Switching From Vacuum To Air Brakes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Mar 27, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This happened to me running a Gronk in NTP. First service was to move a rake of old 12t vans. Vacuum brakes, so I set the selector in the cab, no problem. VR filled up (emptied out) and I was good to go.

After that service, I stayed in the cab, waiting for the next service to begin in about 15 min. That one was moving some BG coaches, with air brakes- so I reset the selector. But this time, the brake cylinder charged to maximum, locking the brakes, and would not discharge for love nor money.

What did I do wrong, and what is the correct procedure?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

May be a bug. I had a similar issue when I discovered brake settings were on passenger instead of freight air brakes.

3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Same thing happens for me. I‘m curious about the correct procedure as well.

4. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

I think you'll find all BGs in the game are Dual Braked. Check the data panel at each end of the coach.
    There would be no need to change the brake settings.(assuming they are on vacuum)
    On the coach underframes are air and vacuum release valves (one each side about halfway along).
    I would guess that the appropriate one needs to be released for the type of braking required, though I've not tried it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  5. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Yep as heardturkey says - the key here are release valves, there's one in the 08 itself which is probably what you're missing here in this case.

I can't remember where the release valve is in the 08 cab - it's on the right hand side of the desk, near the desk - wave the mouse around and you'll see it. Basically change the loco to air brakes, then hit the vac release and then you'll be back to being an air braked loco again. Make sure you do this before you do any coupling.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yes you need to overcharge brakes to release them in that case. But normally changing the selector should be done when brakes are isolated (in dual cab locomotives) or fully applied. This is for safety reasons also as it would prevent train movements during the process. I found that doing that way normally you don´t have problems to release them afterwards.

Cheers