Route Suggestion-pittsburgh Line Johnstown To Altoona, Pa

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mariner86, Mar 11, 2021.

1. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

The Pittsburgh line for Johnstown to Altoona, was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad. It is the main line crossing the Allegheny Mountains and features the Horshoe Curve National Historic Landmark, the Gallitzin and Allegheny tunnels, as well you could run the line out as far as the Juniata shops in Altoona. They were the primary locomotive shops for the PRR and successor railroads. They were used to build steam locomotives in the Steam era, and extensively refurbish diesels after dieselization. You could set the route in multiple eras. The Pennsylvania Railroad, Penn Central, Conrail, or Norfolk Southern. I personally would like to see it in the late 90s around the Conrail NS merger as there was an abundance of interesting equipment in the area. The SD-80 MAC has always been one of my favorite locomotives and they were used extensively on this route. There could be interesting helper scenarios as well picking up Helpers in Cresson and returning from Altoona. It’s a very busy mainline and would be a great addition to the game. A lot of US rail history and a legendary US route.
    upload_2021-3-11_12-56-50.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-11_12-57-23.jpeg

upload_2021-3-11_12-58-17.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-11_12-58-53.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-11_12-59-44.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

My suggestion is Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, the distance is very long, can be sold in sections.

3. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I think there was a route in TS that encompassed Horse Shoe Curve. It was from Altoona to Johnstown with the F7 and GP7 locos. They also made a PRR electric loco add on to it. It would be interesting if they did the same in TSW2

4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

There have been steam and diesel add ons for it on Ts21, but not electric as the PRR never electrified this part of their system. (The GG1 DLC was for the NEC not Horseshoe Curve)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  5. GildenSpikeRailVideos

GildenSpikeRailVideos Member

This route is much needed. I wish they would do the modern version. I believe they can’t get licensing from CR, because it’s still a company.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

That would still be cool! Last I was there they were using SD70ACU helpers they would be a pretty cool locomotive for the route. Maybe a GE Gevo, and even the Amtrak Pennsylvanian with station stops in Johnstown and Altoona. I may be weird but I think some activities within the shop complex could be a lot of fun. Or the Union Tank car facility in Altoona as well. When steam comes to the game it would be awesome to haul a steam excursion up and over the curve!! They could do PRR K4 1361, or T1 5550. If they don’t do steam E8 5711 and 5809 both have pulled excursions there. They would be cool locos to operate as well, and they’ve already done a smaller covered wagon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

Videos of some ideas for this route.

8. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I am not intrested an another freight route. We have yet to get a new american passenger route

10. bassman612

bassman612 Member

I'd love to see this route. I grew up in the '70s and '80s 4 blocks from the Juniata shops. The house I lived in is just off the right side of the 2nd pic in the opening post with the turntable. Watching the Conrail trains there and at the horseshoe curve is how I became interested in trains in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GildenSpikeRailVideos

GildenSpikeRailVideos Member

The horseshoe curve sees 2 Amtrak trains per day.

12. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

I grew up in Pittsburgh and me and my Dad used to drive out to Altoona a lot on weekends, so I also grew up with Conrail also. I was about a decade after you, going up there in the 90s a lot. I really enjoyed the transition years from Conrail to NS lots of interesting equipment moving around, and when Amtrak used to basically run a mixed train over the line with the Three Rivers. I have very fond memories of the Altoona rail fest, the last year before the merger I think was the best one I went too, both sets of shops basically completely open, it was a very cool weekend. I think that was the first year the E8’s were back too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

If it were set in the late 90s or early 2000s they could do four trains a day. I think the Three Rivers stopped running in the early 2000s. It was a cool train though as it was almost a freight train with a few passenger cars in the middle. I thought this era was pretty cool as it was kind of Amtrak’s second rainbow era with a mix of paint schemes, and with the Conrail NS merger a lot of different paint schemes with NS as well. I actually think that’s one of the things lacking about the game is that the US freight routes don’t have passenger services. If they did a P42 they could run on any route that has long haul Amtrak service really between the early 90s and today. I think the Capitol Limited would be a great addition to Sand Patch too! It may just be me but I find the commuter and electric railroads a bit boring. I’d personally like to see something that has a good mix of passenger and freight. Even with the LIRR it would be so cool to have the switching railroad that operates over that trackage. I think the US mountain routes and freight railroads is what makes it unique as compared to the UK and European routes. That being said I would love to have passenger services on the US routes as well!! That’s what I think is the most fun part of operating on Sand Patch is the challenge of getting a heavy freight up and over the mountain. I’m really excited for the Clinchfield!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tallboy7648

Now that peeks my intrest :)

15. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

16. tallboy7648

Yep now im intrested. It seems that the train was doing both passenger and pulling freight which seems very Intresting. I know amtrak has done things like that before

17. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

They had a contract with the US Postal Service moving priority mail at the time I believe. Although I think they did even more, I think I remember even seeing reefer cars at some point. In Pittsburgh I once saw a train come through three P42s and a whole bunch of express cars, and no passenger cars at all. It was an interesting time in the area!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I'm from Pittsburgh and have taken the Capitol Limited several times.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

Pittsburgh is a great spot to be from! Especially if you’re a rail fan!

• Like Like x 2
  20. bassman612

bassman612 Member

As I wrote above, I grew up in the Juniata part of Altoona, then lived in Harrisburg for 12 years, and now live in Pittsburgh. This route and the trains that have run on it I've enjoyed watching all my life. To be more specific, I live just south of Pittsburgh in Castle Shannon 2 blocks from the Norfolk Southern line. There is an un-gaurded crossing here, and I enjoy listening to the trains blast their horns going through it. Pittsburgh definitely is a great place to be a rail fan

• Like Like x 2
  21. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

Another Great video about this route. It may be a pipe dream, but this would be so cool in the game!

• Like Like x 1
  22. tallboy7648

A steam train would certainly satisfy steam fans