Arosa Streaming First Impressions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by fabristunt, Mar 19, 2021.

1. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Be prepared, the stream of tree Sim World is going to start

• Like Like x 1
  2. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know, Train sim world*. I know autocorrect can be a big pain in the butt!
    9C25DA60-4BC6-4DA2-B38A-2CF77F56E622.jpeg 48B11BE9-26BB-4D65-884C-35EC703F1F8B.jpeg 45BB9AF7-3793-47F9-8289-912A103AC3F0.jpeg ACC55B5E-44D9-4790-8059-FC6537B48A31.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

The wiper sound keeps cutting out...

4. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

You don't have LGV Marseille-Avignon, do you?

With continuous gradients of 3.5 degrees (roller coaster effect) and a very high speed, cruiser control is like not having it. Not only that, but also where the power changeover occurs you are on a gradient of 2.5 (and with the circuit breaker closed) the dynamic brake you use to keep you on 160 or 140 km / h (depending on the direction) stops working and you have to remember to use only the train brake (same as for the stop). Also, in Marseille you have to take references (Portique 1, 2 and 3) because the tables with speed limits are very limited and lacking (even on the real line). What is extremely technical about moving at 20-30 km / h on a single rail? Is a constant gradient with a 4-car train (and a primitive safety system) for you something more technical than a TGV?

A bit like saying that you practice with a Boeing 747 and then move on to a single-engine ultralight that you can drive at 16 years old.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Watching the preview stream now and some of these bugs mentioned makes me wonder if they are rushing the DLC. I am still getting it tomorrow and hopefully the bugs are sorted out in coming weeks but can't stop feeling a bit disappointed

• Like Like x 1
  6. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

What the stream right now is proving at least to me is, that it looks way better with snow (something that could be argued for many routes interestingly enough), even with fewer trees. Not perfect, but way better (apart from the surroundings of the viaduct, it looks a bit off). So it might really just be down to the texturing. If the mountain texturing was made in a way that it simulated forests, instead of being bright green everywhere, one might have an easier time overlooking that the mountains are not packed with trees.Surely a lot of people were looking at this route ready to take a compromise, and that might have been the sweet spot. But thats all might, could, would and if...
    Personally I would be happy drivig that route in snow as it is but that still does not make me want to buy it at 20+€ unfortunately...

• Like Like x 4
  7. appledates#4945

I know when I am driving on LGV I can set my speed and sit back and make little speed adjustments along the way until I reach either the change over and reach my destination I don’t need to worry about much that else. It seems like on Arosa we will be tackling grades as steep as 6%. Almost double that of the steepest grades in all of TSW2. Which even with a 4 train set, will surely be a challenge and require attention while we twist and turn around a mountain side, whether your going up or down, I’d argue much more diverse then the LGV route. Add in that we will have to stay on time having to stop at 8 stations compared to the usual 1 station stop you make on LGV, I’d say this route will no doubt be challenging to drive. Maybe the GE 4/4 isn’t more challenging to drive, but placed on this route in particular it will be. I also don’t know much about Boeing 747 or Ultra lights but if a 16 could drive either one, I’m impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

I have the DLC and I like the TGV Duplex (and the LGV, I'm French). But between Aix-en-France and Avignon, you can put the "cruise control" at 10km/h below the limit and you don't have to touch the train brake. On Arosa, downhill, you have to use the train brake and accelerate at the same time. In addition, you have 8 stations on Arosaline (3 on LGV), not to mention carpentry and therefore much more interaction.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

The cars are driving through the train and stopping when it's not there. Something went wrong here.

Moreover, it looks like the bugs related to lighting in IOW will be present on Arosa too. I am referring to AI trains not using headlights and train lights...

• Like Like x 2
  10. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Driving uphill though is pretty much like having cruise control on so doesn’t matter how steep it is not much to do other than set the controller to 3 or 3.5 and sit back and relax so still lots of time to notice those far off textures.

11. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I think Rivet needs to polish the interaction with the traffic in Chur....
    Sin título.png

• Like Like x 8
  12. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

On the bright side, the background mountain scenery in that shot doesn’t look half bad.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the post above: this may be the only route which looks better with deep snow :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Actually, believe it or not, Great Western Express was DTG's second ever route, releasing initially in September 2017. It is quite a seasoned veteran! NEC followed after Rapid Transit and released in March of 2018, making it the fourth route in the saga.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  15. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

This has been added to Jasper's list for Rivet to take a look at. Thanks!

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

Everything covered in show, hides the worst of the ugly stuff, and we already know / saw that, from the first stream. There's a reason this stream was done in the winter with snow covered, everything. It does not change what is there when no snow, and according to, Jasper is his name?, they not going to do a dang thing about any of it. Instead we got to hear about a long list of bugs already known to them (why is it released with so many bugs already known?), shown a new "feature" with the roundabout and cars that epically failed. Also, Jamie got a chaperone?

