Dirt On Windows/glass Not Showing In Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 24, 2021.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why dirt and strains do not show up on the windows in TSW, despite it being applied in the textures and materials? In TSW the glass will be pristine clean, with not a spec of dirt.

I assume this has something to do with the way UE4 and/or TSW renders things?

Below you can see it has been weathered appropriately in the project texture and material, however it just does not show up in game.

upload_2021-3-24_16-20-48.png
    upload_2021-3-24_16-21-16.png
    TSW2_Josh_1614898923_00.jpg TSW2_Josh_1615422136_00 (2).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

No idea why, but all I can say is thank you, whatever the reason. I can't stand that grime on the cab window - always in the same spot, never able to move it, no choice but to let it spoil the view. If I was a driver I'd be cleaning the windows, not leaving it there year after year.

• Like Like x 5
  3. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

I see the dirt when I point the train with my flashlight at night

4. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Yup totally with you. It may even be a conscious design decision to give the player the clearest view.

5. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

If you guys play or have played Snowunner in first person you have seen that all glass is weathered on trucks and scouts. This has an impact on seeing what's ahead particularly when the sun is in front. The rest of the time you can notice it and it makes sense to be there given you're surrounded by dust and dirt but it's not affecting gameplay at all.

It's not for everyone however so perhaps DTG wanted the safe approach and not render it. But at the same time, the dashboard's edge reflection in the cab of the ICE 406 is extremely annoying.
    In my opinion, you either remove all such effects or nothing at all just to be consistent. Because if they want to eliminate subjectivity in players' tastes, they should do the same internally.

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You can certainly see the grunge on the glass of SPG's diesels.

7. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Of course there’s the licensing as well which affects the weathering. Some companies aren’t going to want to see their trains represented as dirty, even just a little bit for realism.

8. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I understand what you’re saying, however in this case, the dirt has clearly been modelled when they modelled the train, as seen in the above screenshots.

So it looks like it’s a rendering issues or only appears in direct light.

9. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It's there, you can see it. The "dirt map" functions like real life, where the blotches are more apparent when direct, intense light shines upon it (particularly from the other side of the glass as the light source, as opposed to viewing the reflection of the sun in the window). If you have ever driven a vehicle with a dirty windscreen, you will recognise the effect of direct vs. indirect light on the visibility of the dirt. Try doing a westbound service at sunset or eastbound at sunrise to see the material effect more pronounced. Alternatively, shine your flashlight upon the window. This is not a rendering issue, but rather a clever material rendering technique.

upload_2021-3-24_14-0-10.png

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2