What Dedicated Controller Does Tsw2 Support?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by George C. Barnes, Mar 13, 2021.

1. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

I know that the TSW2 supports RailDriver; are there any other dedicated controllers that the game supports?

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Not currently. Matt has stated what he wants to happen (which is a generally available API for hardware devs) but I'd not expect any other controllers to come until RailDriver support leaves beta.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

The RailDriver is still in the beta stage and may not stable?
    I was planning to buy the RailDriver, but if it is still buggy, I'll prefer to try that later.

4. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

RailDriver isn't that buggy from what I understand, however it does not support every engine at this time. All the routes included with TSW2 support it, and new content has support for it out of the gate. Older addons from the original TSW for the most part don't at the moment, those will be patched in over time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Raildriver itself runs well with TSW2 George C. Barnes I use it all the time for all locomotives that support it. There are two things to be aware of - only recently added/modified locomotives support it
    • UK
      • 375/9
      • 465/9
      • Bakerloo Tube Stock
      • IoW 483
    • German
      • BR422 Talent 2
      • BR406
    • USA
      • Sand Patch AC4400CD YN3b
      • Sand Patch SD40-2 YN3b
      • Sand Patch GP38-2 YN3b
    The button controls are inconsistent and all over the place. You might like to read https://forums.dovetailgames.com/posts/270713/ for all my and other forum members thoughts on Raildriver.

Yes it is still in beta and we're told that its coming for preserved collection and indeed the 08, 101 and 52 that came out with Diesel Legends caused RD to start working for the other incarnations of the 08, 101 and 52 in the preserved collection.

The LIRR is slated for a significant update shortly so we'll see if that one also supports RD.

For what its worth, I find the RD makes a massive difference in game play and I rarely touch a locomotive that needs to be controlled from keyboard.

If you'd like to see it in use, follow the link to my trainsimulator driver YouTube from my signature and you'll so both live streamed and pre-recorded examples with some tutorials.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I believe the trins in Munich-Augsburg are supported (so that's the BR403 and BR423) - or is it buggy?

7. osiegmund9

osiegmund9 Well-Known Member

BR 423 and BR 403 are also supported as well as the TGV and the 363 on RSN. Also the 442 on SKA is supported.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

sadly sadly, the canadian national trains aren't on the support list :(

9. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

seems only a few locomotives are supported by RD, and there is no guarantee to support them all, especially those old dlcs

hope DTG won't treat RD like what they did to Track IR

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Only a few? A quick count on the advanced control screen says there are 18 now. Everything for TSW2 (except possibly one of the American locos, I don’t know which one because I don’t play with them) including the recent Great Western Diesel Pack. Matt has stated on stream that all new DLC’s should support it, though he never confirms whether they actually do.

The difference between Raildriver and Track Ir is that Raildriver is already here and is a mostly working beta.

Also, they did say Track Ir has only been removed as they are not actively working on it. It could come back (but with DTG we do know that it may well be gone forever).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. paul.pavlinovich

George C. Barnes DTG do seem to be making good with the promise of bringing Raildriver to the preserved collection. The 08, 52 and 101 have got it both in the new BR Blue Diesel Legends livery but also in the preserved collection routes in which they live. The LIRR is due for an update soon and this is the first major update to preserved collection since it all came over to TSW2. The LIRR release is currently in QA so we'll see if the LIRR M3 and M7 come with Raildriver support. Whether they do or not will send a strong message about preserved collection.

Paul

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. paul.pavlinovich

I don't have those routes. If you have time and send me the button configuration for each of the locomotives I can create button labels for them and add them to the document I've shared here on the community. I think I might go see which of those routes are in March Madness so I can play with more RD :).

Paul

13. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

For the time being I have been using Antimicro software since many years ago to map any hardware to keypresses into games that did not support DirectX controllers:

Releases · AntiMicro/antimicro · GitHub

You can define simple key combinations or complex ones based on press/release events on your hardware, and even define ranges in your axis so that you have keys being held while in the max or min position or different keys being sent at different lever positions. If you have controllers like Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter that can work as a gearbox but as a handbrake as well (with spring return to center) you have an easy solution to have incremental traction or brakes handlers. Any joystick with autocentering (via spring return) will also have the same behaviour, but with two axis instead of one. It´s not as good as a full analog axis mapping into the train levers but it´s better than using keyboard only.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

The only thing I worried about is whether they are gonna keep making support for those old DLCs released in TSW2020 and inherited to TSW2.

I love the Canadian National Railway, which unfortunately isn't on the support list.

• Like Like x 1
  15. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

That sounds good, thanks :love:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Let's hope so. I'd love to be able to drive East Coastway and the older German Routes with Raildriver. But at least the new stuff has been consistently arriving with support already there.

• Like Like x 2
  17. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

Wow, that's a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing that information, I'll go check that.

• Like Like x 1