Why Do Hsts Run As 2+6 Not 2+8?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by grogresaurus77, Mar 28, 2018.

1. grogresaurus77

grogresaurus77 New Member

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, and haven't noticed anyone else do the same. Why do the HSTs run with 6 coaches and not 8? This isn't a massive issue but this didn't happen when I played TS on my laptop.

2. SimFan

SimFan Member

Hmm...I will have to check the next time I run TSW on my Xbox One. I haven't noticed :)

3. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Easier for us to change cabs saves walking distance

4. 410nick

410nick Member

I'm still learning how these new game engines work myself. I'm thinking the Xbox cant handle longer cars possibly due to the framerates? I don't have a PC personally but would love to purchase it one day. I think as they optimize the game more into the future, they'll add that feature along with being able to couple 6 car 166's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

It may be performance related. I've had a quick check in the PC version of TSW and at the time I was checking saw a 2+7 as well as two 2+8 consists.

6. steadfast

steadfast Member

I'd be surprised if it was performance based, since the intermodal freights in game are 20 wagons long, unless it's something to do with rendering 8 carriage worth of passengers. It's a shame the aggregate sets are all 12 wagons long. Fingers crossed we get a class 59 and some heavy and long stone trains at some point

7. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

It's actually accurate for GWR, think you might find 2+8 and 2+6 and more recently 2+4 formations. Found this on another forum:

GWR HSTs are all normally 2+8 formations. However, just recently there have been some 2+7 formations (possibly low density sets).

"low density" (though much higher density than under BR)

TF + TFKB +5x TS (one with wheelchair facilities) + TGS

"high density"

TF + TFKB +5x TS (one with wheelchair facilities) + TGS

"super high density"

TF + TC +5x TS (one with wheelchair facilities) + TGS

(catering on a trolley, where supplied)

These formations do vary depending on available rolling stock as Mk3 coaches are currently being refitted to comply with disability access etc.

8. steadfast

steadfast Member

There are no booked 2+6 sets.
    There was a period where some were running 2+7 but buffets were converted to normal carriages to allow all sets to be increased to 8 carriages.

The 2+4 is a separate thing, the carriages are refitted with power doors and are running on secondary routes in the south West as 158 replacements due to rolling stock shortages. The first set has only just entered service in the last few weeks