Sehs Extension: Faversham To London Victoria/charring Cross

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by elaineedwards2013, Mar 27, 2021.

1. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

I would like to propose an extension on SEHS from Faversham to London Victoria/Charing Cross, including the Chatham Mainline and Southeastern Mainline.
    Once, they know how to make extensions, I feel it would make a lovely extension. A bit like Train Simulator: Faversham to Victoria, even though it did include the Class 395 Javelin still.

Preceding station
    [​IMG] National Rail Following stations:
    Terminus Southeastern
    Southeastern Victoria-Gravesend : Denmark Hill
    Southeastern Chatham Mainline : Bromley South, Denmark Hill
    Southeastern Bromley South Line: Brixton

Operationally, there continue to be two separate mainline termini:

• The eastern (Chatham) side, comprising platforms 1–8, is the terminus for Southeastern services to Kent on the Chatham Mainline and its branches. This is also the London terminus for the Venice-Simplon Orient Express, from Platform 2, the longest platform. It was used for boat trains to Dover and Folkestone until these were made redundant by the introduction of Eurostar trains to the continent in 1994.
    • The western (Brighton) side, comprising platforms 9–19, is the terminus for Southern and Gatwick Express services to Surrey and Sussex, including Gatwick Airport and Brighton on the Brighton Main Line and the East Grinstead branch on the Oxted Line.
      Services are operated by Southeastern and Southern, both owned by Govia. All services at Victoria use electric multiple unit trains.
    Southeastern
    Southeastern services at Victoria use platforms 1–8. The station is served by a mixture of metro and long distance (mainline) services. Metro services are operated using Class 465 and 466 Networker EMUs whilst mainline services are operated using Class 375 and 377 EMUs.

As of May 2020, the typical off-peak service run by Southeastern in trains per hour (tph) is:
    • 4 tph to Bromley South of which 2 continue to Orpington (all stations)
    • 2 tph to Gravesend via Bexleyheath
    • 1 tph to Ramsgate via Chatham
    • 2 tph to Dover Priory via Chatham
    • 2 tph to Ashford International via Maidstone East of which 1 continues to Canterbury West

As of November 2020, the current weekday off-peak service pattern, with frequencies in trains per hour (tph), is:
    Chatham Main Line
    Route
    tph Calling at Stock
    London Victoria to Ramsgate via Faversham 1 Bromley South, Longfield, Meopham, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham, Rainham, Sittingbourne, Faverham, Whitstable, Chestfield and Swalecliffe, Herne Bay, Birchington-on-Sea, Westgate-on-Sea, Margate, Broadstairs, Dumpton Park 375,
    377, 465

London Victoria to Dover Priory via Faversham 1 Denmark Hill, Bromley South, St Mary Cray, Swanley, Farningham Road, Longfield, Meopham, Sole Street, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham, Rainham, Newington, Sittingbourne, Teynham, Faversham, Selling, Canterbury East, Bekesbourne, Adisham, Aylesham, Snowdown, Shepherds Well, Kearnsey 375, 377, 465

Sittingbourne to Sheerness-on-Sea (branch line) 2 Kemsley, Swale, Queenborough 375

Charing Cross:
    The station has six platforms. All trains call at London Waterloo East and London Bridge. As of May 2018 the typical off-peak service in trains per hour (tph) is

• 1tph to Dover Priory
    • 1tph to Ramsgate via Dover Priory
    • 1tph to Ramsgate via Canterbury West
    • 2tph to Hastings (1 semi-fast and 1 stopping)
    • 2tph to Tunbridge Wells
    • 2tph to Sevenoaks via Grove Park
    • 2tph to Gravesend via Sidcup (semi-fast)
    • 2tph to Dartford via Bexleyheath
    • 2tph to Dartford via Sidcup
    • 2tph to Dartford via Lewisham and Woolwich Arsenal
    • 2tph to Hayes

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I feel like SEHS needs an extension to either Charing X or Victoria for the 375/465. It's not impossible either. Also if Victoria was built that would also help boost the chances of the (commonly requested) Brighton Main line being added.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

May I ask the distance from Rochester to London Victoria and Gravesend to London Charing Cross? If the route was extended I would get the 465. I didn't buy the 465 because the current route it runs on is too short

• Like Like x 1
  4. elaineedwards2013

It says here: Distance between Rochester Station and London Victoria = 29 miles (47km).
    Distance between Gravesend and London Charing Cross = 22 miles (35km).

5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

A 29 mile extension and a 22 mile extension can certainly be done. Maybe in the future. See some route extensions aren't very long yet dtg don't do them

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. elaineedwards2013

Yeah, this would make a lovely extension to SEHS

• Like Like x 1
  7. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

I think Rochester to Victoria could come as its own thing. I would also include the branch to Orpington and the Catford Loop, perhaps with a short branch to Lewisham to connect with the Dartford metro lines to Charing X. Gravesend to Charing X would be really good if it included all the Dartford metro lines, Cannon St and Blackfriars. Also would work as its own separate route and as an extension for SEHS. Each route is simultaneously independent and linked to each other which would work perfectly, and they could easily come with their own rolling stock (eg different variants of the 375 or 465, a SE377, or the 376). Also on my wishlist is the South Eastern Mainline from Charing X to at least Tonbridge... All the possibilities! :D

8. elaineedwards2013

Also the Class 466 Networker too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

How could I forget the little 466!

10. milkyb007

milkyb007 New Member

I'd be happy with just the charing x branch and the 376

11. elaineedwards2013

Ok

12. kevint1972

kevint1972 Member

Now that they've modelled Victoria and the approach to it for the Brighton line, as well as Faversham to Rochester, the Victoria to Ramsgate route would seem like a good choice. It's already a popular add-on for Train Simulator. Of course I'm biased, having lived on 4 different stops on this line over the years and commuted on it more times than I care to think about! However, having played it many times on Train Simulator, I also find it the most fun route to drive because of the variety of scenery and changing speed limits. You go from tearing through the Kent countryside to carefully navigating your way through the London suburbs.

• Like Like x 4