Extension Packs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by brfan#9132, Mar 18, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    97.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. brfan#9132

brfan#9132 Active Member

Can we have route extensions like the Great Western Express to Bristol or to Kingswear or Paignton
    I think it would be great do we can expand routes further for new players

• Like Like x 4
  2. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

In the game, there is a timetable for the route from London Paddington to Bristol, but why only go to Reading? No need to add a row of useless timetables to the calendar.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The timetable simply shows the final destination of the service you're driving, for information purposes.

Extending routes has been discussed before and while most would like to see it - e.g. GWE at least to Oxford or Swindon, there are both technical (does the UE4 editor allow a baked product to be reopened and extended) and marketing. i.e. How do you sell the extension - as a separate entity which joins seamlessly like Run 8 routes, so anyone who doesn't own the original complains about buying two routes, or as a whole?

• Like Like x 3
  4. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I think route expansion is an extension of the entire route, and it is completely technically achievable.
    From London to Reading to Swindon, longer driving distances will be achieved.
    London to Reading
    London to Swindon
    London to Bristol
    The whole route can be sold in three sections. Players just want to experience the Great West Express and choose London to Reading directly. The distance is not long and the experience is best. If you want to drive forward, you can buy the route to Swindon. Of course, to complete all the timetable route is to choose to Bristol.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I can also see this happening with the Long Island Railroad this time finishing the entire main line all the way to Ronkonkoma which includes the recently expanded mid Suffolk yard and introducing the brand new M9. Furthermore if you look Southwest of Hillside Support Facility in game map you should see a railway line using the fly over from the main line towards St Albans that is the Montauk Line. Electrified service on that route is called the Babylon branch that one is operated with Express Flyer trains skipping Jamaica terminating at Freeport Seaford Wantagh Merrick Bellmore and Massapequa Park stations in addition to Babylon. Note to the forums European users Long Island Newsday has a paywall that requires a user to pay $1. 70-99 Euro cents and 60-99p if you are from the United Kingdom.

6. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

For the LIRR DLC, I kind of wished the dlc had at least the whole Huntington and partially the Port Washington Line as well(cant stand that useless shuttle run to/from Woodside).OR even if DTG couldn't complete the whole Ronkonkoma, I wouldve been fine as far as Farmingdale..Only ending at Hicksville is kind of boring.....

Also I dont recall the express trains terminating at Merrick(although one in the AM originates there) or Bellmore!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Louie

Louie Well-Known Member

Yeah that sounds great

8. driverwoods#1787

Wantagh and Seaford is where the PM Rush Trains end from Penn Station. AM pattern is start at Wantagh local to Merrick then Express to Penn station skiping Jamaica

9. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

GrandMoffLucaPaguro Active Member

But then you end up with the problem that routes aren't even immersive, no matter how hard you try to make it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

As much as I like the idea of extending routes, Matt said on Tuesdays stream that with SEHS there was a good justification for extending but that this isn't something being considered for other routes, at least not now. This is disappointing but perhaps we might see this issue revisited at some point. Personally I favour the GWE being extended to include all of the passenger and freight branches between London Paddington and Reading along with ECW being extended to Hastings, Ore and Ashford with the Wivelsfield line also.
    But to reiterate, it is not currently planned.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

There is obviously a demand for it so hopefully they will change their minds here and start extending and remastering routes to work with TSW3

• Like Like x 1
  12. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

Exactly.people get mad at dtg for not releasing content they want but when it does come out they get mad at dtg abt the price even tho it’s the same price as all other routes I quote “a bit too pricey for me not worth my money for this Sh-t game”(I think it’s a good game)

• Like Like x 1
  13. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Honestly, I'm one of those who wouldn't mind them bumping the price up a bit if it meant getting the entire length of the route; with the Hanover-Würzburg High-Speed route, we are getting just under 55% of that with the start point at Kassel.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I kind of want to see the Babylon Branch on TSW 3 or Montauk Branch with the dual mode diesel locomotives and the bilevel coach’s c3 cab car.

15. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Let's not get off topic. This thread is for the UK GWR route not LIRR

16. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

I thought it was about extensions in general with an example being given in the OP.

17. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

I think the only way it’s worthwhile DTG’s effort is if they do it from scratch and set in modern day, including the Elizabeth line etc.

Sure it has been said due to the way it was done it would be more technically challenging to extend GWR than alot of other ones, so would almost have to be a new route completely.

18. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Would also have to include the Heathrow Express as well.

19. seanpward

seanpward Active Member

I also like this idea... The gwe could include the traingle down to Taunton, either going past castle Cary from reading or going to Bristol, and then down to Taunton...as previously mentioned, being sold on seperate stages

20. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

Seriously, if they can do routes in stages and allow for route add-ons, that would be AMAZING! Especially if said add-ons could be bought as stand-alone routes in their own right.

21. driverwoods#1787

For that to work DTG needs the Class 800 802 tutorial which covers mode switching if the pantograph were to fail. Elizabeth Line trains use ETCS Level 2 Overlaid on CBTC AWS TPWS. Class 345 ETCS can then be given to Rivet Games to fix the ETCS LZN issue if still presists

22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Won’t happen and has been confirmed by DTG. It’s a five year old route and the difference in old route and extension quality would be too much

23. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

They can do as a brand new route though as the modern route operates the Class 800.

24. chieflongshin

25. smudge3161

smudge3161 New Member

They never once said that was the reason

26. chieflongshin

it was in a road map stream I watched, it may have been when they was discussing the open letter here .

I'm sure someone else had seen it but it was along the lines of extending this route from 5 year old route to an extension would be too jarring.

27. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

So what stops them from remastering the line to meet TSW3 standards with a modern edition thrown in that goes to Heathrow and beyond Reading.

• Like Like x 1
  28. chieflongshin

The tech behind the scenes is different I understand. Each route is like it’s own game

29. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

So why not remake them then to meet the new tech? I know it takes time but it would undoubtedly mean a lot to players who like the classic routes.

30. chieflongshin

You should probably look at rivets stuff if you want to pay twice for a route,

31. GrandMoffLucaPaguro

If that is the cost of an updated route I wouldn't mind, so long as it becomes open to the possibility of extension.