Biggest "mess-ups" You Have Done?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JumpyHumpySpider, Mar 14, 2021.

1. JumpyHumpySpider

JumpyHumpySpider New Member

i'll start, Class 395 from Ebbsfleet INTL to Stratford INTL, spent over 25 minutes stuck in one of the high speed tunnels due to an emergency brake kick-in. after pondering the cab, repeating the same steps numerous times, i stepped out of the cab to hear a loud audible beep, decided to venture to the other cab of my 6 car service. sat in the cab, disabled emergency brakes, turned around and found i had failed to isolate AWS and Vigilence.

oops....

• Like Like x 4
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Need I say much more? :D
    That's the worst in TSW. In TS1, I did once make a scenario with a Lua script that completely broke the entire game - that was fun. I've also messed up plenty of weather blueprints.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Curgenven

Curgenven New Member

Spent all the required time going through the train wash at Munich at the required 5kph (thank goodness for AFB)... and then crashed into the station and derailed when coming in a little too hot.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

Speed testing a Class 47 on the approach into Leeds. I think I managed to skip across four or five different tracks somewhere around the point where the 20mph limit kicks in before the game decided that I was an idiot and sent me back to the lobby.

• Like Like x 2
  5. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

At least you had German EMUs. Imagine running a baby bullet service on Peninsula Corridor with a manually lapped F40PH-2CAT and forgetting a station at 79mph...Not pretty. You'll be stopped in a quarter to half mile.

• Like Like x 2
  6. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Long Island Railroad, departing Jamaica heading to New York Penn stopping at Woodside, I forgot to stop until I was in the tunnels going up into Penn Station wondering why the distance to next stop marker was increasing..

Running a HST service on the Great Western Main Line to Paddington, I misjudged the stopping point, hit the buffers and derailed.

Messing up the changeover procedure in the tunnel heading towards Aix-en-Provence. Also in France, approaching Avignon I was given the stop signal (Red 000) not realizing it was due to another train at the platform, I thought it was for the signal at the end of the platform, not before.. SPAD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

The PZB on SKA with the Talent 2. You're doing 160km and suddenly there's a speed reduction that you need to get down under 85km. 100% braking isn't going to save me in snowy conditions. Now I try to remember to slow down before seeing the signal.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Almost always derail coming into Marseille...

• Like Like x 2
  9. lmcpfc2014

lmcpfc2014 Well-Known Member

I forgot to stop at Slough in the HST, thinking I was only stopping at Reading, and didn't stop until I had overshot by about 3-4 miles

• Like Like x 4
  10. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Haha that gets me all the time, I try to brake nice and smoothly for my passengers but it takes nothing less than a full application to get the speed down in time. I suppose that’s where the route knowledge comes in.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Biggest mess up I can recall right now happened on SPG in Powering America Part 2 while playing SPG for the first time. As you may recall, in Sand Patch (summit), you're being redirected to the wrong line because of track work. I had forgotten about that and as such assumed that the upcoming yellow signal on the HUD was there because the dispatcher didn't clear my track far enough.

The yellow signal was the right one:
    Screenshot 2021-03-15 155508.png
    The next, red, signal was the left one, only 100-200 yards away.

It was red because of an oncoming train that entered my view just before I realized that I was being switched over to its track. Needless to say, I was in full panic mode and opened the emergency brake valve. Thankfully the emergency brakes were strong enough to bring me to a stop just before the red signal.

But the mess up wasn't over yet. Once I had recovered from panic-mode, I set about the necessary measure to release the brakes again. But for some reason, the brake pipe pressure just wouldn't rise. I tried fiddling around with the cut-out valve, the MU valve, but nothing would help. After ten minutes or so, I remembered that I did not apply the emergency brake by putting the auto brake into emergency, but by opening the emergency brake valve. That was one giant deserved facepalm. I closed that valve and could set off again some minutes later.

The rest of the run was thankfully uneventful. :)

Picture credit: Trains magazine: http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/staff/ar...e-a-place-i-should-have-visited-long-ago.aspx

• Like Like x 5
  12. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I love this thread! So much in this thread I have owned, including this one. I also did not expect the red to be so close in Powering America Part 2. However, I didn’t have to worry about recharging after the emergency brake application because it was my first TSW SPAD.

