units will result in failure

10. SHINO BAZ

If i wanted to drive a slow and underpowered locomotive i just use the br class 47.

11. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

That's funny as ive clocked 85-90mph on the GWE in scenario planner, so wouldn't call that slow or underpowered but that's just me.......

12. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Oh dear......

• Like Like x 1
  13. SHINO BAZ

I read alot of post about the br class 47 either being really great or really bad,so which is it?
    On the wsr that br class 47 gets called weak and slow.
    Yet on ntp that class 47 is strong and fast.
    How can the same two locomotives be so different?

14. krustynuggets

Because they aren't the same version of the 47 I'm sure the are completely separate versions like how the 52 is getting a completely new version of itself for the new GWE DLC tomorrow.

15. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Sub-classes. The WSR is rated at 75mph. NTP is rated at 95mph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_47

16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Are you talking about these locos in TSW2020 where on PS4 they were underpowered and then only the NTP version was updated to have the correct power (in July 2020 or thereabouts)? Both were fixed for TSW2 and that was also a long time ago now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Well you have all the freedom to do so, thus rendering your rant pointless....?

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The 08 isn't underpowered, it's powered perfectly fine for what it's intended to do which is slow speed shunting or mashalling in yards or around stations. They were never intended to run main lines

• Like Like x 1
  19. Class395

Class395 Active Member

I swear this guy must be a troll, like, I can't believe this is for real.

• Like Like x 1
  20. krustynuggets

The dude has put sum interesting threads up on these forums to say the least, you really do have to wonder the motives sometimes that for sure........

21. SHINO BAZ

I don't have any problem with the br class 08 power it pulls just fine it is a shunting engine after all(It shutting down at speed it it's problem),i was not comparing it to the br class 47 in any way.

But that just made me think of something...In the great western legends add on one of the 08 senarios is to go and rescue a class 52 and it's passenger train,isn't this a duty in which a yard locomotive isn't really suited for?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021