Gwe: Tsw2 Or Ts2021

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Warspite, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

I have something of a dilemma. One of my favourite locomotives has always been the iconic class 52 ‘Western’ which I remember from my train-watching days in the early to mid-1970s. I was therefore particularly excited when DTG announced the BR Blue pack (now called 'Diesel Legends ...' for GWE (including a blue Western) but disappointed with what was included or perhaps more particularly what was not. The choice of a modern-day route was perhaps inevitable as a back-dated route always seemed unlikely. In any event, the skilled ‘modders’ on here seemed to have removed some of the more obvious discrepancies of GWE as a 1970s route.

Before deciding whether to buy the pack, I thought I would see what I already had in TS2021 as a comparison with the TSW2 pack. Some time ago, I had downloaded the ‘Great Western Mainline to Swindon in the BR Blue Period’ route from the Workshop. This uses the Great Western Mainline route as a basis but has backdated it very well. I ran the excellent Workshop scenario by grahnewell ‘[WS] 1B32 Paddington-Bristol Temple Meads’ which has a class 52 as motive power. I replaced the class 50s in the scenario with the unrefurbished ones from the AP class 50 pack and replaced the class 37s with class 31s which are more prototypical from my memories of the period. I don’t want to start the debate again about the unprototypical use of class 101 DMUs in the TSW2 pack but this TS2021 scenario does use class 117s extensively on the local services. It also features buffet cars on express passenger trains and brake vans or brake compartment coaches (BSKs etc.) on all passenger trains. There is a lot of AI traffic on the route which is much as I remember the line in the 1970s and it really is very enjoyable.

However, after the stunning graphics of TSW2, going back to TS2021 does seem a big backward step. I know it comes down to personal choice, but the question is, which takes precedence? Prototypical operation with all the correct motive power or the stunning graphics of TSW2? We talk about immersion as one of the main factors of good train simulation and TSW2 delivers it a lot. However, class 45s on passenger trains, something I never saw on the mainline between Paddington and Reading, would, for me, take away the ‘immersion’. So would the lack of buffet cars and brake coaching stock, and, not wanting to mention them again, 117s …

So my dilemma is: I would love to drive the Western in TSW2 (and it does look gorgeous) but can I deal with the lack of prototype authenticity?

• Like Like x 3
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Personally I can't, the route being modern I can deal with funnily enough. The incorrect and incorrectly liveried DMU is a massive no, the unauthentic carriage formations a big no, the sight of a class 52 running in it's pre 1976 guise with headcodes showing whilst loco's in their post 1976 guise go past a big no, the class 45 on the GWML, just no.

I too have the workshop GWML to Swindon route and have been making scenarios on it using timetables from the 60's and 70's using class 35, 42, 52, 47, 117 and 121. Yes it looks very old fashioned compared to TSW but I would rather be able to create an authentic experience of mine own, not what DTG decree. So I will put up the much older graphics.

• Like Like x 4
  3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it as you're already stuck in front of a computer screen.
    If you can cope with that illusion you can cope with a little fantasy :)

Still on the fence with this dlc myself as I want the 52, but never bought it as the WS limited you to 15mph. Almost criminal.
    Be sure to grab the mod that removes the catenary. and the one for First GW.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

If you can live with the wrong era, then the Class 52, in my opinion, is very good to drive in TSW2.

If authenticity is key to you, then I can only comment on my enjoyment of the Western Hydraulics Pack + Riviera Line. This is also very good but just doesn’t give me the same feeling driving it as TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  5. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

The other thing you haven’t mentioned is price. I bet all those route and locomotive add-ons, particularly the AP ones, add up to well above the £15 to create the scenario you described.

• Like Like x 1
  6. theorganist

I think it depends on the person. I want to recreate the 1970's railway as closely and most realistically as possible, GWE with the BR blue pack doesn't do that. If you just fancy driving some old stock but you aren't a huge fan of the era, not enough to want to recreate it accurately it is a very good value and fun add-on. So for me the fantasy of the BR blue pack doesn't work.

