Class 108 Dmu

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Limeyfox, Mar 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Limeyfox

Limeyfox Well-Known Member

We’ve been reasonably well provided with a range of ‘heritage’ DMUs for the UK scene to date, with 101, 105, 111, 117 and 121s modelled and a high quality sound/physics upgrade available for all of the above from Armstrong Powerhouse.

However the glaring hole in the above list is the Class 108 ‘Derby Lightweight’ class, which were the most numerous and widespread type after the 101. If anything, the 108 were more widespread and due to their low-use of asbestos, lasted right up until the mid 1990s on rural and suburban routes.

The body shape is very distinctive, with two versions of the Derby cab end (headcode box either in the roof or below the cab windows) and deep ‘picture windows’ on a lightweight 57ft aluminium body and low-density seating layout. Sets were formed in either 2/3/4 car formations, with a large number of power-trailer 2-car units. Their operations were so widespread it is easier to list those lines they would not be found on at some point. There are also a significant number of preserved sets.

Liveries ranged from all of the early BR examples (lined green, blue(s), white) to the later blue/grey, and even Network SouthEast. The physics for a 4-speed diesel mechanical unit have long been available, and the engine/drivetrain would match the 101. The AP sound sets would also be perfectly viable as an upgrade. The cabview would be a direct copy of the 117 and passenger views are optional as usual. So the only work really required is the model shape itself. There are copious volumes of photographs of these units and probably drawings available from the Railcar Association.

In short - can we have one please? Even a simple 2-car would go a long way to appeasing the fans of the 1980s and 90s who are currently subbing 101s and 117s onto routes such as
    -North Wales Coast
    -South Wales Main Line
    -Liverpool-Manchester
    -Woodhead in Blue

Even Cross-City would be reasonable, as Tyseley depot were really scraping the barrel in the early-mid 90s awaiting the delayed 323 fleet, there were some really odd hybrid DMU formations covering X-City diagrams against the electric timings, which would add some challenge to timetabled scenarios.

Hopefully others would agree, this one would be an easy implement and good seller IMO.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

At last, someone after my own heart! I have long been bemoaning the lack of variety of first generation DMU's, including the class 108 for many years. They aren't headline grabbers unlike big powerful diesel locomotives even though they were the backbone of non electrified local, rural and cross country services for three decades! Often getting BR out of a hole when they introduced the, at first unreliable second generation DMU fleet. Rusty but Trusty I remember Rail magazine declaring them in 1988!

There are plenty of payware and indeed freeware routes where a class 108 would be very useful.

The routes based in the South West and South Wales would also have seen class 108's from the mid/late 1980's onwards. Landore, Canton, Bath Road and Laira all had them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Limeyfox

I very much like driving heritage DMUs, among other reasons because the big cab windows give excellent opportunity to enjoy the route scenery from the driving position. Nothing worse than driving cocooned in a Sprinter cab with a small rectangular window to view the route ahead. For this reason the Derby units are perfect because the windows were some of the biggest of all, and equally good was the view from the passenger seats behind the driver...

• Like Like x 1
  4. theorganist

I agree they are fun to drive and probably one of the most involving too.

Top five for me to add to the fleet would be classes 104,108,116,120,122.

Would love to see some of the smaller classes like the Gloucester RCW 100 or the Park Royal 103.

5. Limeyfox

The way I look at it, we desperately need a non-suburban type which isn’t a 101. The 117 is reasonably close to the 115/116 and Vulcan Productions already offer a 118 version of the 117. The 105 is pretty ‘niche’. The 121 and 122 were pretty much the same unit (just cab roof variation). Agree we need a 104 but that would need a good route such as Manchester-Buxton (now there’s a thought ). The 108 stands on its own as a real ‘utility class’ and would be immediately at home on various non-DTG routes such as Welsh Marches and Cornish Mainline, plus the DTG routes I mentioned. Would even work on WCML Over Shap!

6. theorganist

It depends what era and area you are modelling. And personally I don't want to substitute I would rather the real thing.

For example if you are on the Riviera in the 50's route, we have the diesel hydraulic pack yet no suitable DMU's for that period. A class 116, 120 or 122 would be suitable. Class 121's weren't based in the Plymouth or Exeter divisions so aren't suitable neither are the class 117's as they weren't. The 116 is quite different to the class 117 having a destination box where the headcode box was and not having a lavatory in the centre carriages.

Class 104's were used all over, Darlington had them so the ECML is suitable, Neville Hill had them so could have been seen on the Doncaster to York shuttle on the Peterborough to York route. And there were plenty in the north west not just the Buxton lines so backdated scenarios on the North Wales coast route would be suitable for Chester's allocation and the freeware South Lancashire and Cheshire route is crying out for DMU's and the class 104 and 108 would fit in there perfectly. Plus there were the ones allocated to Bletchley then Old Oak common for North London line area services.

I would like to see all of these and more, however I think the chances of anyone releasing any more first generation DMU's is extremely remote. AP aren't interested, I can't see DTG doing any. Shame IHH don't still make add-ons for TS as he would have knocked a few different classes up I suspect. If you have the old IHH class 107 it can resemble a class 108 by renumbering it. It is unobtainable now though. We need a diesel version of Caledonia works!

7. Limeyfox

I have the IHH 107 but sadly as the sounds are pretty indescribable it’s only good for static positioning IMO.

8. theorganist

I have replaced most of the DAV files with the DAV files from the RSC class 101, you have to rename them exactly as the file they have replaced. It isn't perfect but it is better, I have altered the proxyxml file to change various volumes and made the loops match the class 101. The only thing is I have tried getting the run sounds from the class 101 to work (the class 107 doesn't have them) but I cannot get them to sound, I have modified the proxyxml file to point to them but no joy.

• Like Like x 1