• Like Like x 2
  13. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

What comes to my mind: Some empty depot run in ECW or SKA. I set up the train and sat there for 10 minutes wondering why the signal is still red, Dispatcher not answering and no traffic...
    I brought up the route map to look if a switch is somehow wrong and it took me approximately two more minutes until I realized I'm in the wrong end cab of the train.

• Like Like x 12
  14. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a TS1 video where they had to reverse at a station, and spent 20 minutes waiting for the signal to clear. Tbf it was not communicated to the player they have to change ends.

15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Mainly SPAD's but first time I tried a shunting scenario with the 363 I made a "firm" approach to the wagons and got advised I had derailed or damaged the train - game over!

• Like Like x 3
  16. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I got "run over" by a train on the pennine tran in trying to remove a tree trunk on the edge of the tracks !!

Fortunately I passed through the train tsw does not deal with the death of the pilote !!!

Another faith on the sand patch I wanted to play smart and go on the 2nd loco while the train rolled and I fell on the ground ....

• Like Like x 1
  17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I have a bad habit of SPADing (?) right at the end of a ~30minutes/1h long freight service in RSN and RRO

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. JumpyHumpySpider

JumpyHumpySpider New Member

Loving these replies, we're all human and i find its awesome to share these situations :D i've done some intentional Bull-crapery as in, waiting for my train to arrive, i walk over to a train parked on the other platform, get into the cab, lock the doors, set-up the train to depart, hit full throttle then leg it out of the train! ghost train! apparently that is an effective way to SPAD and fail your scenario XD

• Like Like x 3
  19. JustWentSouth

Today, I was at the power change point on the LGV. Instead of raising the pantograph with the dial, I hit the adjacent emergency button.

The list is long for me, but here are some I remember:
    - Learning PZB the hard way: one emergency stop at a time
    - Stuck in the tunnel with 395 because I didn't disable AWS and DRA when I switched ends for the trip back.
    - SPAD on a German route because I forgot that the loco I was driving didn't have a combined handle
    - SPAD because I was confused whether I should be looking for signals on the right or left
    - Speed issues when I confuse moving a North American diesel combined throttle with a German one
    - Wandering around a platform while loading passengers and then climbing back in the wrong cab; once at the wrong end of my train and once in the wrong train altogether

• Like Like x 4
  20. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

Is there any other way?

• Like Like x 4
  21. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I multitask while playing so I've definitely had my fair share of blowing straight through stations with emergency brake, thankfully I don't SPAD much though.

Yesterday I made a big oopsie though. I did the ICE Trouble scenario on HMA (I think it was). Got all the way to munich just fine. Pulled in to the station, and tried for a perfect +500 stop. Apparently I didn't hit the brakes hard enough because I ran right into the buffers and derailed. Oddly, I wasn't going very fast, was probably around 5kmh when I hit the buffer, but apparently that's enough. I blame whoever puts stop markers at the very last possible place though

22. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

One time I was on approach to St. Pancras on the Class 395, and on the steep downhill section I went too fast and managed to trip the KVB system. The train comes to a screeching halt right in the middle of a junction just outside the station. Amidst all the beeping noises and flashing lights, I must've tried pushing every button I could see.
    I've tried putting the train into neutral, having the pantagraph come down and then back up again.
    I've tried pressing the clear light button on the KVB unit at least a dozen times.
    I even turned the auxiliaries off and had the train completely shut down.
    Upon doing all of that, there was still a loud beeping noise.

The train was sat on that junction for at least 20 minutes before I realized that all I had to do was put the power/brake controller into emergency and then return it back to neutral to have the brakes reset. Biggest facepalm I've had :D

• Like Like x 5
  23. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Feel like an experienced driver and start playing with the Class 66 fuse panel (at the launch of GWE, March 2018).
    I stood there for over two hours trying unsuccessfully to get the train going again. I was only a mile from Reading:.. :(

• Like Like x 3
  24. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys a bit of virtual vandalism, lol. I was exploring Manchester Victoria on foot when a train full of passengers beside me started to leave. On impulse, without thinking about it, I ran up to the rear of the locomotive and, running alongside the departing train, moved my mouse in the gap and uncoupled it from the passenger carriages. I was curious to see what happened and the loco just carried on. All those poor passengers rolled to a stop and were probably wondering why they weren't moving, lol.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've had a few times were I was a tad too confident in those heavy German freight trains. Drove a tad too fast (but within the speed limit), and getting a yellow signal means you only have 1km to bring the train to a stop before a red signal. Going downhill doesn't help. You can either be lucky and the signal clearing in time, or have a SPAD and the service ends...