• Like Like x 8
  17. appledates#4945

3144381B-145C-47BC-A3AA-2E3822DDD649.jpeg
    Watching this second stream has made me believe even more that Arosa will be one of the most unique routes in TSW2 to date. It’s location, the grades we will be driving, the locomotive and it being narrow gauge. As a whole, this route has beautiful scenery all around. Even with some of the flaws people have posted about.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

You could argue Rapid Transit was the second, as it was the second DLC (Sand Patch has always been in the base game, and Matt said it's had some 2 and a half years of development) - it probably had a similar amount of time on it as Arosa so it may be a better comparison. Just a thought :)

19. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I mean to make no comparisons to Arosa, only correcting misinformation.

Sidenote—I said GWE is the second route for TSW, not the second DLC. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  20. cp1400

cp1400 Member

While I agree it isn't a big deal breaker, it's a blow for immersion. There's one thing I love when driving or visiting special places like the Arosa line would be: Taking in the huge scenery and mountains, and those textures really blow the immersion for me. But that's basically the only big negative thing I'd have to point out.. (textures mainly, like mentioned before the concrete looks rather odd too) the rest is pretty well modeled really. It's a shame becauise this had the potential to be a 10/10 release!

• Like Like x 1
  21. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Yes, I liked this stream better than the first one. It certainly looks much better in the snow and going down those 6% slopes looks like a lot of fun, paying a lot of attention to speed and braking.
    It also helped that it looked smoother and without the slowdowns of the other day.
    I won't buy it straight away but if they do a good job after launch of fixing the bugs and listening to customers (looking at the track record of BR 204 and IOW I have faith that they will) I will of course support them.

• Like Like x 3
  22. JBViper

I don't know if you've seen tonight's stream, with snowy weather, it's much better for the mountains.

• Like Like x 1
  23. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

You mention the 6% gradient and don't you mention the different weight and the huge speed difference? How can you say that driving a GE4/4 is more technical than driving a TGV? Is it because going at a maximum of 30km/h (pratically walking) you have 14 stops?

If I write that the Earth is flat and people leave me a like, it's not that I'm right, eh!
    In the real world, the driver works his way through trains like the GE4/4 to then level up and hope to have the skills to drive a TGV. Not the other.

It will be more challenging, at best, but it can never be more technical.

01 Make Sure You're Eligible
    Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements outlined in the regulations. See FAR 61.103 for more information. A private pilot applicant needs to be at least 17 years old, able to read, speak and understand English, successfully complete the flight training requirements and the knowledge exam. In the end, a private pilot applicant will need to pass a practical exam that consists of a verbal exam and a flight test.
    https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-to-become-a-private-pilot-282676

24. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

In hopes that Jasper looks through here again, I thought that he did a great job answering questions and giving trivia. It was a very interesting stream and the challenging run down the gradients looked very engaging.
    Actually I am kinda curious to what he pointed at regarding freight in terms of "there might be something". A loco addon with new freight cars and services maybe? I can't find information on that for the route though, given that by the wording at the end of the stream neither Allegra nor Capricorn seem to be in development.

• Like Like x 4
  25. appledates#4945

There is a reason this stream was done in the winter time and that reason is because that is what the community was asking for and that’s what they did. They also showed off a portion of this stream with out snow. I don’t think it was a conspiracy as you suggest to hide anything. I’m happy it looks good in the snow as well though!

• Like Like x 3
  26. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

at least they're not being catapulted into a parallel universe like our poor TSW passengers, right? ;)... Awaits bug report describing exactly this. I wasn't expecting AI Road traffic to behave entirely normally given this will be the first time we'll be driving trains on a road with AI cars.

• Like Like x 4
  27. appledates#4945

I absolutely agree. I’m glad we will finally get that chance with this route. Also it’s good they have already seemed to take note of the bug.

• Like Like x 4
  28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I was talking about development order, which wasn't the same as release order.

• Like Like x 1
  29. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I know the cars were not supposed to do that but I kinda liked the effect of cars hurrying to get through before the train did.
    I can imagine people taking their chances in real life if they were in a hurry and a real driver may have to deal with these situations.
    If Jamie had a hang of the brakes he could of slowed a little to allow the last one to pass through instead of ploughing into it.

• Like Like x 7
  30. appledates#4945

That’s a very good point, it being the first time we are driving with automotive traffic I wondered if there would be moment we would have to slam on the brakes, and if you hit a car have it be a game over. To be honest knowing how automotive traffic acts on other routes, I thought Rivet being able to implement traffic the way they have is an achievement.

