Diesel Legends Great Western Pack First Impression

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jpantera, Mar 11, 2021.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have been searching out WTT's as I like using them when making scenarios for TS1 and I now have quite a collection, they are fascinating to read as well. However I haven't found many free online ones, there are a couple of sites. Michael Clemens has quite a collection of Western Region steam period and there is the Network Rail archive which starts around 2009.

I haven't found any free ones covering the BR period even when searching. Most of mine have come from ebay or transport book sellers.

I know the national archives have large collection, but they charge if you want a copy of one.

I would be very interested to know of a source of BR period timetables.

2. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Preserved railway bookstalls are probably the best source with railways in the area your looking for being strongest- ie East Lancs railway for North West England. Obv at present with Covid restrictions this isnt an option but once we re open the country then its a good combination of a day out and some purchases of that nature.

• Like Like x 1
  3. theorganist

I have found a couple at the Erlestoke Manor fund shop at Bewdley on the Severn Valley railway thinking about it. I intend to have a trip there once we are all released back into the wild!

• Like Like x 1
  4. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Carnforth bookshop used to have drawers full of old WTTs and other ephemerides, plus many railway books.
    Well worth a look, I spent many a happy hour browsing the contents of that shop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. theorganist

Thanks for that. I shall look at having a trip up there in the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

So to find out.
    I didn't take this DLC but I would still like to do it but without installing the mods to make the line older, I want to keep my game "clean".

Those who have not installed a mod to have "the atmosphere" are you satisfied with the DLC or not?

Ha I specify that I have all the DLC from DTG (and Rivet) it only misses me the one so if I take it apart from the service I know that I do not gain anything else.

Is there a real Plus?
    For the price it will be worth it even if I have the locomotives?

Thank you in advance for your response.

• Like Like x 1
  7. atpyatt

atpyatt Well-Known Member

There's no reason not to install TSW mods you know, your original files always remain unaltered and you can always get back to a clean state by deleting any packages added to the DLC folder. Everything is kept self contained in package files, there is no mixing.

I know where you're coming from, I used to install mods for Train Simulator and it could be a nightmare, something would break your install and if you'd forgotten to take a copy of the original state, oh dear. However it's impossible to get into that state with TSW. Your original files are always kept clean.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

I understand but I don't want a mod, it's a personal matter.
    I create my own, I donate my skins but I never download those of others.
    I've always done it like that, yes I deprive myself but that's okay.
    So my question remains unanswered, those who do not have a mod please.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm satisfied with it, I bought it just to drive the Class 52 up and down. It lets me do that, I've probably spend over 20 hours on it now and I don't find any issues with immersion. BUT, I don't know the real line that well as some others clearly do. For me, I wanted to drive the big blue train and while I'm doing that other blue trains are going up and down. Not realistic at all, but perfectly enjoyable.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And this is what a fair few people will get from it. Enjoyable enough unless you're bothered by a lot of "clutter" which wouldn't have been there 50 years ago

11. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Authenticity versus gameplay.
    That's always going to be individual preference.

Personally I don't mind rattling past modern excavators in my 101.

• Like Like x 2
  12. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I have to admit its Australian ones I've been finding online. I've not looked for BR timetables. I do also have quite a few paper ones from rail mates. When they get replaced I've got a few contacts who get them to me. I get issued them for the preserved railway I operate on :).

Old book shops and rail ephemera shops can certainly be good sources. I don't see many of them on ebay here because the rail companies get them taken down.

Paul

13. theorganist

Ah okay, I have seen some Australian ones on UK ebay.

It may be different with Australian railways but I would be surprised if UK companies would stop anyone selling an old WTT. You can download ones from the Network Rail archive which go up to around 2018 I think.

• Like Like x 1
  14. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

DTG Claim the brakes are fixed in the 101 so I have repeated my 101 Stopping Tests 3 car DMU

Methodology:
    Flat Ground
    Same weather (summer, all sliders at left)
    Same consist (3 car DMU) - I had to uncouple cars in GWS to do this :)
    Same time (as near to 7am as possible with available services)

Reach the required speed on level ground then coast for 5 seconds then fully apply the brake starting from fully released (in lap position) timing how long to stop in seconds using a stopwatch from moving the handle to showing 0 on the HUD. Brakes applied using Raildriver so move to full apply near enough to instant.

Tees Valley
    Speed Tees Valley GWS/Diesel Legends
    10mph 6.25 Was 7.6 After Fix 3.0
    30mph 16.03 Was 23.25 After Fix 12.99
    50mph 28.36 Was 42.3 After Fix 23.16

Now they're super aggressive! They're not at peel your face off the windscreen aggressive but they're quick! Much better.

Just an update that I ran one of the scenarios after work today and it really is so much more playable. I'm game to do decent speeds - it seems to accelerate a little faster too so I think that's been tweaked as well.

Paul

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

The freight has been added now as mentioned elsewhere. Also the 31 hauled rakes have a brake vehicle as per operating rules.

AI drivers now drive light locos in from the front from what I have seen.

Tail lamp issue is the only thing that I mentioned not been rectified.

After playing this add on a bit more I am glad that I purchased it.

It needs a bit more traffic tbh but I understand that not all systems could cope with a busier route.

I think giving us the ability to edit our own timetables is a must have going forwards for pretty much all route dlc in my eyes.

• Like Like x 2