PlayStation Newbie Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by adam.fisher6912, Mar 17, 2021.

1. adam.fisher6912

adam.fisher6912 Member

Have been playing TSW2 for a while now and am feeling adventurous and want to start using AWS etc. Is there an "easy" loco / route to start on so i don't give up with frustration within an hour or so. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

The 166 (GWE), 375 (SEHS), or 377 (ECW) would be easy units to start with imo.

3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

AWS is effectively an alerter so any train that has it is not difficult to use

4. Cricri-7640

Cricri-7640 Member

aws is for english train ,sifa is the same system but for german train

5. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

Weirdly, it's one of those situations where what you think might be difficult and frustrating is actually the complete opposite. If you've been running routes with the AWS off until now, you need to be more vigilant when it comes to signals. With it on, the AWS will simply sound an alarm as you approach a signal to either let you know that it's green, you're good to go and can let her rip, or a different tone to warn you that you might need to start think about how you're going to slow that big sucker down if the next signal isn't green.

Playing with the next signal aspect HUD on kind of makes having the AWS on redundant. To get a more immersive feel, switch that bad boy off and use the AWS to draw your attention to the upcoming signal.

Just remember to clear the AWS when the alarm sounds for anything other than a green within a few seconds of the alarm sounding, or the system will kick in and apply the brakes automatically.

• Like Like x 2
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Not true
    Also not true.

AWS alerts the driver of the state of an upcoming signal or speed limit reduction via a horn tone and also has a bell sound for a signal showing a clear aspect. It is not like a US alerter or German Sifa, which are time based driver vigilance systems. The equivalent of those in UK trains is DSD or DVD.

• Like Like x 4
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It still an alerter and is simple to use

8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's true that AWS and DSD are different systems; DSD is a simple alerter ("are you awake?"), but it's easier to use than Sifa because it resets the timer any time you use the throttle or brake. AWS is an "alert system" in that it sounds a horn 200 yards before a non-clear signal (it rings a bell for greens), but all you have to do is press the button and take no further action- it's not like the intricate PZB!

Modern UK routes also have TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System), which monitors your speed and can sometimes be a bit tricky.

In answer to the OP, I would say the easiest of all would be running freight with the Class 66 on the GWE- no need to worry about station stops or a timetable, so you can concentrate on the safety systems and speed limits, and GWE is a straightforward route with none of the unpleasant surprises of, say, Northern Transpennine. (NOTE: You'll see that many of the GWE speedboards have two speeds on them. The game HUD and speedometer are set to the higher (MU/passenger) speed limit; but freight/loco-hauled must adhere to the lower speed limit.)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. adam.fisher6912

adam.fisher6912 Member

Thank you all for your replies. I shall take a brave pill this weekend and turn the HUD off !!!

10. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I've played TSW since 2018 and still use a limited HUD. You can have everything on, turn it all off or do it in gradual increments to suit your needs. I choose not to have the next signal aspect showing which means I have to keep an eye on the signals as I approach them.

I choose keep speed limits on as I'm not really fussed about learning and memorising them all (I find you do remember certain ones if you drive the same route for a while. The options are there to cater to every level of ability.

11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I’ll just add in to all the above and say that British safety systems are very easy to deal with, AWS is mostly there to tell you stuff, and DSD is just there to make sure you’re still awake.

When activating AWS you’ll need to complete the self test sequence, which is basically pressing circle to acknowledge the long tone alarm, after that it will periodically beep to when you go over AWS magnets, you do not need to acknowledge these, if a magnet is placed at or before either an adverse signal or upcoming speed change you will hear a solid long tone, which you need to acknowledge.

AWS is basically telling you everything that you already know how to do, except you hear a beep while doing it.

DSD is simply an alarm that will sound after a period of around 30-60 seconds if you do not use any throttle/break input, all’s you need to do is press circle to cancel the alarm when you hear it.

12. adam.fisher6912

adam.fisher6912 Member

Thank you for all your help. Who knows, in the next week / month / year / decade i might be posting for advice on PZB and SIFA.
    One step at a time though. Thanks again