PlayStation As A Newbie What Is The Best Thing You Have Learned About Trains / Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Mar 21, 2021.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

For me it’s slowly learning what all the locomotives and rolling stock are actually called as I’m playing the game. Especially on the UK routes. For years I’ve had a passing interest in trains here in the UK but I’ve always recognised them purely by their looks, now I’m slowly able to put names to their faces. My favourite train the 101 DMU I never knew it was called that until I started to play TSW.I knew it was a DMU but I affectionately always referred to it as a Dummy which is quite apt for me with regards to my railway knowledge tbh. Equally I always knew the Class 40/45 Blu locos on Trans Pennine as an Old English loco, I also didn’t know there was more than one variation of it.

It just goes to show your never too old to learn.

You?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. randomperson#5895

randomperson#5895 New Member

Personally I have enjoyed learning all the safety systems especially the ones in other countries, I knew nothing about Sifa/PZB/LZB until I played TSW and now if I ever went to Germany I think I could recognize all the different sounds and what they mean.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shhweeet#4292

I agree. Also it’s interesting for me learning how to drive the UK locomotives I’ve took a casual interest in over the years. I never realised driving the UK trains especially from a few decades back was as complicated as it is.

4. steven_glaves

steven_glaves New Member

I've learnt so much about trains I wouldn't even know where to start! I've always quite liked trains (the most relaxing way to travel), but never really had an interest in them as such, and I only got this game as something to do during the covid lockdown (I normally play RPGs like Skyrim, The Witcher etc., but wanted something more relaxing). I think for me, the most interesting thing I've learnt is how different trains are in other countries (outside UK); I especially like the German trains. Also, I've learnt just how much 'better' eletric trains are compared to diesel electric; they feel so much more responsive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I’ve learnt that 3rd party developers existed - but random but I thought that it would only ever be dtg that developed routes and locos

6. shhweeet#4292

Very true but nowhere near as much fun to drive or listen to under load as the British Rail 70s / 80s diesels are on Trans Pennine etc. I’ve zero interest in these new fangled electric motor cars either that we are all getting foisted on us in 2030 here in the UK. ( That’s the year I’m giving up driving and I’m just going to use the bus and train ) Give me good old fossil fuel and a manual gear box any day of the week leaving aside the environment arguments of course.