Do I Get The Diesel Legends Pack?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bradley, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

so I don't know weather to buy the 1970s pack as I already have a 52 2 101s and 2 08s so it adds no new trains for me, the scenarios interest me but for £15 I cant justify it. if they had new sounds and features I would've but it doesn't. yes I understand its not made for players like me who's been playing since day one of console launch and is aimed towards new people. yes I know you get to use them in livery creator editor whatever it is, but for me this isn't a selling point. I'm 50/50 but seriously don't know what to do with it

• Like Like x 2
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As is being discussed elsewhere the value in this route will vary. If you have the Heavy Freight pack with NTP and the Class 31 from TVL then you get more service content, with freight runs etc, so it may give you some good use for a lot of your current collection. It’s also good value for people who don’t have any of the locos in the pack. They get three new trains. In between those two extremes, where a lot of players will be, it’s all down to how much you want the timetable for trains you may own already. The route is modern and the Class 101 isn’t the right DMU for the route but if those things don’t bother you then I think it’s worth getting. I think a lot of people will wait for a sale though because it is more expensive than a loco DLC. There are other DLC coming out soon that might be better value at full price.

When I watched the live stream last night, I was jealous that I wasn’t driving the the trains myself, which is how I knew that I definitely want to get it. You won’t be the only person who can’t decide, it’s giving a lot of people a headache for numerous reasons.

• Like Like x 3
  3. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I am clear that I am not going to buy it, and I do not have class 52. But I am tired of playing GWE and I am not going to spend money for a new schedule, they have not even modified anything of the route to adapt it to the other time to make you feel different. I certainly prefer to save the money for future routes, which at least will be something totally new and different at TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  4. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Forget about the modern buildings and overhead lines (they are not used in the original GWE route anyway)
    The old trains in their usual route don't have time to get up to max speed before reaching a low speed limit
    so I think this will be a very different experience with them
    The HST tends to get a bit boring as all that is required is get to 125mph and hold it as far as Reading
    I think locos that need a bit of coaxing to reach top speed and
    not having double ended trains at Paddington will add a new dimension to the route
    I have all the dlc required to make this work (except the class 52)
    £14.99 for this is reasonable (I think) as when buying a single loco pack for £11.99 you get a handful of services
    but with this you get 269 for an extra £3
    Personally, at one minute past midnight next Thursday I will be downloading

UPDATE:-
    Poorly worked add on,
    First timetable run I tried (1st on the list)
    Spawned on foot at a station way down the line
    with no train to operate, it's the same for the first 5 timetable runs.
    Then tried a class 52 tutorial, that worked fine,
    Then tried a scenario as far as Slough but AWS on the 52 couldn't be activated
    as the pointer won't reach all the way down to the switches
    What on earth do the QA team actually do? Or, do they really exist?
    DISSAPOINTED!!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Markerson

Markerson Member

Same as you David I will be purchasing thanks to the Class 52. The additional services will be very welcome and add the variety GWE needs after nearly 3 years in use.

Of course it helps enormously that I already own NTP and BR Heavy Freight which will add some other layers. Cant wait but I do see why others are a little apprehensive about purchasing.

• Like Like x 3
  6. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I agree, I shall buy it even though it is only the 52 I don’t have. It’s the full timetable and the chance to do and observe the run arounds. Getting the 31 on real stock also appeals

• Like Like x 2
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

(emphasis added)

Why don't people understand that not "even" doing this "trivial" thing means not rebuilding the entire damn route from scratch?

• Like Like x 2
  8. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Well after watching the stream they clearly state no locos are included. So basically you need to own GWE, NTP and TVL routes, then the class 52 and BR Freight loco packs.
    I would love add more gameplay to GWE, since I've driven it to death. But I don't own the 52 which I need to buy the TVL to download. I have the other 3.
    But in Canada each route DLC is $39.99 and locos are $26.99. So I would need to pay $67.00 in order for me to be able to by this pack which is going to be $32.99. So $100.00 for just a new timetable?

And if someone who has bought just TSW2 and none of the preserved collection, would need to buy $174.00 in DLC just to have this pack work and again $32.99 for the pack too. So over $200.00 for one pack to work properly?

Who is this marketed for? It's not realistic enough for the die hard fans and bloody expensive for new people to the game. Sam keeps saying you don't have to buy everything and this one was for people who didn't want to download the extras in a past roadmap. So he seems to have been very misinformed on what this pack is exactly.

Oh and the fact that it is not complete on release either. Freight will be added later makes me question why not wait to release?

Shame just when things start looking up with the incredible 465 DLC, this seems to put a downer on their rep again.

I get what they are doing I just feel they marketed it very wrong. I love the idea and hope they try it again, but actually be accurate in what they tell us about the pack.

9. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Ok, firstly the class 52 isn't from TVL and you don't need another pack for it to be in this one. The 52 was part of WSR but the one in this pack is different and has been reworked.
    Secondly, the pack does include 3 locos/units so a new player can drive the class 101, class 52 and the class 08 if they don't have other packs where those were included. Yes, they are not new to most players but for some they will be new because they don't own TVL, NTP or BR HF.
    The only route that players need to get this new timetable is the GWE pack.