Makes me wonder if German signalling actually expects freight trains to get from full speed to full stop within 1km. Wouldn't they use their fancy signalling system to give some speed restrictions in advance to slowly slow down a heavy freight train when there's a red a few blocks away?

26. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

What was the speed you were going? The route may allow 160 kmh, but in Germany freight trains are not allowed to go faster than 120 kmh period. Depending on the max. Allowed speed on your wagons and the pzb setting that you have to use, you may be even limited to 100 kmh or 90 kmh. Going at these speeds usually you get to a halt in time when applying emergency break.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Can't remember. Probably somewhere between 100 and 120 km/h. Main Spessart Bahn. Pretty modern rolling stock there. Still, is it realistic to get no prior warning, other than a yellow signal 1km ahead? Sounds pretty short distance that requires some heavy braking. And once the brakes are on, it takes a while to release.

Slowing down the freight train by giving it speed restrictions sounds more efficiënt to me. And the German signalling system has the ability to do so. So why wouldn't they use it? I've always wondered if TS/TSW simulates that part correctly. But that's a topic of its own, I guess. Didn't intend to derail this thread off-topic :P

28. mclitke

All consists on MSB are designed to go at max speed of 100kmh. I had a spad on that route early on two times because I drove the train to the allowed route speed until I learned about freight trains and the speed limits enforced on them. My father works at the freight yard in Köln and Neuss and has told me how the max speed for each consist is calculated individually, and it is mandatory that a train must come to a stop from seeing a yellow signal until reaching the red signal period. This can be calculated and determines the top speed.
    So if the train is long and heavy, chances are that it may only ever be allowed 80 kmh.
    Also seeing a yellow/green signal is an indication for 40 kmh speed limit coming up, possibly this may be seen before a yellow/yellow is displayed.
    Regarding the speed changes at signals, I don't know how flexible these are and if it was even possible to send each and every train their own speed limits, plus there are lots of signals where no digital speed display is attached to it anyway.
    Sorry for off topic, but maybe it helps!

• Like Like x 2
  29. mclitke

Now on-topic:
    Last week I used the new class 465 and played the night scenario where you finish the service and then drive into the depot.

There is a weird cross-looking track switch, that I did not figure out properly, because after going confidently over it, I was shocked to see the train go left and dropping in between the tracks, ending my service due to derailment.
    I don't know what I set the switch to that it sent me in between the depot tracks, but the second time I did it right :D

• Like Like x 3
  30. adam.fisher6912

adam.fisher6912 Member

Lol. Have done that many times. I always forget to check point when i am in yards. Has led to many frustrating "Stop...Reverse...Change points...Carry on" moments.
    One day I'm sure I'll remember...probably.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Somehow run over by a train on Sandpatch and got stuck inside a locked car wagon that I could not get out of, if only I had known about Control + 0

• Like Like x 2
  32. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

My biggest mess-ups are basically not paying attention for 1 second and then seeing that the next stop or the next red signal is just 500 yards ahead with me being on 75 mph with no brakes applied.

I really should program a sound to play some song when this happens. Just to troll myself. Or having Sams Face appear on the SPAD screen saying "You failed and you really should be ashamed of yourself".

• Like Like x 5
  33. mclitke

Followed by "right. yes. no. Nonono, that's all good" when you are finally stopped :D

• Like Like x 2
  34. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Me using Sifa on Xbox

35. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Curiosity got me last night & I accidentally created my own failed train

On the CL66 you can choose passenger/freight braking, this introduces a delay in the release of brakes on freight to prevent waggon clatter (so I've read), I've been driving the CL37 on the TVL line lots recently & noticed the brakes take a fair time to come off, so brain wave time! Let's switch them to passenger mode 1/2 way through my route! Doing this causes the brakes to stick on & generally misbehave! Tried all sorts to get them back but no, 7 miles from my destination with stuck on brakes declared the train a failure to the signaller, didn't tell them I had messed with it, just said ummm it just broke mate :D

• Like Like x 4
  36. Kilo_Charlie

Kilo_Charlie New Member

Back when I had no idea if I should select PZB U or M mode. I’m guessing the image should be able to speak the message. I was new into driving with PZB on as well.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  37. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Buying TSW just before TSW2 was announced :mad:.

• Like Like x 3
  38. JustWentSouth

Trooper rips off his mirrored sunglasses: “Do you have any clues how fast you were going?”

• Like Like x 2