Hint Box

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by russianchip, Mar 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. russianchip

russianchip Guest

Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Would it be possible to to get a hint box added if a player is taking too long to complete a task?

E.g I was playing Aggregate Industries scenario and had to change ends on the Class 66 to move to refuel, it took about 30 minutes to get it moving and I only did this by ramping the power to notch 8. I'm not sure if I had brakes on or was missing something I should do when changing ends but with no guidance I was struggling. A hint or guidance box that appears after 3 or 4 minutes of a player pressing every button and switch might be helpful to some.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. naturalhighNZ

naturalhighNZ Member

Not related to the suggestion but if anyone knows what we were doing wrong switching train ends that'd be great. I had the same problem and ended up going on inn reverse, which is made hard by that fact that I can't even poke my head out the window....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jen8Bri

Jen8Bri New Member

I find it handy to go to the outside rear camera and turn it around if I've gotta reverse. Clicking the right stick allows you to change cams and the Y button switches between camera operations and train operations

4. russianchip

russianchip Guest

Thanks, I've run the scenario again and changed camera to look out the window which saved me quite a bit of time!

5. Greaseball the Diesel

Greaseball the Diesel New Member

Have you guys tried shutting down one cab before moving to the other? That might help?

6. Gamborg

Gamborg Active Member

Make sure you have released the direct brake in the cab you're switching away from. The automatic brake can be controlled from both cabs but the direct brake must be released from the cab it was applied in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. naturalhighNZ

naturalhighNZ Member

Yep that was the problem

8. Gamborg

Gamborg Active Member

I've noticed that on the Class 66 the active brake will often switch to Direct Brake if you get out of the seat to do something and then sit back down. So if you've just used the Auto Brake to stop the train and get out of your seat to, say flip a switch at a crossover, it's likely that your active brake will now be the Direct Brake when you sit down again and you may apply it accidentally. So keep an eye on the brake icon in the HUD and watch it change when you press 'X' on your controller in the Class 66.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GMAN001

GMAN001 Member

A hint box is a brilliant idea. This is something I want implemented as well, I was actually gonna post this suggestion but you beat me to it :)

An example of why this should be included is as follows: I recently played a class 66 'shed' scenario. As I was coming up to a red signal, I wasn't sure I was going to make the stop in time. So I pressed the 'emergency button' on the bottom left of the dash in the hopes of bringing the train to a sudden stop. It stopped, but then when I tried to start moving the train again by releasing the brakes and applying the throttle, it didn't move. The amps were going up, but the train was frozen in place. So I released both the direct brake, automatic brake, set the reverser to neutral, shut down the engine, restarted it (this took a while to restart, don't know what I did wrong there either) and so on and so on. I basically tried everything to get the train moving again.

I was getting desperate, so I looked upwards and noticed a bunch of buttons up there. I noticed one at the top left which from memory was something along the lines of 'train stop' button. I pressed it, applied the throttle and the train started moving ...

By implementing a 'hint' feature, the game could have told me to press such button earlier on. Because as it stood, I spent 15 minutes solid trying to get the train moving (I came close to restarting the whole scenario actually).