Iow's Future.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Mar 20, 2021.

?
  1. Yes - It will finally make it worth it

25.0%
  2. Yes - but do a scenery upgrade

8.3%
  3. Yes - I would buy it if it had more

16.7%
  4. No - Still not worth it

4.2%
  5. No - Other

37.5%
  6. Yes - Now you've fixed the suggestion maybe

8.3%
  7. No - Still no.

8.3%
  8. (Don't vote this but I want to let you know you can change votes)

4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Thanks you Stujoy for making the analysis, which in reflection I agree with.
    Rather than upgrading IoW (which I though was 25 like any other route, sorry about that)
    Abandon the old one, make a new one, a better one.
    So what would the NewIoW / IoW2 be made up of?
    Island Line - Could be the same as it is (NSE) with the 483 or modern era with the 484 (SWR)
    Steam Railway - Not much to note here
    Scenery Upgrade - The scenery on Isle of Wight is... Questionable...
    Potential Loco DLC's - If it's set In the NSE era again, the 485 & 486 (as suggested by OldVern below) could fit. As for modern none fit. Also there is potential for a steam loco too.
    Fixed Era - Removes the era mix that feels like they painted the train NSE for a heritage Day.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Personally I knew what I was getting when I brought it. The IOW is already cheaper than most routes. Any of the above are never going to be free additions, and also bear in mind, IOW was developed by Rivet Games and not DTG, so as a 3rd party they are less likely to be able to add anything extra to it (certainly for free).

I have already had many happy hours from the IOW DLC and consider it value for money for the return I have got from it.

It is much more likely that if it came, the IOW steam railway would simply be a separate route.

(I am aware as I have over 600 hours of game time across multiple DLC then my views may not match everyones - but when I look at what I have paid for that return, for me it gives value (Including the IOW))

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The 484 would require the platforms etc to be remodelled as the floor is a different height than that of the 483, as such I don’t think we’ll see the 484 in game as you could only use the 483 or the 484 separately - not at the same time.

If you don’t want to pay full price for the route, wait until it’s discounted.

4. trainsimplayer

Yeah it's almost like the 484s never worked alongside the 483.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

We all know that the Isle of Wight has a Steam Heritage Railway, it's even referenced in an advertisement in the carriages of the Class 483. If we didn’t know before, we do now. Cheers.

And, as we also all know, Dovetail are working on Steam. This is correct.

Now Isle of Wight is immensely overpriced for a 8½ mile route with one train. Opinion, not fact. I’ve found it to be very good value, which is also an opinion but a valid one. It’s a good route.

So, when Steam is released, I think IoW should receive a mass overhaul. Okay, let’s see what you suggest.

• Add The IoW Steam Railway, with the associated locos. Also adds purpose to Smallbrook Jct. So you want a route extension? That will be another £20 probably, which is about what IOW cost and you are likely to get only one steam loco with the extension.

• Add the Class 484 (for free, as we payed £25 for something worth probably around £10) Nobody paid £25, it was £19.99 and it’s worth more than £10. Remember, a loco DLC with no route costs £11.99.

• Use the Alternate Timetables Feature. A timetable for the 483 (set in the NSE era) and one for the 484 (modern era) Oooh, that would be a good idea but the route isn’t compatible with the 484, which would cost £11.99 on it’s own remember. There would need to be route modifications.

• when driving the 484 timetable ONLY have the upgraded line, i.e. after the 2021 modernisation A different version of the route would be needed as stated above, and that can’t be done with just a second timetable. So instead of an extension what you really need is a new version of the route, compatible with the 484 and including the steam heritage railway and one steam train and a 484. That’s doable and will cost you £25. More steam trains will cost £11.99 each as loco DLC. It’s adding up this idea of yours.

The reason for all this? Isle of Wight is way overpriced in its current state, add all this and it makes it worth it. Opinion, not fact. You would have to pay again for all of these extras, because Rivet’s employees do need to eat, so they’ll need paying for doing all this extra work. It’s likely to get very expensive. For a new version of the route and a loco DLC we are up to £37 and it will still only be a short route, even with the steam railway.

And I repeat MAKE THE 484 FREE SO THE ROUTE BECOMES VALUE FOR MONEY. Repeat it as much as you like, it ain’t gonna happen. You get nothing for free in this life.

• Like Like x 5
  6. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

The route was not £25 it was about £18 and Personally A lot better than what it was when it was released, So be grateful for what you've got and it is a lot better than nothing

• Like Like x 1
  7. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Technically they didn’t!

8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

They didn’t. The route isn’t compatible for both.

9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It would be easier to add the Class 485 and Class 486 which were the original recycled Underground "Standard" tube stock domiciled on the line.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Classes_485_and_486

As regards steam traction, well it's only a fantasy but I would love to see the IOW network as it was in its heyday with all the railway lines open!

10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

To make it worth playing add in the steam Railway and modify the platforms to suit the class 484 which is actually in London Underground district line train modified to use network rail tracks with AWS & TPWS. If you are wondering what sound it makes in the cab it's a ping.

11. trainsimplayer

UPDATE: I have completely reworked the suggestion, the main basis of my suggestion was the overpriced way it is (as I thought it was £25, which admittedly was rather stupid and on reflection I feel like an idiot) and made it more, and more realistic

12. trainsimplayer

Would people who owned the original Isle of Wight need to buy this?
    Depends.

13. Vanhalen1

Vanhalen1 Member

I would love to see the Isle Of Wight steam railway on TSW2, in the short term you could create a BR class 03 and 05 for the railway in the short term and when the time is right with Dove T Games create the steam locomotives for this line, although I must confess when we will steam locomotive on TSW2 is another matter.

14. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

you could leave the 03s in as they were on the island when the 483s were in NSE livery

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Honestly I see Rivet doing the steam railway, I doubt the ads are purely there for show. With that said I doubt it's gonna be a standalone route with Isle of Wight, I think it will be a extension. They aren't DTG after all, they're not necessarily gonna be as opposed to the idea as DTG are. And keep in mind if you include the original route with it the people who bought the original aren't necessarily gonna be happy needing to buy content they own again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

It would be great to see the steam train in the route. It could be a loco DLC that opens up a tiny bit of tracks. Perhaps another loco extension priced around $20.

• Like Like x 1