Arosa Spads

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Nozomi329, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Nozomi329

Nozomi329 Member

So I was doing the 3rd scenario to get lumber up the hill. Everything was fine until I started shunting at St.Peter-Molinis. I left the freight cars on the platform, uncoupled, moved forward to run around the train, and when I'm going passing the platform directly next to the station building, I noticed the departure signal shows green with vertical white line on my track, which should indicate clear. However, I still get SPAD at the red-white checker board.
    as I reloaded, it appears that this signal can be passed by contacting the signaler, but why am I expected to do that when looking at a green signal?
    I'm driving with signal aspect HUD turned off. It might be easier to learn about this problem if it's turned on.
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding the signal system well enough, so I haven't submitted a ticket yet. But I'm having other signal related problems in this scenario as well, for example I have to press Tab to go through every signal ever since shunting, even if those signals appears to be clear. the red-white boards and departure signals seemed to be counted as 2 different signals. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I have to press Tab 2 times in a short time period.
    Anyone have thoughts on this/could direct me to some further discussion? Thanks.

2. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, the whole scenario took repeated attempts.

I usually play with the HUD signal indicator off, but had to turn it back on for this scenario. Before every signal, I had to contact the signaller to check once I started shunting.

Once you drop the logs off for the final time and uncouple the locomotive, the HUD shows a yellow aspect for the signal board, then a red aspect at the actual signal 20m after. You then have to wait around 10-15 mins for the train that left the station before this signal clears. Visually, it remained red and I just kept contacting the signaller every five minutes until I got permission to pass.

Contacting the signaller before a green aspect also causes the signal to switch to red, with 'proceed at restricted speed' being displayed allowing you to pass. Passing a signal when on green generates a SPAD, and this is the workaround.

As you mentioned during this scenario, the game appears to see each red/white signal board and the signal itself as two separate blocks, hence a signal showing green, then immediately switching to red as soon as you pass the signal board, resulting in a SPAD. In some cases this means you end up stopped across the track switches as you can pass the board, but then have to stop for the signal itself.

In summary, signals seem broken in this scenario. Contact the signaller before EVERY signal indicated on the HUD once you start shunting and you can get through it. This means you often have to request to contact the signaller twice for every signal. Once at the red/white marker board, then again immediately after before passing the signal itself.

But, this workaround gets you through it :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Nozomi329

Nozomi329 Member

Yeah I was able to complete the scenario after all, but this just doesn't look right for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. roggek

roggek Active Member

The signal system on Arosa is very bugged.
    But I did the "opposite and never contacted the signaller". Worked flawlessly.
    I think for a patch; the red/white checkerboards should have no signal function at all.
    Just as in the reality; a stopping point, and make you aware of what the signal ahead shows. Right now the signal system seems a little "overworked"...

• Like Like x 1
  5. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

If you pass some of those boards though wouldn't you overlap with the other track? I think that's why they have to make you stop at those boards otherwise trains will collide.

6. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

The signals are definitely bugged. One time when it was green, I contacted the signaller by accident and the signal changed to red and I got a SPAD. It was annoying cos the last checkpoint was 5 kms away. Hopefully they patch it soon.

7. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

They explained the red/white boards on the stream. These are the signal point - if you pass it you will get a SPAD as this is the point the next signal applies from. The boards are at the fouling point of the adjacent lines. I didn't find you need to contact twice, wait a while for the points to be changed or the signal setup then contact once and it works.

Paul

8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You may be right here, but I think in the game signalling does not accommodate overlapping areas, so you probably need this to make the simulation work. You can't have it all. Till now I did not see signalling not working, but you should be aware that if you halt the train, the HUD shows the next signal aspect in the forward direction of the engine, so it is not coupled to the reverser. This is the same issue that cases wrong door indications in the hud and incorrect grade indications. This not something Rivet can fix, but DTG has to solve it. Personally, this is a very stupid issue caused by not thinking through the design good enough, so sloppy development at the side of DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Please report this accurately in the technical reports section and maybe at the Rivet game forums as well.

10. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

Someone posted this in a TSW Facebook group. Skip to 57:10 for a good example of this:

The HUD shows green for the marker board, then immediate red for the signal after. You'll need to wait for quite some time for the red to clear (the train ahead needs to pass two more signals, approx 3.5 km). You then need to contact the signaller to proceed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. roggek

roggek Active Member

I was doing the Timber Log delivery and the only time i had to contact the signaller was when i was reversing from the north side of the
    St. Peter- Molinis station to couple to the timber waggons.
    Then i got a green light together with the dotted diagonal line (meaning the track is occupied). So it was a smooth ride for me.
    I think people does the wroing thing to contact the signaller when it's not needed, therefore the red signals and SPADS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I’ve no idea what to do!

