Tees Valley Line - Uk Flag Missing

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cottonmouth, Mar 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

Hi, Just got the TVL and noticed that this has not been allocated the UK Flag. Is this just me on my system or is on others?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

It's everyone. The flag will be added the next time TVL is updated.

3. Cottonmouth

4. Gav

Gav Active Member

Same for me too, also Rapid Transit doesn't have the German flag, do you have Rapid Transit route? are you missing the German flag on that also?. All the flags are there are mine except Tees Valley Line and Rapid Transit, its so random and weird why just those 2

5. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

It’s the same for everyone...

And it’s killing my OCD ;)

6. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

UK flag? The Union Flag represents Great Britain and Northern Ireland not the UK!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cottonmouth

Oh dear - Union Flag then

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Union Jack :D

union flag is when there is a strike :o

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually Cottonmouth is correct. It's only a Union Jack when flown from the jackstaff of a Royal Navy ship.

• Like Like x 2
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Same difference. In full, it is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

11. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

We would never refer it as or call the flag the UK flag. It would be the British Flag or incorrectly, although used in parlance, the Union Jack.

12. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

They will add the flags when the routes get updated

13. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

That's a common myth.

"It is sometimes claimed that the Union Flag should be described as the Union Jack only when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From its earliest days, the Admiralty often referred to the flag – however it was used – as the Union Jack. In 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that either name could be used officially. And in 1908 the UK Parliament approved this verdict, stating that ‘the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag’."

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

Is this a forum for train sim or flags discussion? :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Normally we wouldn’t as most people living in it don’t learn the full name for this country until long after they have been calling it Britain, so UK flag sounds a bit odd to them. But it is the national flag of the United Kingdom so if someone calls it the UK flag they are as correct as anyone calling it the union flag or the union jack or the British flag. They are all correct. Most Brits wouldn’t know which way up to hang it if you gave them one and they weren’t allowed to look it up, and there will be many of them that would be very surprised to discover there is a wrong way.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

I replied to another post about the flag somewhere in these here forums. The idea that it's only the Union Jack when flown from the jackstaff (or even only when flown at sea) is a popular idea, but it is entirely incorrect. The name Union Jack in itself predates the tradition of flying it from a jackstaff by almost 200 years.

The 'jack' in the name has its origins in its use as a jack flag, which was a reference to its size and not the position from which it was flown. When it was known as the King's Jack, His Majesty's Jack and then the Union Jack, ships were still tooling around with bowsprits and figureheads, with the jacks being flown from a small mast on bowsprit itself and later, from the staysails between the bowsprit and the foremast heads. Flying the Union Jack from a jackstaff didn't become a thing until after the Ensign became the national distinguisher for the Royal Navy, with the jackstaff being brought into common usage specifically for the purpose of flying the Union Jack. By this point though, the Union Jack had been the well established and official name used by the Royal Navy for the flag for many, many years. In short, the jackstaff was brought into popular use to fly a jack flag and not, as many seem to incorrectly think, the namesake for flag from its positioning on the jackstaff.

By the turn of the 20th century, the Royal Navy were the long standing, undisputed champions of the seas and with the British Empire being what it was (i.e, massive), the flag was so well known across the entire globe that a proposal was made by the Admiralty that it be officially known as the Union Jack, whether flown on land or sea. The idea and adoption of using the Union Jack as the national flag's official name was approved by Parliament in 1908.

The idea that it may be called the Union Flag on land is not incorrect, but calling it the Union Jack when flown on land OR sea is entirely proper too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

LOL! They’d better wait until they update the flags ( Some of mine are missing as well btw ) because the way things are going the Union Jack is gonna be abandoned and replace with flags from the newly independent nations that were formally members of the UK.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Reeeeee my OCD!!!!!!

19. tomriddiough2011

tomriddiough2011 New Member

Bit late, but can we PLEASE stop nattering on about flags?

What topic is this?

I would like you to think about that question.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

We did. In March.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.