End Of Train Device Psi Value

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Mar 25, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Recently I found out that the EOT does not work in Dash 8.
    Basically, the readings presented on HOTD do not work :)

It surprised me as I was pretty sure it worked at TSW.
    Dash 8 has an AirFlowMeter, which improves the situation for TOO demanding users (huh :)), but...

I decided to check out other SPG locomotives.
    The GP 38 and AC 4400 show 'some' values.
    SD 40 and Dash 8, do not.

What are these values (my question here):
    I did a GP 38 run and saw numbers around ~100 for brakes fully released (ER 90 PSI). Is it normal?

Nobody's complaining here, they just ask... :D BR \o/

EDIT For those who omit the answers below - the EOT shows other values than HOTD. It seems only the AC 4400 is working fine. Reported as a BUG \o/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It does work on the SD40-2.

• Like Like x 2
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Interesting. Maybe I've just picked up some broken service. HOTD was turned-off & EOT was attached.
    Thank You for the info. I will check again \o/
    But the numbers? 100 PSI?

4. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

When I drive the Dash 8, I will park one of the number three cameras on the end of train device at the rear coupler of the last car to get the rear pressure- it’s a cool feature that they display the pressure accurately. If it’s the new CSX hoppers, the device is under the middle of the last car.

Now that we can DPU with the Dash 8, I can just move to the last cab get a rear end pressure reading that way.

The AFM seems to lag the rear end pressure equilibrating to me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Good info. Thanks \ o /

The EOT also acts as a valve. Braking is more symmetrical (releasing the air at both sides). Releasing the brakes is one side (front) pomping BP.

PS don't know how it works with DPU (compressor - second MR&ER?) :(
    ... I don't think so, because the train-brake-valve is cut off in theory, but... compressor alone? Uhm

Poland says goodnight to changing of the guard :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

At a guess, I would say that if an engine's prime mover is running (even if not set up in DU control), then the air compressor, which is mechanically driven, is on line and it will kick in automatically whenever MR pressure falls below X psi, without driver input.

• Like Like x 1
  7. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

What the pressure is depends on the operating rules of the railway its on. Americans do tend to use 90 pounds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Yes we do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

So I am a little shocked to see 100 PSI in TSW. Not a big deal :D

10. Anthony Pecoraro

It should only be 90 psi.

• Like Like x 1
  11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I got a theory then - look at these 2 pictures (same train on both pics):

eot.png hot.png

EOTD is OK (90PSI)
    HOTD act as for 'passengers' (valve feed)?

I'm beginning to suspect something has gone wrong lately. It used to be working well in the past. Or not?
    I've made 2 threads in Technical Reports for SD & Dash 8 but it (EOT, HOTD) seems to not working at all.

PS It worries me a bit, but only a little. I believe in the legend of SimuGraph Objectivity, but it looks deeply scripted here.
    In addition, it was incorrectly scripted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Anthony Pecoraro

Is your brake cut out set to Freight?

• Like Like x 1
  13. breblimator

breblimator Guest

hehe yeah
    problem is - eot vs hot - 90 vs 105
    freight or not - values should be the same (90 for freight)
    reported - now it is Adam's problem :D

14. Anthony Pecoraro

What is the gauge reading?

• Like Like x 1
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

genesis: in the air tonight \o/ haha

Some people in another thread noticed, Dash 8' HOTD is not working properly.
    I have thousands of hours in Run 8 (mainly switching yards) and I like to use AFM better than EOT PSI.
    In TSW I use AC 4400 for esthetic purposes. IFD seems to indicated proper values for air propagation (looking good at least).
    But - Dash 8.
    So I've tried all SPG locos...
    Everything is as usual. MR ER BC BP - as invented (and as prototypical as well? another story, another time... :) )
    I ask about game mechanics in this thread. Looks broken now. I was AFK for a few months - maybe I missed something?
    Is this a known bug? These HOTD indications?

ER = BP = 90 PSI
    EOT = 90 PSI as well
    HOTD indicates 105. This is my question - why? BR \o/

PS that's a bit of a rhetorical question because I've already done 3 reports in the meantime :D

compressor - in the context of DPU - is not a rhetorical topic

• Like Like x 1
  16. JustWentSouth

In the upcoming Clinchfield, the “HOTD” will be a radio call to the brakeman to ask what the pressure on the rear is. In game, we can just go to the caboose interior view and check the gauge; very cool that it works.

• Like Like x 2
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

That's why I'm a little worried. I would like the CRR to be correct in this matter. We are all so excited about this premiere \o/

PS During the presentation, Sam asked Matt about the brakes. He answered something like that - brakes, like brakes, look a little different because they are old, but probably work similarly (the question was about the 'reaction speed'). I am a bit afraid of the simulation level, especially if the game does not know what its values are. For me, the brakes are just an important element. If these parameters are not correct, I'd rather not see them and pretend, everything is OK :D

... Let me say an example: Dash 8 initial reduction is 6 pounds. Other SPG locos are at 10 pounds which is not correct (most opinions aka facts - maybe there were locomotives/valves with different values - I don't know). So now I'm wondering: the train still brakes with a value of 10 (game engine), but shows 6 so that we can sleep well. These are my dilemmas ... 105 ... Uhm :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. JustWentSouth

It has been a while since I tried it and there are some dynamic brake bugs still being worked on I think, but in my experience the initial set on the Dash 8 is lower than on the AC4400 and the train behavior reflects this. That’s one of the reasons why I like driving the Dash 8 downgrade; there is finer control.