• Like Like x 3
  31. JBViper

Yes, you're right. Personally, I would have braked and blew the whistle. I think it adds a "watch out" effect to racing drivers :D

• Like Like x 1
  32. GrayDawg

No one mentioned any conspiracy. I just pointed out a reason as to why they did what they did, and it makes perfect sense to do so, from their position. The portion without snow was only in the city, and with just a little shunting, showing next to nothing of what people have concerns about. Only thing mentioned about all of that was, we are not going to do anything about it. Also, of course it looks better in snow, it covers everything not looking so good. So, winter scenarios, good to go! No big surprises there. But that was not what all the previous concerns was about.

• Like Like x 1
  33. appledates#4945

Do you think they will delete the archive of the first stream, so that this could be a true “cover up”?

• Like Like x 1
  34. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I can confirm there is no conspiracy. The stream was in snow as it had been requested after the previous one. The first stream will not be getting deleted.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. GrayDawg

What part of "No one mentioned any conspiracy" is it that you have trouble with? Please let me know and I'll try and explain it s l o w e r and in s i m p l e r words for you. :)

• Like Like x 3
  36. appledates#4945

You are suggesting they did this stream in the winter time only to “cover up” what they supposedly did wrong.
    I would consider this a conspiracy as the truth is, the community wanted this route shown in the winter time and was not indeed a move by Rivet to “trick” viewers.

37. GrayDawg

I said no on ever mentioned a conspiracy...
    DTG Natster confirmed there is no conspiracy...

...but you:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  38. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

And Smoking Man says "Good, good... they're buying the coverup...."

• Like Like x 1
  39. appledates#4945

Really enjoyed the tutorial on Arosa. Such a fantastic locomotive and passenger cars, the best I’ve seen in TSW2. The train itself is very fun and unique to drive. I also didn’t realize just how narrow narrow gauge railroads are, but it’s really cool to see a different width to the track. I also enjoyed having a reason to use my horn, as driving through the city automotive traffic is crossing over the rails for the first time in TSW2. Although we have driven up mountains before there is nothing quite like this experience. Not only are you climbing up 6% grades but you are literally climbing up the sides of mountains that sometime have youfeeling your going to go flying off the edge, I haven’t experienced a feeling of heights in TSW2 like this route pulls off.

• Like Like x 1
  40. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I have not tried r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale - off to give it a crack now - thanks :)

41. cp1400

cp1400 Member

Yes, I have indeed and the fact that it looks better with snow makes me think if there really wasn't a way to make the "green mountain textures" look better than the way they are looking now. At least as good as some other DLC that has been released. Because this way, it just looks like the terrain textures when you just start off a new route build on TS1.

• Like Like x 2
  42. cp1400

cp1400 Member

In a hurry? In Chur? Naaaaaa :D

• Like Like x 1
  43. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

That's what I've mentioned many times - work on the textures. Jasper yesterday dismissed the idea saying it would hurt performance (what? how?) and that it would mean a rebuild for the whole route (I wouldn't say it is that dramatic, just paintbrush the forests and mountains).

• Like Like x 1
  44. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Would gladly lose 10 fps for mountains.

• Like Like x 3
  45. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I feel sorry for Rivet. The same mantras. FPS. Inappropriate colors, bad design - how does this affect performance? Trees... Because simulation is a priority? It is not present on other routes? In these with nice colors, trees, and much more trains? Very ugly marketing. You failed.

For trying to make a fool of me - no purchase. Others will decide according to their conscience. BR

• Like Like x 7
  46. volvolover1972

How would changing a texture affect performance? That’s one stretch of an excuse by Rivet. Changing a road texture to have more realistic shades and weathering would not affect performance any more than the current texture does.

• Like Like x 5
  47. appledates#4945

Why are there games that include “texture packs” for hardware with more power that a less powerful platform wouldn’t receive? Even though it’s a texture, the more detail the texture has the more I am assuming it does effect performance.

48. volvolover1972

You are in fact incorrect. What you are talking about is high resolution texture packs. Some games have free 4K or 8K texture packs that would increase memory usage on a system (although, if you have enough memory for it then there will be no performance hit). Simply substituting a texture for one that is a different color or includes weathering and cracks would not impact performance. It might be more work for the devs, but it won’t hurt performance. It’s kind of like liveries on the trains. Having a more complex livery vs. one that is just all one solid color is not going to impact performance except for maybe using more memory. (Although the additional memory used would be minuscule)

• Like Like x 5
  49. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Is this dlc out yet?

• Like Like x 1
  50. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Yeah but it'll use up more RAM still as the weathering marks and cracks would still give the image more detail. We are talking kilobytes, but it's still more RAM and Rivet seem really keen on keeping system load to a minimum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1