Japanese Railways

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NoddyMac, Mar 31, 2021.

1. NoddyMac

NoddyMac Active Member

Whilst I’m not so familiar with Japanese railways, only having seen bits and pieces on YouTube, I think having some Japanese routes on TSW2 could be a great inclusion? I don’t know how difficult it would be to achieve but it could be something worth having? I’m sure there are some beautiful, scenic routes that could be investigated as possibilities?

• Like Like x 4
  2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Hopefully when the borders open up they can get out there and do some research. Union Workshop have previously posted experiments with Unreal Engine so I get the feeling they'll be doing TSW2 content in the future - no idea when, as I believe their current project (a JR-East Shinkansen*) is for TS Classic.

*Most likely Tohoku Shinkansen given it's using the E5 - but could be Hokkadio as the E5 operates there too (along with almost Identical H5 sets)

• Like Like x 1
  3. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

I agree. There's much more to the world of railways than Europe and North America. I enjoy those as much as the next person, but would also like to see DTG consider making routes from other parts of the world, once it's possible to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There are some wonderful scenic railways in Japan just waiting to be captured. You also have the long undersea Seikan Tunnel route. Numerous delightful tramway systems. If DTG wanted some ideas, just run back through the old Densha De Go games, though I fear the likes of the Yamanote or Osaka Loop Line would push timetable mode over the edge!

5. fabdiva

Yamanote certainly would push hardware if fully implemented - 11 car trains up to every 2 mins! - and that's before you add in the parallel Keihin-Tohoku (every 3-4 mins), Saikyo and regional services!

This shows some (not all) of the services on the Yamanote in the morning rush

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some Japanese routes in the game. Not Shinkansen though, I prefer the more slower paced urban or rural commuter trains.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Good thing you mention it, they just posted an image showing progress yesterday. It's showing work on the UV layout of the E5 cab car.
    [​IMG]

Whether they're making it for TS or TSW, I don't know, but i'll be happy with either. Though I would be happier if it's for TSW, it would be really nice to see Japan in TSW. Even though I would prefer a normal commuter route over Shinkansen, I would still get it just for being japanese.

I also wonder how fast they're progressing. We had those early E5 renders for quite a while now, but this UV layout is also for the cab car only. Hopefully it doesn't mean they only have the cab car yet and they didn't even modell the rest. That would mean quite a slow progress, meaning we probably won't have new content from them for a while.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

We all keep the dream..

10. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree that dtg should consider making routes from other parts of the world.Train Sim World 2 feels like Train Sim Europe and North America 2

11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although I agree that TSW could use some routes from other continents, there's still plenty of European countries left out in the current selection as well. Europe is large and features diverse landscapes, architecture, and operations spread over tons of different countries with all their own unique feel to it. It's the UK and Germany that gets most of the attention, while the rest of Europe is largely unexpored territory for TSW.

12. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Totally agree, Europe has very diverse rail systems. The Dutch and Swiss for example have insane frequencies, France and definetely Italy have great scenery that is yet unexplored, as does Austria. The Czech Republic and maybe even Poland could offer people a vintage experience combined with a modern day one, as brand new and decades old rolling stock are both used there at the same time. The Nordic countries (with Norway seemingly the most popular) also have a lot of new things to offer, with unique rolling stock, climates and scenery.

That being said, other continents (mainly Asia) should see some routes too. I don't think that new European countries and Asian countries are mutually exclusive, so lets hope for both! :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. tallboy7648

That is true. Heck I would love to see more German High Speed routes but I do think dtg should go to othe continents like asia. Hopefully we can get both

14. Dinosbacsi

This is another image I found on Union Workshop's page. I don't know what it is. I mean obviously it's a departure board, but it reminds me of the departure board animations they did for the Forest Rail addon for Train Simulator?
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know what station names it says? Would be good to know if this is another WIP shot of something they're working on.

15. fabdiva

Not sure - the Kanji Don't match anything on the line - but there is also the strong possibility of riddle or pun - Japan LOVEs puns

16. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I think mainly for dtg getting the necessary rights needed to do any route from japan is one of the major headaches for them.The Japanese railroad owners wouldn't want to see any route they would allow to be made and released well you know broken,which dtg seems to have no problem doing.They operate with very high standard and any sim of there train system would need to do the same.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dinosbacsi

Yeah, turns out it might even not be anything to do with trains. Got me excited for a second though, lol.

I highly doubt that would be a problem, to be honest. I mean sure, the content is often buggy and questionable quality from our, the players' perspective, but at the end it's a working product and looks nice especially on the outside. A licence holder most likely won't care about the smaller issues that we care about, they just see their train is on nice pictures from the game and that's all.

So I think the issue, if there is any, is most likely due to communication and distance. As said above, Taito must've had an easier job getting the JR licence as they are japanese and they have been making Densha de GO! games for more than 2 decades now. But how well they could communicate with a foreign company from the other side of the world, who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  18. tallboy7648

If more licensed owners cared, then perhaps we wouldn't get buggy and at times with the case of ska, unplayable routes

19. fabdiva

Testing with Google Translate and drawing the characters - they are Chinese rather then Japanese.

Edit: I think it's related to something else -CNAurora- is working on - possibly not TS.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  20. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct and if DTG and an Asian partner wanted a combination of Asian and European railway operation then South Korea fits that because the HSR uses TVM-430 KVB like LGV Mediterranean Line Avignon-Marsellie and HS1 while the conventional network uses Japanese colonial era signalling. That means if one plays Seoul-Daegu-Busan HSR the tutorial will need to warn players on how to deactivate TVM-430 KVB for Japanese Colonial era signalling.

21. Dinosbacsi

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to as well.