You only need the other packs if you want some services replaced by other units, some non-express services and freight when it's added in later.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

i don't know, i own gwr and ntp, so i would get a few new trains but personally i don't think i am going to get it purely as I'm not too interested in more oldy times but i dont know if you are, I want dovetail to do more of these, introducing new timetables and scenarios but i think in future maybe for 10.99 if no locos.
    All in all i would maybe buy a lets say sehs thameslink/ electric british rail, same for ecw. I think its a good concept but this one is not for me, timeperiod wise.
    Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

Looks interesting to me. I don't have the 52, so that'll be a nice addition to my collection. I like the look of running down from the yard to connect to the train and then having to head to Reading, or even (if it's in there) having to wait at Paddington for the train to get hauled away so you can go back to the yard for refuelling. It'll be more fun when freight and yard work (beyond assembling the trains) gets added in as well. I can see why it wouldn't be for everybody, though.

12. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Train Sim World 2020 has just gone on sale for £10 by the way. It will have GWE and NTP entitlements for TSW 2 if you need them for this new DLC. You will still need to buy BR Heavy Freight for the optional layer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  13. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

If you like the look of it , get it . If you don’t like the look of it , don’t get it

14. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

The issue I have is that most of the pack is broken!

Services don't work properly. Doors don't work properly. DSD doesn't work properly all the time on the 52, it just all feels rushed.... again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm surprised, the pack was barely even in planning 3 months if the roadmap's anything to go by. I wish there was more consistency, as the 465 released only a week ago is a really good DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

I've bought it, but if I go to the store page through the game it still shows a price, then when I go to the XBox store through the DTG store it says "owned", but all my other DLC shows as "installed". If I then go into the item on the store it gives me the option to "launch game", but then nothing.

17. rcholmes85

rcholmes85 Active Member

So far I've bought all the content for TSW2, running it on an original xbox one, which can be troublesome but it does the job. I did have concerns about this pack, but because I had a day off from work (I keep doing overtime... what else is there to do?!) I decided I was going to give it a chance because I really do enjoy playing the game/simulator. I've not done much on GWE on TSW2, and I do like driving the diesel trains on NTP and TVL.

After about 12hrs driving on the GWE route, using Diesel Legends timetable, I am enjoying the content. I'm enjoying working through the chapters (4 new chapter to play with this pack). I'm enjoying using the diesel trains and getting them up to full speed. I'm enjoying using the safety systems (except the class 47 - DSD slammed breaks on, after acknowledging the alarm, and wouldn't release). I'm also enjoying working towards my xbox achievements too.

There are some issues, such as doors opening on the wrong side (left opens right side, right opens left side) but I can live with that for now, and theres doesn't feel like a massive amount of traffic on the route at the moment. Maybe when the freight is added that will improve.

I've also printed the Western nameplate checklist off and I'm ticking them off as I drive each one, which is a nice addition for me.

As mentioned many times, there's no new locos with this pack, if you own them already, but I do feel like theres quite a lot of gameplay that comes with it, and overall i'm enjoying it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Can you use the class 52 in the same way as you would if you were purchasing it as a separate item?
    ie, does it integrate in WSR (along with tasks and achievements) as well as scenario planner.

Also, if you uninstall items that introduced the 101 and 08 into the game, are they still useable outside of GWE?

19. rcholmes85

rcholmes85 Active Member

I'd assume that as the 08, 101, and 52 are part of the diesel legends pack, if I uninstalled NTP, TVL and the CL52 packs, I'd still be able to use the trains in scenario planner, because they're part of diesel legends which would still be installed.

I don't think the diesel legends class 52 would integrate with West Somerset, apart from scenario planner, because the West somerset class 52 can't be used on GWE instead of the BR Blue one. The 2 different versions are route specific in terms of timetable mode.

Both class 52s count towards the 520miles in a class 52 achievement so will be the same for the 101 and 08.

20. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Oh, right. I thought it was an identical train but with a different livery. Does that mean if you scroll along your ingame train stats (distance driven etc etc) it shows two Class 52 trains instead of one?.. Assuming you own both of them, that is.

21. rcholmes85

rcholmes85 Active Member

Interestingly it only shows the BR Blue version on the train stats screen but I've checked and you can't use the BR Blue version on West Somerset timetable. You can use the BR Blue version using scenario planner though.

22. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

You need to install it before it will appear. You can find it in the Great Western Express sub menu

23. russianchip

russianchip Guest

Wait and see if the issues are resolved, then wait for the sale in a few months and then decide. I'm leaving it but hoping it works out well

24. david5150

david5150 Well-Known Member

At first I wasn’t too keen but read a few positives so I’m now looking at getting it. I love the UK diesels.

25. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'd like someone to explain to me how this is a "Diesel Legends of the Great Western" pack. The type 4 no argument- couldn't be more Western Region if it was broad gauge. The Class 101 though? Yes it was made in Brum but didn't do much there and the 08 may have been all over the region but it was all over every region- and based on an LMS design!

• Like Like x 1