Obs Settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Expat16, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

I’m trying to record some of my TS 2021 game play using OBS but I just cannot get rid of the screen tearing.
    I use Nvidia Vsync and it looks great but when I look at the recorded game play it has bad tearing
    I’m using a 60hz screen and cap the game at 30fps and my looms super smooth when playing.

Thanks

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Turn off v-sync.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Try without v-sync... however... If you have a NVidia card, why not use Shadowplay? You already have it as part of the GeForce Experience. Nothing to do with your tearing problem, but Shadowplay is just way better for recording. If I was live steaming then sure.. OBS... but to just record... Shadowplay every time.

4. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a good (preferably free) screen recorder for a laptop?

I have OBS for recording on my PC (it can’t record a 4K screen, so I have to put TS at a lower resolution), but on my laptop, no joy. I get the famous black screen that is caused by laptop graphics cards.

Any suggestions welcome!

5. Pookeyhead

If you have a NVidia GPU, then Shadowplay. If you have a AMD GPU, then ReLive... both are part of the driver suite. I've never used ReLive as I've not had a Radeon GPU for a LONG time, but Shadowplay is part of the GeForce Experience package, which comes with NVidia drivers. It's free and you probably have it already (if you have a NVidia GPU) unless you let Windows take care of your drivers... in whch case, stop doing that... it always installs the wrong ones, or just the bear drivers with no additional support.

Does your laptop have a 4K screen? If not, why would you expect OBS to record in 4K?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  6. Pookeyhead

7. Pookeyhead

8. inversnecky

Thanks will check the GPU.

Laptop doesn’t have a 4K screen, just PC.

9. Pookeyhead

Sorry, I thought you were talking about your laptop.

Check your GPU... see what it is in device manager.

10. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

Thank for the replies, I’ll give shadowplay a try

11. Pookeyhead

It works great for me, and there appear to be no frame rate penalty whatsoever as far as I can tell. I don't have a particularly good good GPU either... I'm on a GTX980.

12. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

I did a quick test and Shadow play works well, I’ll have to see how it holds up on longer runs

13. Pookeyhead

It will happily record your gaming until you run out of hard drive space. If you have a slower system, it may be a good idea to go into the settings and make sure you reduce recording bitrate to less than 50mbit/sec, but other than that it's great. I've recorded hours of gaming. The other good thing with Shadowplay is that you can set it to be constantly recording the last few minutes of your gaming, so even if you have not actively told it to record, you will always have the last few minutes on record (you can set the time amount).

• Like Like x 1
  14. inversnecky

15. Pookeyhead

Shadowplay is part of the GeForce Experience, so yes, that looks correct. However, what I advise you do, just in case previously you have been letting Windows decide what drivers you have, is go here....

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Use the above link and not just searching Google for NVidia drivers. The above link allows you to choose between standard or DCH drivers, which are a pain in the ass, and sometimes don't install the Control Panel, and force you to get it from the Google Play store.. which then doesn't install it, and leaves you with no control panel on your right click context menu. Both drivers work perfectly fine as drivers however... I've just had issues with DCH drivers breaking the control panel.

Select your GPU... Operating system.. and select "Standard Drivers" and not "DCH" drivers (if you want). Click search... and download the latest drivers direct from NVidia. When you run the downloaded .exe you will get the option to install only the drivers, or the drivers and GeForce experience... choose the latter obviously. You can also select what parts of the package you install. Obviously the driver is essential... but make sure GeForce Experience is selected, along with PhysX. The Audio drivers are not essential as you're probably using standard AC97 audio drivers already. Also, select to do a clean install to remove the previous drivers first. Don't worry if your screen goes black now and then, or resizes etc. while installing... perfectly normal.

You'll then have latest drivers and GeForce Experience installed. If windows update dumps what IT feels is a suitable driver again at a later date... just go back to that link and put the latest from NVidia on there again. Several times now here, Windows has installed an older driver, or one without GeForce experience... or a DCH driver that breaks the Control Panel.

16. inversnecky

Thanks, I think I follow that!

I did a search with that link and got all this. Have no idea which I should use:

nVidia drivers.png

How would you know if Windows has reinstalled different drivers?

17. Pookeyhead

if you let it do it, it probably did... not that they won't work or anything, but you probably will not have GeForce Experience, so you may as well do it yourself ensure you have the correct, most up to date drivers.

What is your GPU and I'll go have a look to make sure you are looking at the right thing.

however.. assuming you did... the second one... The latest Game Ready WHQL driver version 461.92 is the one you want.

18. Pookeyhead

If you are wondering what the difference is, Studio drivers are optimised for creative applications and 3d rendering etc... but the differences in performance in games is minimal... but Game Ready (Standard not DHC) Drivers are the ones you should chose for gaming.

19. Pookeyhead

Ahh.. I think I see what you mean. You mean how would you know if it has changed anything after you have manually installed your own drivers? Hard to tell, but a program like GPU-Z will tell you what driver version you are using. I would just regularly check if there are new versions available and install them yourself as a matter of routine by regularly visiting that link I gave you.

My comment was more about whether you have ever manually installed drivers direct from NVidia though, or whether you have always just let Windows install them.

GPU-Z is a useful app to have installed for a whole host of reasons...

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

20. daisyc

daisyc New Member

The part 3 of this article: How to Record Team Fortress 2 (TF2) Gameplay shows you how to record gameplay with OBS. I think the relevant settings should be similar. Maybe you could check it out if necessary. It's been a long time since I used OBS. Now I'm using another easier-to-use screen recorder called Joyoshare VidiKit. It is able to record game videos in 4K or HD quality with no watermark and no time limit. I think maybe you could use it as an alternative.

21. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Xbox.jpg
    If you have Windows 10 you already have. Go to settings gaming and open the Xbox Game Bar.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021