Nec: New York Service Mode Overhaul

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NorthRail1, Mar 25, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, these changes should be a high priority for Dovetail Games

51 vote(s)
    78.5%
  2. Yes, however these changes should be a lower priority for Dovetail Games

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, I prefer the service mode as it is currently

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

NEC: New York Service Mode Overhaul
    Following the release of NEC: New York, there has been a large discussion about the service mode on this forum. Many people have complained about the quality of the service mode and here are some suggestions on how to improve it.

Disclaimer: This only covers the passenger services as an 'in-depth' freight timetable will be added later.

The List:
    • Remove the stop at Secaucus. No Amtrak trains stop at Secaucus so it does not make sense that all the service mode trains stop there. Even if some stop at Secaucus due to signalling, they should not have passenger boarding as there are no Amtrak passengers there.
    • Reduce the number of services. In reality, there are around 50 Northeast Regionals per day, not 269. Having a frequency of every 10 minutes is far too many and does not allow space for future addition of Acela Express and NJ Transit services.
    • Split the services into two. A driver change happens at New York Penn, creating a waiting time of around 15 minutes. However, in Train Sim World, this wait doesn't exist and the only option is a full run of the line from Newark to New Rochelle and vice versa. This should be split into services terminating at New York Penn station.
    • Depot Runs. Sunnyside Yard isn't there just for show. There should be empty coaching stock runs to and from Sunnyside Yard at the end and beginning of the day, however these are not present in NEC: New York.
    • More than the Northeast Regional. All of the services at the moment are Northeast Regionals. Many more trains than this operate along this route though. Whilst some services will not be possible to add due to incorrect equipment such as the lack of Viewliners or Metroliner cab cars, however the Vermonter and Pennsylvanian use only Amfleet equipment making it possible to add these services.
    • No more 'Washington - Boston' and 'Boston - Washington'. All of the services are called either 'Washington - Boston' and 'Boston - Washington'. This is not accurate as many Northeast Regional services continue south to Virginia. They should be called 'Northeast Regional' or be named by their Amtrak train number instead similar to how services in CSX Heavy Haul and GWE are named by their service code.
    If you have any more ideas on how to improve the passenger service mode, please leave your suggestions below so I can add them to this list.

EDIT (19/04/2018): NEC: New York Service Mode Update
    • Secaucus: The stopping frequency at Secaucus has been reduced to hourly. There shouldn't be any trains stopping at Secaucus!
    • Split Services: Now Added :)
    • Depot Runs: Still no depot runs, are these going to be added in the future or does NEC: New York exist in a world where trains don't use the depot (DTG please comment)
    • The rest of the original points still apply also!

Links to current Amtrak timetables also included below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

They most likely did the scenarios the way they are because the route is so short and to sort of balance fun and realism.

I'd like to see service mode improved, but I think some of the changes can wait until an expansion is released. Matt also said on discord that QA for services takes fairly long. I'd especially like to see your last 3 points realized though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

In Rapid Transit they did a realistic timetable, and its dead boring.
    Now they wanted to add as many services as possible.. and its dead boring.

What is really missing for me is a realistic timetable to run the services, but also all the other stuff necessary in the daily schedule:
    • Add more than just the services from the one line. (Rapid Transit has only S2 trains, WHY??)
    • If there is not jet the correct rolling stock available, substitute it with the next best thing and replace it later.
    • The depot is not only in use at beginning and end of day.. all day long trains get replaced. So end some trains and send them to the depot while they are replaced by another one.
    • DTG sells us a nice route, that's ok, but what we need is content and that is scenarios and service mode, and just c&p a service every 10 minutes still counts as 1 with different lighting...
    I really wish for more interesting content. GWE still has by far the most interesting service mode, Rapid Transit and now NEC are massive downgrades.
    Its easy visible that service mode on NEC was just a rush job to get it out in time, and not even completed, still waiting on the freight side of service mode.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Will have to agree to this overhaul. The route, in general, looked like it's been rushed and unpolished. And it seems they were more focused on the City Sprinter & Rolling Stock. There is still a lot of fixes to work with no doubt. So hopefully these changes, as you propose, will be mentioned and worked on before the next Add-on or Route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The Pennsylvanian can’t be made for right now, because it uses Amfleet IIs and Amfleet Is.

6. NorthRail1

Amfleet Is could easily be used until an Amfleet II is created, the differences between the two types of Amfleet are much smaller than those between an Amfleet I and a Viewliner or Superliner carriage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd say that would be an acceptable sacrifice to add more variation to services mode. Trying to do the Acela schedule with just the current equipment is when that would become a long shot.

• Like Like x 2
  8. nextgenlemon

nextgenlemon Member

Service mode in this and Rapid Transit has been treated like a joke in my opinion. I believe the announcement for service mode was for it to make the player able to drive and ride trains on realistic 24 hour timetables. This was great in CSX, despite the low amount of trains, I'd imagine it was done right. GWE service mode was just completely nailed (almost), if only we could've had the 165 services as 166 as well it would've been fantastic. Rapid Transit was a massive step down. It was basically a massivly simplified version of the real timeable of one single S-line, which was terrible and my excuse for a refund. NEC has taken even a further step down. I mean, a train every 10 minutes in each direction during 24 hours is not exactly what I'd imagine the community is looking for. I mean come on, even TML could do timetables in World of Subways that are realistic, so DTG, you can do it too. It's such a shame because TSW has such a great potential, but the past few releases have seemed so useless for me because of the limited amount of gameplay.

• Like Like x 5
  9. NorthRail1

I have now updated the original post for the recent service mode update

• Like Like x 2
  10. ItsDJdoubleH

ItsDJdoubleH New Member

So is there an NEC SERVICE MODE timetable anyone can find?

11. NorthRail1

I don't think DTG has made a service mode timetable for NEC: New York yet.

12. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen one, but wouldn’t expect a timetable for the freight scenarios, the passenger yes, but freight is pretty much as it happens for the most part.

13. Sgt Salt

Sgt Salt New Member

really hope we get a timetable

14. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

(1) Another requirement of TSW is that exhaust smoke of an engine go straight upwards. It should behave randomly in all direction as was in TS1.
    (2) Ampearage of Locomotives suddenly shoots up rapidly while at minimum.Throttle is still not in percentage.This should be fixed. Power and brake physics still not properly implemented . "Heavier trains are difficult to accelerate and difficult to stop" should be implemented.
    (3) Signal lights blurr should look realistic.it is still in poor graphics.