Nothing To See Here

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr heff, Mar 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I told you there was nothing (this was originally a stupid post)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Which operator?

3. Mr heff

[CLASSIFIED]

4. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Is this a joke?
    If not, I would never mention this incident to anyone. let alone on a public forum.
    It will mean the instant dismissal of the driver, and as for you touching the controls.....what were you thinking!? Smh

• Like Like x 1
  5. formulabee#1362

Pre Covid, sounding the horn or letting someone to take a look around the cab was okay, under the supervision of the driver or guard. But with COVID and without the supervision of the driver + master key in, is a bit well... risky. I just hope the driver doesn’t get found out

• Like Like x 3
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

What route is this? If I need to guess the sister game TS21 Fife Circle Line or Northern Scotland routes. Me I've only been on NEC New York off-map segment that is New Brunswick to EWR Airport Railway Station and the in-game map section EWR Railway Station to NY Penn via Secaucus Junction & Newark Penn Station. If there was a Dovetail Games Employee with you they would have gotten in the Class 170 cab with you then take a picture of it. That is if the roadmap for Train Sim World 2 needed ScotRail. AWS acknowledge button on class 170 should make a pinging sound like the HST if ScotRail has one.

7. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I’m afraid you will find few willing to stroke your ego on here.
    It was great that she let you have a look in the cab but you completely abused her trust by playing with the controls.
    If she gets found out she will lose her job so I’d recommend deleting the post. The control part seems like a lie but it will still do her career damage.

It was a selfish act on your part and the reason most people don’t get to look in cabs anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr heff

People are misunderstanding, I asked to use the controls and was given permission. I wasn't thinking when I put this on the forum, I was just super happy, I wasn't looking for an ego stroke? The driver was fully aware of the consequences, that was clear to me.

9. Mr heff

The driver gave me permission to use the controls. I've removed most of the details, you're right I shouldn't put that on the forum, I was just ecstatic at the time. The driver was fully aware of the consequences, that was clear to me.

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m on the other side of a fence here but... If this story is 100% true then in the interests of all people who use the railways it would be best if the driver did lose her job. She does not appear to take her responsibilities seriously enough if she did what is reported here, which is to leave an unsecured train in the hands of a random unsupervised teenager. Only an idiot would do that. People’s lives could have been put in danger.

That’s assuming it is true. We don’t have any proof of anything one way or the other. I think we are either getting an embellished story or a really worrying one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mr heff

Yeah it ummm, the more I think about it, That's a very risky thing to do. Of course considering I know myself it seems less serious to me but yes I technically am a random teenager.

12. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

It’s a very bizarre situation because I’ve never really heard of anyone letting someone in the cab and leaving them alone. A more common violation is having someone unauthorised in a cab while the train is moving or letting someone unauthorised drive a train (usually a driver that doesn’t sign the traction rather than a random member of the public) but I don’t think I have ever heard a driver leaving their cab unattended with some random person.

People jumping to conclusions that this is sackable is frankly ridiculous. Least because we don’t know the full circumstances. When you mean the key was left in, was the cab actually active? Was the cab secured in anyway as per company instructions- e.g. depressing emergency plunger? Was the driver just outside the cab or did they leave you completely? I am not trying to excuse what the driver did but these are key questions if an investigation was to be carried out. (I don’t want answers to these questions Mr Heff).

There is virtually nothing I would say that is instantly sackable apart from drugs/alcohol. The 2 more common violations that I described above which are far more serious wouldn’t necessarily you get the sack. Even getting caught using your mobile phone won’t necessarily get you the sack. I want to be clear that I don’t condone any of these but I think some of you would be in for a real shock if you find out what drivers have done and got away with.There was something similar a couple of years ago on the RailForums and it was interesting to see people who were not drivers or didn’t work on the railway were all shocked and expressed outrage but all the drivers on the forum were defensive and adamant that there’s nothing to get worked up about. In this scenario, assuming the cab was active, the biggest risk of playing with the buttons would have been releasing doors at the wrong side. Other than that, the risk was minimal unless it was a ploy to hijack the train.

Nevertheless, I still think it’s a pretty cool story but maybe you should have waited a few years before sharing. You certainly didn’t do anything wrong so there’s no need to feel guilty.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mr heff

I believe that the driver was assessing my intention beforehand and after we had had a conversation, we discussed what I was not to do (they had realised I was competent at that point). I think that this was a nice thing to do for a railway enthusiast, that at the time was fully understood to be harmless. I'm not sure how to feel about the situation but I do appreciate you saying I did nothing wrong because I did discuss everything I intended to use and was given permission.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I know you play trains on your computer but don't kid yourself, you are not "competent".

If what you say is true, and the Scotrail driver actually discussed with you what you could/couldn't touch as they let you in the cab, then they shouldn't be doing the job.
    You say you were harmless, yet you went ahead and played with the controls as you described! You need to grow up and realise that by doing so, you put yourself and the driver in potential trouble. They have a mortgage and a family who depend on the job probably.

Olaf is correct in saying it is a bizarre situation, but the "not an issue" part has changed in recent times.

TBH, as a driver, I am gobsmacked. If I were you Mr heff, I'd keep it to myself, say no more and remember the time as a personal memory.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr heff

I was completely confident that it was safe, I know how the train works. You don't have to be an actual driver to know those things. But I do appreciate of course that I am not trained.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

No, but to touch the controls of a live service with passengers on board...you do. THAT is the point, and a good reason to leave it here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr heff

Will do.

18. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I have to say that there will always be a demand for keen individuals to apply for driving jobs. Just never come across as "that guy" who knows it all, be willing to learn some stuff, and you will go far. Don't forget to do your maths, physics and English homework though too ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mr heff

I definitely don't think I know it all! And thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

can we get this locked now?

• Like Like x 3
  21. formulabee#1362

Yes please

22. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Locked as the OP has removed their original post.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.