The lapped brakes on CRR will allow you to better control the reduction on the initial set. Looking forward to a little old school train handling!

• Like Like x 1
  19. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I hope DTG takes us 'very seriously' :)

Anecdote: In the previous company, I partially supervised the production process. It's a tough industry, it wasn't easy to get the desired end result (not as difficult as making games, oh no!). Sometimes I picked up the phone in the middle of the night - it was impossible to proceed, because the parameters were not so, etc. I would lock myself in the office for an hour and drink coffee. I was 100% sure everything was OK and it was all about 'mental' support. I used to go out and communicate that I had made critical changes and that it should be okay now. These changes turned out to be truly salutary, although I didn't change anything, that's my little secret.

Yes. Dash 8 seems to act as 6 pounds initial :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

EoTs worked well in the other locos (at least before latest patches). The readings can be different while you apply or release brakes and until the air has run the whole train line but after that they must match as both engine and EoT are connected to the brake pipe. If they don´t match is where you can conclude that pipe may have a leak or even you faced a potential integrity loss (wagons were uncoupled).

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It is not the case. 105 PSI is the case. I am very well informed about how this works IRL. That is not my question. I've reported this BUG 3 times already, hehe

PS About other locos - only AC shows proper ('realistic') values. Checked yesterday*. Reported other locos as buged and EOT/HOTD as broken too. 'Not a big deal' for me, but... Adam? :)

*and today, again - check pics above \o/

22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I guess it worked fine once, but it stopped /o\

10:07~

hotd.ok.png

23. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Aaaah, sorry. Yes. 105 psi is clearly wrong in my opinion too. It should stay around the 90 range.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  24. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I wonder on which locos it's not working?

This is from an SD40-2 (YN2 version, if that makes a difference; apparently game logic considers it a different loco from the YN3b version):

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I've checked all on random services. Pics are from GP (PC). Reported as PC related bug.

26. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

It seems to be a GP38-2 problem. I tested Q352 on a base PS4. The service had an SD40-2 YN3b as lead and a GP38-2 YN3b as trail.

The SD40-2 HOTD worked as intended. It displayed 89 with fully released brakes which synched up with the EOTD also displaying 89. The GP38-2 HOTD was active at the same time by having the radio fuse in both units on. Its HOTD displayed 104 at the same time which the SD40-2‘s HOTD displayed 89. Seems to be a problem for all platforms as I‘m on PS4.

I haven‘t checked the GP38-2 YN2/UP/CN, so I can‘t say if this problem is universal for all GP38-2s.

• Like Like x 1
  27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Thank You all for your effort \o/

Just to summarize (my perspective - PC):

AC 4400 OK
    GP 38-2 incorrect readings for HOTD (105 PSI?)
    SD 40-2 OK // I am dumb :) Thx, Lamplight! It was about fuses.
    Dash 8 no readings // fuses closed (radio, EOT)
    GP 38-2 UP OK
    I do not own CN DLC

I've checked all liveries. SPG timetable & scenario editor.

BR o7

28. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Did you remember to turn the radio fuse on? It‘s off by default in the SD40-2.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. paul.pavlinovich

Varying pressures can depend on which reservoir you're looking at, as an example, on the preserved railway I operate on we run at 70psi in the brake pipe and carriage reservoirs. The main reservoir on the locomotives vary from 90 to 120 depending on the loco. A pressure limiting valve maintains the brake pipe pressure. The extra pressure in the locomotive is to allow for quick recharge of the brake pipe. The EOT should always show the pressure of the train brake pipe.

If you're driving trains with Westinghouse (or Wabco as they're currently known) brakes and triple valves controlled by air pressure its really worth researching how they work. Its quite fascinating. This old video is a little dull but gets the message across there are loads of them on YouTube. I would tend to look at the older educational or rail system internal videos rather than the endless bone heads who have no idea trying to explain it :).

TSW2 treats air brakes very simply as does TS. A good emulation of air brakes is rare, Run8 makes a pretty good crack at it.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  30. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is the best video about brakes I ever found in the whole universe. So good :) I love it too!
    Run 8 is more complex in this matter. Probably better too, but last TSW physics changes are in the right direction.
    Dash 8 and GP 38-2 are not working correctly, but this is not a very big problem, not a game-breaking one.

• Like Like x 1
  31. paul.pavlinovich

Oh I agree TSW is headed in the right direction :)

• Like Like x 1
  32. wellington

wellington Guest