One route was changed because the ballast was the wrong colour so that is the level DTG seem prepared to go to on one hand to make something authentic, yet they then supply an add-on pack supposedly designed to recreate the 1970's on the GWML and make it extremely unrealistic. Maybe I obsess to much over little things but for me I want it to be right. Just like those calling for the colour of the ballast to be changed.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  7. theorganist

I would rather spend the money on add-ons to make something realistic. It depends on how you view the simulator really, is it just driving trains or is it recreating something gone before or something present depending which routes you are driving. For me, it is more than just driving trains.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Warspite

That is true but I had already bought the AP class 52 and 50 packs for TS20xx. I agree that if I didn't have any of the add-ons, it would cost a lot more than 'Diesel Legends'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Warspite

Yes, you're right, it's a simulator, not the real thing, but we do like to immerse ourselves in the illusion!

Although the Westerns are one of my favourite class of locomotives, like you, I couldn't bring myself to get the WS version and trundle along at 15mph. I've already downloaded the various mods for GWE and might see what the route looks like before committing myself to the pack.

• Like Like x 3
  10. theorganist

I am glad there is another one of us then! I have been wondering if I am the only one and being unreasonable!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Oh you are deffo not the only one. If it didn't or doesn't appear on that line or era in real life then I don't use it, only time I do is a 'Railtour Special'

• Like Like x 3
  12. Warspite

I love TSW2 and really thought at one point I wouldn't run TS2021 again. I've really enjoyed running the German routes, particularly with the layers which various add-ons have provided. But because my knowledge of German railways is more limited, I haven't needed to concern myself whether the right locomotive is on the right route. With UK routes, our own knowledge of the subject can spoil the illusion because we know whether something looks right or not. If that makes any sense!

• Like Like x 3
  13. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Absolutely, it all depends on what the individual wants and what constitutes good value for one’s self.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Once I found Just Trains' Western Mainlines DLC that goes from Paddington over to Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter it made the TSW2 version to Reading look so very, very short. There are only so many times you can go from Paddington to Reading, alight, and drive another train back again...so I would say TS2021 covers this route much better and gives more playability and longevity. This is on top of the above points about all the other locos you can add to the route and their authenticity.

• Like Like x 1
  15. theorganist

I would love to see the JT version backdated. Driving a Hydraulic from Paddington to Bristol or Cardiff in realistic surroundings would be great.

• Like Like x 2
  16. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I actually bought the pack, 52 is fun so is the 101. With some mods on you can remove the overhead cables, wooden sleepers, signs and Posters and now that I figured it out, lol you can have the 101 in the correct livery. Is it perfect, no, I'm sure there are a few things wrong. Does it make the pack more in keeping with the Era? Yes I think so. Plus I have the RailDriver so it made sense.

I only buy England/Wales routes but do I agree with theorganist, absolutely. If it were not for the mods or the RailDriver I wouldn't come anywhere near it. I also have got TS and I can remember playing Paddington to Bristol, it was good imo only for that to be in TSW2. I still can't work out why they stopped at Reading especially after saying long routes are not a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  17. theorganist

If you choose the class 101 in blue modification does it ensure only those show up in timetable mode? Also, can you choose which layers appear in timetable mode, I don't really want to see a class 45 appearing as their appearances at Paddington would have been vanishingly rare?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Warspite

My first visits to the GW mainline were in 1975 and 1976 when the Westerns were becoming quite rare although still seen on some of the Paddington-Plymouth/Penzance trains. I can't speak for the early 1970s, but the only 'Peak' I ever saw on those visits was 46024 at Reading on a down freight with carflats carrying Ford cars. However, in 1975, I did see a pair of class 20s (20148 & 20194) arrive at Reading from the Didcot direction on a hopper train which shows you anything is possible!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Warspite

So, is there any way of stopping class 45s from appearing on AI services?

20. dhekelian

Yes I think it is timetable only. Not sure about layers though.

21. theorganist

I have seen a record somewhere of a class 45 ending up at Paddington, so it happened but very rare. Laira had an allocation of class 46's so their appearance probably wouldn't have been quite so unusual although certainly not common.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

Don't play TSW2 with GW, it's absolutely horrendous TAA lets it down. Literally cannot look at a train from the outside when stationary, it goes completely shimmery and awful. Cannot recommend any TSW2 DLC for even the game at this point.

23. dhekelian

It all depends on what you are playing the game on and with the PC there are lots of different combinations of hardware that can also effect performance. This can affect a few routes or many routes. There are also many help threads on these forums to help with the engine.ini file.

24. ArtFart

ArtFart New Member

I have tried everything, my PC runs the game flawlessly and the game looks amazing in motion but as soon as you stop the entire TAA freaks out and the shimmering starts, this is worse on the GWE lines with any mission. It isn't as bad in other areas.