Great Western Express Branches - Route Extension

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LucasLCC, Mar 21, 2021.

1. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

There isn't a roadmap stream gone by where Sam states "there are no plans for extensions at present", however this doesn't have to always be the case, and hopefully this proposal will encourage DTG to look into one.

Great Western Express is an obviously popular route, being part of the core package for a number of years. Even though it's one of the earlier routes, it still is one of the best made routes. An expansion for this route is likely to be of interest to a significant proportion of players.

Stock:

For this proposal to work, a 165 will need to be produced. At the very least a 2 car version will be needed, however a 3 car version will be beneficial. Whilst there are some differences between a 165 and a 166, this should represent less work than starting a new unit from scratch.

Greenford Branch:

The Greenford branch leaves the Great Western Mainline just after West Ealing, and is a very short line of just 2 miles and 40 chains. The image below shows the stops on this line:

upload_2021-3-21_14-38-9.png
    Currently the branch is served by a West Ealing to Greenford shuttle, however in the year GWE is set these services start and end at Paddington. As these services are already in the game, it would be a case of making them run through to Greenford.

An service from Paddington to Greenford takes just over 20 minutes, a round trip takes around 50 minutes.

Windsor Branch:

The Windsor branch is a very short branch running from Slough to Windsor being 2 miles and 63 chains. Operationally very simple, a shuttle runs between Slough and Windsor every 20 minutes.

With a round trip taking just 20 minutes, this is a perfect route if you're tight on time:

upload_2021-3-21_14-44-6.png

Marlow Branch:

My personal favourite of the branches is the Marlow Branch. This charming branch goes through some lovely countryside and follows the Thames between Bourne End and Marlow. With a length of 7 miles and 9 chains, this is the longest but also the most complicated of the branches.

Leaving Maidenhead, it's a pretty simple run through to Bourne End, where the train then reverses and heads to Marlow. The section between Bourne End and Marlow has several speed restrictions for level crossings which means there's a constant need to adjust your speed.

Of interest is the fact the route uses a token between Maidenhead and Bourne End and a staff between Bourne End. Both of these systems are used to ensure only one train is in the section at a time. The points at Bourne End are also controlled by the guard. Whilst this is a distant dream, it would be really interesting if all of this was simulated...

During the peaks the service is split into two shuttles. One shuttle runs Marlow - Bourne End and the other runs Bourne End to Maidenhead. This further adds variety to the branch.

upload_2021-3-21_14-49-39.png

Henley Branch:

The final branch covers the 4 miles 47 chains between Twyford and Henley. This line is a simple out and back line, although has some nice views along the way.

Like with the Windsor branch, a single shuttle runs all day. Although this time it is a half hourly frequency.

upload_2021-3-21_14-51-15.png

Hope this suggestion is of interest to others...

• Like Like x 12
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Plus it would make GWE less a case of "A to B" more "A to B or C or D or E" gives a lot more variety. Even if this was a extra £20/£25 I would take it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LucasLCC

Oxford isn't entirely unrealistic, but it doesn't present the player with that much additional variety.

For me variety is the most important thing, hence this suggestion. Having four almost mini routes would easily be worth £20-25 to me too.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Do not forget the freight branches to Brentford Waste Terminal and Thorney Mill/Colnbrook. Also add the Class 180 Adalente units. Would be well worth another £25 leaving my account.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LucasLCC

The Class 180, whilst one of my favourite units, would be an unlikely addition. They were never in GWR colours (other than one or two coaches that was vinyled especially for the OOC open day), and I can't imagine First Group would licence anything in FGW colours.

If a 180 was to happen, it would be better as a standard loco DLC as opposed to a route expansion.

As for the freight branches, I agree they'd all be interesting. The issue is that they see a very limited service it might be more effort than it's worth. That said, variety is the spice of life!

6. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

You are correct that only 1 Class 180 wore GWR colours for OOC111. Surely something could be worked out. As for the branches to Brentford and Colnbrook, perhaps they could lay the ground work for vintage routes to Brentford Dock, Staines West and Uxbridge Vine Street which would make great future additions as none of them exist today. In this way, it would be time well spent as we so far have nothing route wise predating 1984. Lastly, if working on the other branches, they could also have their older versions built in parallel to also save on time and resources.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree with the proposal. Speaking of Class 165 it's identical to Class 166 DMU and can be coupled to each other just like how these Branches operate right now unless Electrified. If they got electrified then Class 387 will be needed.

8. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

Oxford is a Possibility

9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Bristol maybe a bit much and stopping at Swindon would be little better than Reading. However Oxford would encompass one of the main Thames Valley service groups. Would also considerably expand the freight possibilities - Hinksey Yard at Oxford, Didcot Yard plus all the intermodal traffic passing through to/from Southampton at regular intervals during the day. Further scope for a Cross Country Class 220/221 Voyager add on to bring further variety between Oxford and Reading.

Edit: Oh and Didcot Railway Centre, too.

10. Vanhalen1

Vanhalen1 Member

That’s a good idea, would love these branches with a class 121 DMU in BR blue and NSE livery’s as options.

11. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

GWE is definitely one of DTGs highlights its one of the oldest and best routes and its always been a core and popular route but I do not feel its given the justice it deserves there is so much more to the route than what is included in TSW, I know Sam says time and time again on stream there are no plans for route extensions but I think DTG should experiment with one and see how it goes down with the community. I think GWE would be the perfect candidate for an extension.

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I always seem to be the bearer of bad news when it comes to GWE extensions, but I’ll post this again for those that don’t know.

GWE as it is made in TSW has no capacity to add any more services to it. In fact on console it still cannot handle the current timetable fully and so has a reduced timetable. This is why there has never been anything added to it.

Therefore it isn’t going to get any extensions as it is not technically possible to add any services that use them. It is not a case of demand for it or a desire to do it, it just simply isn’t possible with the way the route was built.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LucasLCC

Interestingly my base Xbox can quite happily run the full timetable by use of the journey mode trick.

However the "core optimisation" should help solve this problem regardless.

14. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

DTG are starting to talk about the word branch lines now...if you look at Clinchfield.

So there is hope for the new projects that branchline adventures maybe become a reality? Even if that boat has sailed for GWE?

D

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If it ever does get to the point where consoles can handle the full timetable (with the correct length trains) it is unlikely to ever increase to the point where more services can be added. There would also be the situation of mixing old tech with new tech in the way the different parts of the route are made, which are probably not easily made compatible.

The fact that GWE is a very popular route and DTG showing that the only way to release a DLC for it is to have a completely new (and equally sparse) timetable shows the limitations off quite well. There is clearly a demand for more content for GWE and a desire to provide it but the Diesel Legends pack has been the only way to do this so far.

I think there would be a very high uptake on an extension, either in main line route length or a branch line one, but it would need extensive extra traffic adding and that is the main sticking point, and as such I believe GWE is one of the least likely routes to get an extension any time soon. As the core tech evolves, the gap between how GWE was built and how current routes are built also gets wider. And as has been discussed in threads for a more modern version of the route, a complete rebuild is probably the only way it can be achieved and it may be too soon for that, and less desirable from DTG’s view.

• Like Like x 2
  16. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Branch lines are my favourite, partly why east coastway is my favourite tsw route. I would love to see the branch lines on this route, but lots of optimisation would be needed.