Knock, Knock, Is Anyone There?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The problem is that he roadmap was never intended to deflect genuine questions about what's on the table, but to stop the hundreds of "when will x happen" questions, but the community (or certain people on streams at least) seem obligated to ask those same questions at every opportunity.
    Admittedly I don't see anywhere that it's written down about release schedules, update schedules or what fixes have been address but not released which may stop a few more of such queries, but then that's up to DTG (nudge nudge)

• Like Like x 3
  2. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

How can anyone complain about communication?

Isnt there two members of staff at least 3 days a week for a couple of hours playing the game live for everyone to watch?

How much more available do they need to be? I guess you might want them to come around to your house and turn the console on for you? But social distancing probably hinders that idea.

I am assuming the biggest problem will be that we are getting a flurry of releases in the next few months and then they start again on the production cycle again, so we will be all rabid dogs running on speculation steam fumes by the time the next cycle starts?

Personally I think there is good communication. But maybe a little more time needs to be spent in the Technical forum at least acknowledging that someone has raised a query? I know there is "raise a thingy method" but surely an conversation around the queries would be good.

I dont watch the streams as I have other things to do in the evenings like sleep, but can someone tell me, is that where the discussion happen off board?

D

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. ARuscoe

What people seem to want is:
    • They post a question
    • Someone from DTG comes on and answers that specific question
    • If something needs fixing it will be commented on in the next roadmap stream and Adam's team will work on it (within hours)
    • The fix is released and no other issues are ever found ever again, ever
    If that's not what they get then "there's no communication"

Of course, that's not reality, but some people don't want reality, they want what they want

• Like Like x 15
  4. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Person A: X is the biggest problem with the game, and the whole community agrees with me!
    DTG: You’re right, we’ll stop work on everything else, and redo the whole X system.

Person B: DTG is a terrible company, they have no clue how to do anything right!
    DTG: You’re right, we’ll shutdown immediately.

Person C: I like TSW 2! Thanks for making an enjoyable game!
    DTG: You’re... wait, what?

• Like Like x 7
  5. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Hyperbole, but yes. While it ain't formal complaint (in legalese), people expect some kind of feedback and hopefully resolution.

The realities of a TS player:

CM 1: Please, tell me issues.
    Folks: We have these issues. Some of these are years old.
    CM 1: Thanks! It's a great collection of several hundred posts, your efforts are appreciated!
    Folks: It's been a month, any news?
    Folks: It's been two month, do you have a roadmap maybe?
    Folks: It's been half a year, hopefully with the next TS...
    Folks: It's been 3 years, nothing happened :(

CM 2: Greetings! Please tell me issues.
    Folks: Welcome! Happy to have you. Do you know about thread 1?
    CM 2: Oh wow, thank you. I'll look into it.
    Folks: It's been a month, any news?

Me: Hey, I have this issue.
    CM: Can you please provide info?
    Me: Here you go, screenshot, repro steps, video. Thanks for looking into it!
    Me: It's been a month, have you got it?
    Me: It's been a quarter :(

Me: Hey, I have this issue. Let me be proactive, here are screenshots, here are retro steps, here is the expected functionality. It was still good X months ago.
    Me: Hey, it's been a month. Anyone alive? :)

• Like Like x 9
  6. ARuscoe

TS or TSW? Unfortunately they're different teams and you get very different actions and reactions from them, such as I don't remember a route being announced one week, premiered the next Wednesday and released on the Thursday in TSW (which is what's happened with the Brum X-City line in the last week)

7. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

TS :)

Optimist version: Matt has been a TS streamer for years and he is well aware of every aspect, the good and the bad. Being the Senior Producer with TSW he does everything he can to ensure that the TSW team provides optimal experience for the players. Obviously he can't speak for others nor wants drama or politics, but he might actually act on this thread, casually talking with their leads, giving advice, showing this thread to them or others with influence, what have you. Hints and nudges.

Pessimist version: It's DTG, the same company. See, TSW (1) is abandoned already. The teams have the same principles and therefore TSW players can expect the same experience. You shall see and I shall tell you, I told you so.

As one of my colleagues summarized, I'm a type of person that loves to point out issues with unending hope that they get resolved.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The TGV thread in a nutshell...

9. ARuscoe

I don't see an issue with this, any more than any other "gaming series" or software that gets revised "abandons old versions"
    Is a company obliged to maintain it's out of date software forever? Nope...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The only thing that was abandoned was NEC and associated loco DLCs.

11. ARuscoe

Nope, any TSW1 content will not be reviewed, updated or renewed.
    Preserved collection content is TSW2

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm not getting updates for Windows 95 either.....

• Like Like x 4
  13. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

To play devils advocate, Microsoft generally don't stop updating a product as soon as a new one is released. They normally leave it a couple of years!

14. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Possibly related to Microsoft being responsible for millions of PC's around the world and the general security of the Internet which would collapse if there were millions of vulnerable PC's on said internet.

• Like Like x 8
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Dry! :D
    Well played sir!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

No, sorry, only NEC and the associated locos have been discontinued. Why would you buy lots of DLC up until summer 2020 and then never buy anything ever again? You get lots of new stuff in TSW2 you aren't paying again for the same thing at all. And once you buy one base version of TSW2 for a better value than a single DLC for TSW. You also get all the updates to the TSW era content which has been put into TSW2. So it all continues, but not NEC.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah, such as that Metro in China that had its signalling go down when Adobe revoked support for Flash. (how that happened I don't know)

18. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I thought they moved Colonel Failure out of his role due to him getting beat by Nat in that challenge they did, was that not so?

I find it troubling that JD is not being brought into question, I'm not not talking about his inexperience with trains I'm talking about his bold admission on his first appearance. I thought these types were kept silenced in the main.

I'm talking about his football team admission who he supports, Tot........, no I can't say it. Why did he admit to it? Things like this he should of kept to himself and maybe seek treatment for. I'm disappointed DTG for stooping so low and hopes he gets to be put on the Road Map for reprograming!

It would also be nice to see new faces on the streams, third party developers ETC. That stream with the real life train guard was brilliant imo. I'm not into TS1 but the stream was done well and interesting throughout but I would of loved to know what his work mates thought of him and the game.

Couldn't this be done in TSW2? Would be awesome. Talking about the 'live' streams, I cannot watch them live (family) but watch them later on youtube (insomnia) on the TV. Has anyone else noticed who watches this way that the audio is out of sync on most of them, then can turn their mugs off which helps but can it be looked at? And could the first 9 mins or so be removed as it is just a static screen.

Other than that I have also seen less communication lately but overall I think DTG are pretty good at communicating with the public if you want to see a bad company with communication look at EA. DTG are light years from them. When there is more communication from the Devs on the forums I find there is less conspiracies about, or is there? hmmmmm? If I had one critism of DTG though is that they should think again on Colonel Failures role, especially on the streams.

I can't imagine anyone they have brought in doing a job in questioning DTG than he does and i'm not his biggest fan!

19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

JD is A-OK in my book- he's not a New York Yankees fan!