Spg It's A Kind Of Magic

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Mar 27, 2021.

1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Simple curiosity - I have never noticed it before :)

All switches ahead are closed. One of them appeared to be open (lined RED). I've already passed a dozen (Cumberland Yard). When I get close enough, they turn green (facing me, lined up, that's what I put them in).

It's funny \o/ Just for fun, like 'containers' tricks!

spghaha.png spgmagic.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Very....Interesting! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

It's a "LOD" thing - when they're a certain distance away, like a lot of things in the sim, they are put to sleep in order to save frame cycles for things that are close to the player. As you approach, they wake up and update themselves according to any state changes that happened in the mean time.

This one in particular could do with being a bit smarter and wake up and go back to sleep again if you change it but... that's why it is doing that right now.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Never noticed that before. I just set all the switches in advance before I start moving and then assume they stay that way. I might check the map along the way, but as long as the path is correct to the objective..........

5. DTG Matt

It's not that they are changing - what's happening is that the internal state is always correct, but the visual state doesnt get updated until you're close to it and then it will wake up and update itself to match the internal state. When you change a junction on the map, you're updating that internal state.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

See, nothing to worry, Crosstie. I was just bored. Important, Matt is in control of the situation :D
    The trains are safe and sound!

• Like Like x 1
  7. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

This happens to all manual switches in all routes. In the case of german points is even worse as the whole switch mechanism changes from being on the left side to the right side (or viceversa) when you are really close to it, so the 3D model pop-in effect is very noticeable. Please try to improve or fix this as it´s something important for driving indeed as their positions are visual aids to know if the switch is in the right position before you pass it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  8. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...interesting issue here (to me anyway)- that approx 70ft of game distance in front of the loco, a switch indicator is not updated until the last second in order to save processing cycles. Seems like an awfully short LOD distance... wonder what other objects to be updated fall into this category? I also wonder if this same limitation applies to the PS5 and Xbox Series X? Sure hope not.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The gantry signals (the square type ones) at Oakville have also an issue. Signal superstructure LOD changes as well when you are approaching them and you see that the size is not the same as it was before, so 3D model LODs shapes are mismatching. This is not happening at Sand Patch gantry signals for instance, nor in any other gantry signals but only at Oakville´s ones. The rest of objects in game appear to be fine. At least I didn´t see anything like that on them. So the switches and those gantry signals appear to be the most evident cases.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  10. DTG Matt

It is too close really, i think it's mostly to keep yards running well but still, it's probably too close and needs revisiting.

There is no specific support for Gen9 consoles (PS5/Xbox Series X/S) yet in the game. What you're seeing is just the same game with the same behaviours as on the Gen8 machines running on the better hardware of the new consoles.

Matt.

• Like Like x 2