When you press contact signaller once I get a “Proceed, as signals allow” or words to the effect, and get a SPAD, try again, press contact signaller twice get “Proceed at restricted speed” - No SPAD!

It’s a strange one!

• Like Like x 3
  13. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

They are stop marker boards like the ones in Sand Patch, in the british routes, the Wuppertal polygonal boards or the german end of shunting signals (when driving against the current traffic). In game all those markers act as a stop signal so you need to ask for permission to override them. I think they removed them from Sand Patch in some of the latest updates anyway. But in the swiss case they are used when two tracks share a common signal. This is probably just the result of a optimization in the interlocking side in real life, as it avoids the need to install extra signals which wouldn´t be required unless that is a line with heavy traffic, it´s logic is easier because there are less signals and routes to manage and therefore is cheaper. I don´t know the real line anyway.

In the facebook video above the problem is not the stop marker (because there is no stop marker in that siding) but the exit signal after the level crossing. If you see the map the only things that protect the train movements at the switch area are the shunting signal at the left siding (where player is) and the two stop markers at the main line tracks. The other signal protects the block after the level crossing but it´s not the real exit signal of that block, as it´s still placed in the middle of the switch area and shared by the two main line tracks (as indicated by the two horizontal light lines). So the real exit signal for this block is the next signal after the signal at the level crossing. Until that one is not cleared by the AI train that is seen in video when player explores the map, the one at the level crossing shouldn´t display a proceed aspect as that´s the only signal that protects the train movements inside the single track section located after the switch. The one at the level crossing should be understood as an intermediate signal, not an absolute one.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Anyway the manual does not say anything about the stop marker boards and I think they are relevant to be included.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Shaun123

Here’s a theory (well, speculation really!)

I drove 1807 Chur-Arosa, this time I noticed that the cab was facing the right way round (so gradients were showing correctly this time as well). I noticed this because I went into “switch livery”. Don’t know if that affected the cab direction?

Anyway, I had no SPAD issues or being held at red signals throughout the journey.

Coincidence?

15. Shaun123

You’ll have seen this post on Discord so apologies for the repetition

I can confirm the issue is cab related, due to the fact the most of time you spawn in the “wrong” cab, which is reflected in the wrong gradients

Out of the 5 services and 1 scenario I’ve played, I’ve spawned in the wrong cab

The service I spawned in the correct cab (right direction) I had no issues with SPAD’s or contacting the signaller/dispatcher.

So I had a little experiment, I noticed that at the “chequered red/white boards” that even though I had a proceed aspect visually at the signal ahead, the board was at danger, but what was curious was the next signal on the HUD was saying 120m, I knew that couldn’t be right as I was around 4-5m next to it, so in fact what the board was showing, was in fact the signal in rear, due to the cab being wrong way round! And this is the reason why you need to contact the signaller!

So I swapped cabs (Ctrl+- / = ) and the signal ahead reset and cleared!

So I can confirm the signal/requesting authority to pass the signal is cab related due to spawning the “wrong” way round.

Rivet/DTG can you confirm/shed any light on this please?

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I have not played so much on Arosa yet but that makes sense as I have seen that those boards behave like the end on shunting area ones in german routes. This means they are changing from red to yellow when route is set according to current traffic but remain red when you pass them against the current traffic (while reversing in a shunting movement in the german case). In the particular case of the logging scenario you change direction at the buffer stop, so this could explain the issue.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Oh that makes a lot of sense - why - because you need to move a little bit to get the signals to work for the direction of travel, otherwise they're nearly always opposite. Nice observation. You might want to post this on the Rivet forums too.

DTG Natster can you please make sure the observation of Shaun123 is passed to Rivet?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think DTG should solve this issue. It is a problem with the core and a lack of consistency. DTG routes have the same issue, you may especially notice this with the BR363. What I do is select the Tab to contact the signaller, then start moving very slowly and then contact the signaller to clear the signal I need. It is a workaround.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  19. Shaun123

Thanks paul.pavlinovich

I played another service towards Arosa, yesterday cab spawned in wrong direction so was officially going “downhill” to Arosa, it’s not an issue with other signals on the route while you are moving. But as soon as you come to a stop at stations, looks like the game gets confused and thinks you are in the wrong cab!

The following solves the issue:

• Swap cabs, then move draw forward.

• Contact the signaller twice

You must do it twice or you will end up with a game over, signal passed at danger message.

So 6 services, and 1 scenario in, I’ve only spawned in the correct “leading” cab once.

So, how do you make sure that happens, is my next question?

• Like Like x 1