Nec: Stuck Brakes On Hopper Cars.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kuu Lightwing, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Active Member

I was toying with various freight cars in service mode to solve the mystery of trains not wanting to roll, and aside from applied handbrakes on tank cars and boxcars, I found out that hopper cars behave weirdly. I think they are misconfigured somehow, here's why:

- If you look at handbrake handle, it will show as "Released", however, if you click on it, you won't see the animation that supposed to be there, you just hear the sound and it switches to "Applied" After this it operates normally.
    - Brakes are visually applied on these cars even after you Apply and then Release the brakes. To have brakes released I needed to decouple the rest of the consist from the problematic car and couple it back in. After this procedure, the car functions normally.

Centerbeam cars I'm not sure about since their brakes do not visually indicate whether they're applied or released.

2. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Active Member

Soo, no comments?

3. jENKS

jENKS New Member

The developers of this arcade game dont care about bugs. They only care about flashy new DLC's to drop on unsuspecting dopes.

They have a track record of derailments. Most of the bugs dont ever get resolved. Despite their claims of "separate teams" and "working hard" to fix things. There are SIMPLE bugs that would take an entry level competent programmer 5 minutes to fix, that are still ongoing over a year later. The shipping container numbering corruption in CSX HH, the track fish plate texture mis-map in CSX, the engine room model export bug, etc.

Shameful. Shameful money grabs!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

If they don’t care about fixing bugs, then why are they fixing NEC New York? Tell me that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jENKS

jENKS New Member

Tell me what they've REALLY fixed?

What they're doing is releasing half a**ed products and hoping it will be tolerated. Many of the bugs are blatantly obvious to someone who just looks at it for a split second. They know they're buggy before they're released. They know they're putting out crap. They're just hoping they can skate by, and do minimal fixes to placate those who complain. If they really cared, they'd NEVER release product after product after product with just as many bugs as features. They'd learn once, and change their operating plan.

You're fooling yourself.

The thing to me that's so heartbreaking, as a rail fan and fellow programmer, is they take each product to like 80% of perfection, and they quit and give up on it, release it, and thus completely ruin it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

They ARE fixing it. I didn’t say it has been fixed yet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

That would hint at not enough time/manpower. Why are you complaining so much about the devs then?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Anthony Pecoraro : they said they fix GWE, RT and they fix the GP40. I am still waiting for that. So why they should fix NEC? And still no freight services on NEC and no information about when it will come.

9. Anthony Pecoraro

Just wait and see.

10. Daniel Bloch

That's what i am doing since over a year ;-)

11. Anthony Pecoraro

Don’t forget that DTG is new to Unreal Engine 4, they are still getting used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I do not argue that they are fixing it right now, because Matt certainly has been putting a lot of extra time in for those freight services. But that’s the problem-it’s extra time, as in, work isn’t giving the time to do this stuff. It won’t be long before work will be giving no time to everyone working on NEC still. The work on NEC may be happening now, but I doubt that’ll be for long.

Throwing out DLC is the job, making it good is a hobby that nobody gets the time (or authorization) for.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jENKS

jENKS New Member

That's exactly right! They pump out DLC after DLC, make promises as to the realism or authenticity that are never even close to being met, then collect feedback on the long list of inevitable bugs, take an inordinately long time to release a patch that only even addresses the "easy" bugs brought up, and then to top it all off, some of the things they explicitly state are fixed are actually not fixed. There is a track record of this behaviour now for years. It looked like they were changing at the launch of TSW, with all the hotfixes, but it soon faded back to the same ol same ol crap.

And, many, many companies (I'd say most, actually) DO make their sims good, and manage to turn a profit. Look at nearly all major developers of flight sim addons. Or driving sim companies like SCS/American Truck Sim, even small ones like BeamNG. Or other niche sims like Stranded Deep - whi is all of TWO people in main development. They are often polished to a high level of completeness. Look at even niche developers, like Eagle Dynamics/DCS. They have systems and vehicles that are infinitely more complex than any of the stuff in TSW, and they have a team about the same size, but they dont release anything that isnt ready for prime time. And when bugs do slip through, they address them quickly and aggressively. And their customers notice that they care. Whatever productivity and money they lose with time spent with bugfixes, they gain back and then some through customer loyalty and a solid product.

To everyone: Don't kid yourself, Dovetail Games has a poor company culture and it's only getting worse.

• Like Like x 2
  14. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I must say, I do like the SCS style of “It’ll be released when it is done.” Wish DTG would go for that, but DTG management is far different than SCS management. SCS management seems more in tune with the devlopers, as if the devlopers are the managers, while DTG has just made the separation between the two too big. That’s really the beauty of indie stuff TBH; the management is the development. DTG just ain’t indie anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

Look how much Train Simulator has improved over the years. Train Sim World will take time to get better.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daniel Bloch

Yeah and TS is still not fixed , good example :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. jENKS

jENKS New Member

Train Simulator has only improved through the efforts of the community and 3rd party developers. Not because of DTG.

18. Anthony Pecoraro

The DLC that DTG has released in the recent years is way better than the DLC that they released years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  19. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

Train Simulator has improved through the efforts of DTG, 3rd party developers create content ;)

20. Daniel Bloch

LastTrainToClarksville : are you paid from DTG to downvote all negative comments? Thx for downvoting our comments.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anthony Pecoraro

I did notice this problem. It won’t move the first time I click on it, however after that it works properly. I don’t have to couple to cars to make them work.